396 replies to this topic

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,355 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

I hope Veron turns into an awesome player for us, but the first half of this season has to be his last chance. If he's not earning a starting spot by the summer transfer window, we make a move. 

Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, football, hockey, basketball, baseball
  • Supports:Red Bulls

I am just so tired of this guy.  Always seems to be coming back from an injury and trying to regain his form.  To me, he looks like a wasted DP

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Dude is legit garbage. If you're thinking of posting in his defense going forward, just don't.

Henry_Krinkle

Henry_Krinkle

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Supports:NYRB,Arsenal
It should've happened by now. This is what we have with Veron. Nothing more. Flashes of potential or a quick burst, complaining for a penalty every time he hits the ground, a blank look on his face and perpetually injury prone.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

I've been hating the guy forever, and it's nice to see everyone else come around. I am sure the FB group is still in love with the guy though.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,621 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I refuse to hate on the guy, last game he looked very good, but the injuries....  he looked hurt, not injured.     The histrionics looked more like drama than passion.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Supports:Metro
The worst part about him getting hurt last game is that in a few months when hindsight has made people forget that we looked like absolute garbage in both legs, people will jump to "but if Veron wasn't hurt, we would have had a chance!" Just like they did with "but we were a goal from MLS Cup!" after we lost to Columbus.

Frankly, since I am merely a fan and a not a fancy American soccer writer, I'm going to congratulate Wright-Phillips on a well hit goal. If I was an American soccer writer, I'd claim that the recently retired Henry was wearing an invisibility cloak and carried the ball into the net for the obviously unskilled Wright-Phillips.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Missed the first few minutes.  What exactly happend?  Any video? 

Any full highlights?

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

I refuse to hate on the guy, but the injuries....  he looked hurt, not injured.     The histrionics looked more like drama than passion.

this

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,964 posts

Part of being good is staying healthy and he's showing he can't do it.

MTF

MTF

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, USMNT

Veron probably would be a star in the USL, but he's just not MLS caliber.  Has skill, but it just doesn't translate here.  He looks like a lost puppy...a guy who's been homesick to return to Argentina the past two years IMHO.  Amazing. Two years ago if you'd shown me Mike Grella and Gonzalo Veron on paper (or YouTube!) I'd easily have said, "Let's take Veron."  Whether it's just pure desire or perhaps returning home, Grella to me has just shown that he wants to make things happen.  People have been waiting two years for Grella to take his rightful place on the bench ("...too slow, tries to do to much, poor final decision...").  I'll take the Grellas, Dax McCarty's, Felipes, Robles' any day, the guys with fight and pride.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Hopefully this ends the never ending Veron discussion.   He should take his place in the pantheon of biggest Metro busts with Marquez, Matthaus, and the king of goals.  Who else am I forgetting?

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Two years ago if you'd shown me Mike Grella and Gonzalo Veron on paper (or YouTube!) I'd easily have said, "Let's take Veron."  Whether it's just pure desire or perhaps returning home, Grella to me has just shown that he wants to make things happen.  People have been waiting two years for Grella to take his rightful place on the bench ("...too slow, tries to do to much, poor final decision...").  I'll take the Grellas, Dax McCarty's, Felipes, Robles' any day, the guys with fight and pride.

Grella is an intelligent player and makes good decisions despite his limited athleticism.  Veron has lots of skill and athleticism but is among the worst decision makers to ever play for this team.  The guy just does not have a good soccer IQ.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

IQ goes so far, in all sports. Go look at the best QBs in the NFL. Hardly athletic beasts, yet they have a high IQ for the game. IQ + limited athleticism > no IQ + all the athleticism, generally speaking anyway. Look no further than Stache.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Grella is an intelligent player and makes good decisions despite his limited athleticism.  Veron has lots of skill and athleticism but is among the worst decision makers to ever play for this team.  The guy just does not have a good soccer IQ.

I would say Veron has fairly poor final pass / shot decision making.  Can't put shot in there because he almost never shoots.

We had GrZizzo - we need Grel-Ron or Ver-Grella.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users