38 replies to this topic

PaintThisCityRed

PaintThisCityRed

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Supports:MLS, USA

Is he a CM? How far down the depth chart would he have been? Behind Davis, Adams, Valot, etc...?

He's definitely more of a goal scorer. Either a striker or an attacking midfielder.

Fuck the right wing.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,336 posts
  • Supports:Metro

And if they traded him to Philly, that means they are confident he's not going to be very good.

Or they just took the highest bid.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

They are smarter than that... They've proven it.

In the case of Sam and Najem, you only take the highest bid from a rival if you are confident that the player isn't going to really make you pay.  If you believe the player can make you pay, you take a smaller return from a team out west.  And I would do the same damn thing in regards to that.  I can't speak confidently on Najem as a player/person, but they get to see him a whole lot more.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

He's definitely more of a goal scorer. Either a striker or an attacking midfielder.

So behind Davis (who could definitely be a 10 in this system), Bezecourt, Valot, Flemmings, etc...

If they took the highest offer, and they definitely may have, and the offer was shitty, that means RB weren't the only club to not think that highly of Najem.

I'm in no way defending the move, I don't enough about Najem, but this is going to be an issue moving forward with both the Academy & USL squad excelling. Aging players like Dax and players that are 2-3 down the depth chart at the USL are going to be moved more and more frequently.

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull

People got their knickers in a twist when we didn't sign Metzger to a HG contract and then he got drafted by DC . . . and then got cut by them and signed with RBII.  So, I'll reserve judgment on this for now.

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

In the case of Najem, I have a hard time believing that money was the issue (maybe a 100k difference was likely the gap?) especially considering there are other ways to save more money.

Hell, look at the Veron transfer.

Just leads me to believe that they didn't like Najem for whatever reason.  And if they traded him to Philly, that means they are confident he's not going to be very good.

We paid Tyler Adams more than 80k last year, so have to believe if they thought he was good enough they would pay him.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,906 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT
So here's the tricky thing.

Good move: We had a player reattach to us that could have easily gone top 5 in the draft, signed a Gen Adidas contract and make the money he wanted. Since he reattached, we "own" his rights and just traded him and will get something in return since he sits so far back in the pecking order.

Also, what's to say it's not another Bryan Gallego or Dan Metzger?

Bad Move: Najem is a stud. What do we get in return for a player who is top 5 draft potential?

Also, again we are sending a message to our academy players and their parents that says, if you stay attached, we own you. More players will detach.
2013 & 2015 Supporters Shield Winners
As Long As We're Breathing

@CurseofCaricola

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Good move: We had a player reattach to us that could have easily gone top 5 in the draft, signed a Gen Adidas contract and make the money he wanted. Since he reattached, we "own" his rights and just traded him and will get something in return since he sits so far back in the pecking order.

Bad Move: Najem is a stud. What do we get in return for a player who is top 5 draft potential?

Also, again we are sending a message to our academy players and their parents that says, if you stay attached, we own you. More players will detach.

Not disputing he was Top 5 draft material, but if that's the car why did we get so little for him. The 4th pick went for $250. City may be stupid and overpaid, but by that much?

And what does trading Dax to give Davis & Adams say?

PaintThisCityRed

PaintThisCityRed

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Supports:MLS, USA

Saw this interesting post by some reddit user that might explain things. I don't know how true it is. 

"There's a limited amount of money teams can spend on Homegrown players. There's a pool of money that can be spent to bump Homegrowns above the minimum, but it's a finite amount spread out among all of them. The team is already stretched paying Davis/Adams/Etienne/etc. and has more players to sign.

There's also complications involving playing time and where he would be on the roster."

Homegrown Players may occupy a spot on the Senior, Supplemental, or Reserve Roster. If a Homegrown Player is initially added to a Club’s Supplemental or Reserve Roster and subsequently moved to the Senior Roster, he cannot be moved back to the Supplemental or Reserve Roster except if he is earning either (i) the Senior Minimum Salary Budget Charge or (ii) Reserve Minimum Salary Budget Charge.

https://www.reddit.c...s_hg_rights_to/

Fuck the right wing.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,336 posts

Jesus Fucking Christ, MLS. No wonder no one can comprehend it.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,662 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Saw this interesting post by some reddit user that might explain things. I don't know how true it is. 

"There's a limited amount of money teams can spend on Homegrown players. There's a pool of money that can be spent to bump Homegrowns above the minimum, but it's a finite amount spread out among all of them. The team is already stretched paying Davis/Adams/Etienne/etc. and has more players to sign.

There's also complications involving playing time and where he would be on the roster."

https://www.reddit.c...s_hg_rights_to/

Homegrown players do not count against the salary budget if they are registered using supplemental roster slots, but do count against the salary cap if they are registered using senior roster slots.  There's $125K outside of the cap per team to use on HG's.  

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Top league by 2020.

Frankly, since I am merely a fan and a not a fancy American soccer writer, I'm going to congratulate Wright-Phillips on a well hit goal. If I was an American soccer writer, I'd claim that the recently retired Henry was wearing an invisibility cloak and carried the ball into the net for the obviously unskilled Wright-Phillips.

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts

Top league by 2020.

Classic.

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,193 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Well the we own you route is not terrible if rbny is upfront with kid on where he stands and sends him to a team of his choosing if the kid does not have a future.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

Jesus Fucking Christ, MLS. No wonder no one can comprehend it.

This is the type of crap where when I try to defend the league to eurosnobs they can point to it and win the argument in one shot.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users