643 replies to this topic

McSoccer

McSoccer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

If Veron couldn't get playing time because of his poor defense, then Etienne has no shot. His only MLS cameo this season was the epitome of running around like a headless chicken. I'd bet they bring him on at the back end of the roster and get him a handful of games, but keep him with the USL team for the most part. Basically what they did with Adams this year.

Then why keep Etienne? Let him go play for a club that cuts his style better.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,527 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Then why keep Etienne? Let him go play for a club that cuts his style better.

Cause he can improve. He's 19 years old, another year with USL learning how to be more disciplined defensively won't kill the kid, I don't see why his entire future with the club needs to be settled this off-season. Unlike Veron he's not playing with a DP tag, there's more room for patience.

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro
Replace this thread to the '2016-2017 Offseason Thread' or something....

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts
Keep Marsch.
Biggest need is Royer like / level outside mid

Gone:
Reynish, Zizzo, Ouimette, Zubar, SWP, Veron, Damari, Abang

Trade:
Bileau

Keepers:
Robles, Meara, Diaz

DEF:
Lawrence Collin, DP, Baah, Lade, Duvall

EXTRA CB Long and find a young guy to develop
Maybe sign one of the young NYRB2 guys for outside back

DM:
Felipe, Davis, Adams Dax on reduced contract?
Bubble: Metzger

MID:
Grella Royer, Kljestan, Etienne, Muyl, NEW DP??
Junior Fleming?

FWD:
BWP, Allen
Bonobo for target 2nd striker

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

McSoccer

McSoccer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Cause he can improve. He's 19 years old, another year with USL learning how to be more disciplined defensively won't kill the kid, I don't see why his entire future with the club needs to be settled this off-season. Unlike Veron he's not playing with a DP tag, there's more room for patience.

He's passed the USL. By the end of the season, RBNY2 as a whole were so much better than everybody else they couldn't possibly have been being challenged enough.

Let him play a decent number of first team games. If he stumbles a little so what. It will be better for him and the team in the long run, than just watching him dominate overmatched opponents in the USL.

DP3

DP3

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Fulham

Well we know Curtis isn't afraid to make some pretty big, possibly unpopular decisions. I could see him trading Dax or BWP.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Veron should be sold if we actually plan on using the DP slot/cap space on someone else.  If not, keep him as a super sub, or maybe he can break into the lineup next year.

Frankly, since I am merely a fan and a not a fancy American soccer writer, I'm going to congratulate Wright-Phillips on a well hit goal. If I was an American soccer writer, I'd claim that the recently retired Henry was wearing an invisibility cloak and carried the ball into the net for the obviously unskilled Wright-Phillips.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Supports:Metro

He's passed the USL. By the end of the season, RBNY2 as a whole were so much better than everybody else they couldn't possibly have been being challenged enough.

Let him play a decent number of first team games. If he stumbles a little so what. It will be better for him and the team in the long run, than just watching him dominate overmatched opponents in the USL.

Etienne isn't past the USL.  He has maybe one of the biggest upsides of players there, but it's not as if he was bossing the league.  He does deserve some first team minutes though.

Frankly, since I am merely a fan and a not a fancy American soccer writer, I'm going to congratulate Wright-Phillips on a well hit goal. If I was an American soccer writer, I'd claim that the recently retired Henry was wearing an invisibility cloak and carried the ball into the net for the obviously unskilled Wright-Phillips.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Etienne isn't past the USL.  He has maybe one of the biggest upsides of players there, but it's not as if he was bossing the league.  He does deserve some first team minutes though.

Yeah its hard to be past a league when you don't even put up double digit goals or assists.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,782 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Honestly all the pieces were there to win the Cup this year. Not really sure what we need to add unless it's a DP winger that is going to play consistently.

I do not want to get rid of Dax or Felipe, but a more impact player in that spot could help.

McSoccer

McSoccer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Yeah its hard to be past a league when you don't even put up double digit goals or assists.

RBNY2 is such a well balanced team. The production came from everywhere. Etienne will not be pushed hard enough by USL for an entire season next year. And Marsch has shown an unwillingness to give guys that haven't won the job outright, any real minutes.

Davis is a better CM than Muyl is a winger. But because Davis is behind Dax & Felipe in Marsch's depth chart, he'll see very little time unless there's an injury. And Muyl gets every start, just because there's no one (in Jesse's mind) better in his specific role.

Not saying Davis should play as much as Muyl, but there shouldn't be the discrepancy there currently is.

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts
  • Interests:Candy Crush
  • Supports:Los Red Bull de Nueva York

Let's see who we lose in the expansion draft first.

Marsch's biggest disappointment this season were the 2 goal leads that were blown. Maybe he learned how to milk the clock like the Expos, I mean Impact, did today. It wasn't pretty, but it was effective. As for the playoffs, well, we suck at knock-out games. Nothing much a new coach will do better.

FC Metropolis 7 Gotham City FC 0

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Everton

Well we know Curtis isn't afraid to make some pretty big, possibly unpopular decisions. I could see him trading Dax or BWP.

Trading BWP would be a Petke level move at this point.  Sure, he's not the best in the air, but look at his numbers - his efficiency as a striker was ridiculous this year.  His 'off' year was 17 goals and 7 assists.  I just question with production like that, whether it even could be effectively replaced, especially at what he costs, which is not much relative to production.

I feel we haven't seen the best of Veron, but Marsch doesn't play him, so they need to let him go, PROVIDED THAT they use the DP slot.  This team has a very nasty habit of squandering those. 

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Supports:NYRB
BWP's numbers have been great and he hit a super hot streak late in the regular season, but you have to consider all the service he's had. He's been put in great positions, and made a lot of those chances (he's actually +6 over xG in 2016 which is surprising to me), but he's been far from perfect and missed a ton of sitters, including a pair in the first game against Montreal. You can't replace him with just anyone, no one is saying that, but he's by no means irreplaceable.

999duo

999duo

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Bolton, Swansea
We need a plan B going forward akin to the 4-4-2 they tried out in preseason. I believe we'll never get over the hump in the playoffs if we can only show teams one look.

A long ducking year to wait in the meantime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users