34 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,662 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

This is true... But we'll sign a DP this summer.  Just like we have the last two years.  Marsch seems to have this wait and see approach as far as identifying what our weaknesses are, and then addressing them in the summer.

Personally would rather shoot the cannon off in the winter and make every acquisition you can think of, but I do understand the rationale of what we're doing.

It's his third year, with a very stable roster.    He damn well ought to know by now what our weaknesses are.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

It's his third year, with a very stable roster.    He damn well ought to know by now what our weaknesses are.

Sports don't tend to work that way.  Players aren't constants like it's a video game or something.

Every new season is a different world.  Guys and their abilities change.   Injuries are a huge factor.  We have no idea if BWP is going to suffer his big drop off this season.  He's at the age now where it could all be over very quickly.  If someone like him loses a half step, the complexion of the team changes quickly.  He's not a particularly good passer of the ball, certainly not great in the air.  He loses a step and he's not scoring 14 goals, let alone 24 like last season.

A lot of people around here would probably put a lot of resources into a centerback, but if a scenario happens where BWP falls off and Veron (who's never seemed completely natural at finishing) doesn't score goals, then our significant need is 100% forward.

Metro4LIFE

Metro4LIFE

Electron Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,412 posts
  • Interests:Metro, Graffiti, Art, Hookers
  • Supports:Metro

I understand the business/talent side of things but for once in our history I would like to have a "franchise" player. Every single one of our fan favorites gets shipped out after 3 or 4 years max. its not like it isn't doable, players ply their careers out on 1 team in MLS all the time.

This is one of the things I think builds team culture and allows fans to get behind someone. Something we have only been able to do in short spurts. And by continuing to ship them out you are constantly letting down your fans. Again its not about 1 player or 1 situation its about the history of these teams shipping out fan favorites as soon as they start becoming a staple on the club, starting with Savarese.

Soy Del Metrooooo, Del Metro soy yoooooooo!

FootballClubMaps.com :: High Quality Football Posters from around the globe. Get yours today!

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,897 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Serg - don't think that's possible, given that most good players, once they get going in MLS, look to move, unless they are overcompensated to stay. 

Komba - those are a lot of bold statements. but i think you could be slightlyonto something. although, we see sacha sorta do the same, when he got in Veron's grill several times. it could be similar though, when Magic Johnson constantly rode Vlade Divac to improve back in the day. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,662 posts

Sports don't tend to work that way.  Players aren't constants like it's a video game or something.

Every new season is a different world.  Guys and their abilities change.   Injuries are a huge factor.  We have no idea if BWP is going to suffer his big drop off this season.  He's at the age now where it could all be over very quickly.  If someone like him loses a half step, the complexion of the team changes quickly.  He's not a particularly good passer of the ball, certainly not great in the air.  He loses a step and he's not scoring 14 goals, let alone 24 like last season.

A lot of people around here would probably put a lot of resources into a centerback, but if a scenario happens where BWP falls off and Veron (who's never seemed completely natural at finishing) doesn't score goals, then our significant need is 100% forward.

Yuo don't know what you don't know... we brought in Veron not knowing Grella would have a great year.    Lloyd Sam fell off a cliff.   But you DO know where our current weaknesses/opportunities for improvement are.  And we seem to have a shitload of money to play with, so we can upgrade now and still leave something for mid-year, if needed.

We HAVE a lot of resources a CB, if  you look at Collin and Baah's salary.   We do not have a lot of resources at RB, where most people have been looking for an upgrade.  

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Yuo don't know what you don't know... we brought in Veron not knowing Grella would have a great year.    Lloyd Sam fell off a cliff.   But you DO know where our current weaknesses/opportunities for improvement are.  And we seemt o have a shitload of money to play with.  

We HAVE a lot of resources a CB, if  you look at Collin and Baah's salary.   We do not have a lot of resources at RB, where most people have been looking for an upgrade.  

I haven't been looking for an upgrade at RB although we apparently have signed a RB anyway.  The only guy I'm not happy with is Zizzo and I've seen enough of Lade dancing on Instagram to know that he's really, really close to 100%.  I like Lade as a player.  Especially at that position.  Dude is a good player.   

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Yuo don't know what you don't know... we brought in Veron not knowing Grella would have a great year.    Lloyd Sam fell off a cliff.   But you DO know where our current weaknesses/opportunities for improvement are.  And we seemt o have a shitload of money to play with.  

There have been calls for another experienced CB, say around DP's salary level,  as insurance policy because of question marks around Baah (hurt), DP (old) and Long (rook), especially with last year's injury nightmares still fresh in our memories. If we also add Murillo at RB, that's actually a decent offseason addressing people's concerns, with presumably more money spent during the year if needed and/or when a special player becomes available. All in theory, of course.

I'm also assuming we can't use GAM to pay Ali's settlement!

Metro4LIFE

Metro4LIFE

Electron Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,412 posts
  • Interests:Metro, Graffiti, Art, Hookers

Serg - don't think that's possible, given that most good players, once they get going in MLS, look to move, unless they are overcompensated to stay. 

I think going abroad is different, but say keeping someone like Dax shouldn't be that hard. And look I don't think 95% of players are going to be at their club for more than 5 years, but every club should have 1 or 2 guys who have been there for a while and possibly retire as a club hero. Every single one of our fan favorites haven't been given that opportunity for one reason or another. Would it kill the team to have Dax here another year? 

Soy Del Metrooooo, Del Metro soy yoooooooo!

FootballClubMaps.com :: High Quality Football Posters from around the globe. Get yours today!

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Komba - those are a lot of bold statements. but i think you could be slightlyonto something. although, we see sacha sorta do the same, when he got in Veron's grill several times. it could be similar though, when Magic Johnson constantly rode Vlade Divac to improve back in the day. 

Yeah, I do think it is sometimes necessary to ride guys.  There's a fine line in that though.  I've always thought the best coaches are the guys who are rough on their players, but for some reason the players love them for it.  Parcells used to be brutal on guys but almost all of them love him.

I never understand screaming at someone who's trying to do the right thing but just doesn't execute it.  Ouimette was trying to do the right things, Dax was just getting pissed at him for making mistakes.  I don't think that's good leadership.

I've even seen Sacha scream at Collin at times but every time it had to do with a choice that Collin was making.  Plus, I happen to think Collin has the personality that reacts the right way to being challenged like that.

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,418 posts
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro

Sacha is my favorite player but that would be the correct move to make...

Unless we win an MLS Cup.  We win an MLS Cup and I have no problem being sentimental.

Don't get why some people want to treat Dax and Lloyd Sam like they are Jeter.

If according to history, it would be Marsch. Who would probably land in the expansion of St Louis or something onto CCL glory and then US job for Qatar.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,897 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

I never understand screaming at someone who's trying to do the right thing but just doesn't execute it.  Ouimette was trying to do the right things, Dax was just getting pissed at him for making mistakes.  I don't think that's good leadership.

I remember Meola doing that towards Kerry Zavagnin and Paul Dougherty. It's why the Three Tenors didn't stick around (cept Ramos). 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

I think going abroad is different, but say keeping someone like Dax shouldn't be that hard. And look I don't think 95% of players are going to be at their club for more than 5 years, but every club should have 1 or 2 guys who have been there for a while and possibly retire as a club hero. Every single one of our fan favorites haven't been given that opportunity for one reason or another. Would it kill the team to have Dax here another year? 

It wouldn't kill the team, but it would definitely hinder Davis' career.

ig101

ig101

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,218 posts

I understand the business/talent side of things but for once in our history I would like to have a "franchise" player. Every single one of our fan favorites gets shipped out after 3 or 4 years max. its not like it isn't doable, players ply their careers out on 1 team in MLS all the time.

This is one of the things I think builds team culture and allows fans to get behind someone. Something we have only been able to do in short spurts. And by continuing to ship them out you are constantly letting down your fans. Again its not about 1 player or 1 situation its about the history of these teams shipping out fan favorites as soon as they start becoming a staple on the club, starting with Savarese.

dax was kinda meh man.  Just my opinion :)

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,662 posts

Having Dax here another year wouldn't result in him retiring as a club hero.  He has many years left in his career.  And "every single one?"  JPA and Dax didn't go out the way the fans would have liked, but Petke got to retire here, as a club hero, at least as a player.    Woly got to finish here, and was taken on as coach.    Who else?  Lindpere?  He went on the play three more seasons - should we have kept him around that long?  No.   Mendes?  Well liked, but hardly "club hero" material.  Jolly?  Not sure how that all came about, but he certainly should have retired instead of dragging it out.   

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,796 posts

Didn't Henry retire as NYRB? Plus all other players already cited like Petke, Woly Jolly etc.

Not really a luxury that is possible in a salary cap league.

1 or 2 players to get behind?  Thats why we have ~9 local guys on the roster.  People should be able to get behind a local guy who made good and now plays in the pros.

Don't get me wrong I loved Dax.  Sad to see him go.  Thought we should have found a way to keep him and rotate. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users