RogerPhoto

RogerPhoto

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

https://theathletic....327/2018/11/19/

Summary for those of you without subscription:
-Condensed Regular season next year: Still Starts in March, will end first week of October. At least two more weekday games per team.
-7 Teams from each conference to make playoffs. So only conference winner get bye. This is apparently in anticipation of the leagues goal of 28 teams.
-Playoff Format will be single game rounds. No two leg matches.
-MLS Cup to be held before international break.
-Season could potentially begin in February in future years to mitigate condensed schedule/avoid giving non-playoff teams too much time off.
-Author hints (in follow up on Reddit) that cap on charter flights might be lifted in future years.

It's all just one more bizarre fudging from the MLS FO.

Why not extend the season and significantly reduce the number of teams tossed into the playoffs (to 4-6 at the most)?  And single-game playoffs are more of a crap-shoot than we're already saddled with.

Such a revised set-up will make the Supporters Shield even a more prestigious prize than it's seen to be now. (So there's a silver lining to their madness.)

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Best argument I heard so far regarding the current format:

We fly twice (to Atlanta to play and back to play our home game). Atlanta flys once (to play here) before the series is concluded. Tell me how that gives us a competitive advantage.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

We fly twice ... Atlanta flys once ...
Tell me how that gives us a competitive advantage.

Solution: We fly twice, ATL take Greyhound.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

Solution: We fly twice, ATL take Greyhound.

I'd prefer yellow school busses, but this is an acceptable solution.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

this is an acceptable solution.

Also, they have to change buses at least once.
Or take AmTrak. https://www.nj.com/n...ay_of_year.html
https://nypost.com/2...rt-near-albany/

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

So 14 teams will make the  playoffs instead of 12.

No MLS games in December unless an MLS team makes it to the WCC.

Will we will still have the "All-Star" game? Hope they get rid of that nonsense.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
I don't ever see this happening but after reading a lot of the posts here a 2 leg home series would give a real home field advantage and solve most of the concerns here.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

ideally, Us Soccer should have the Open Cup start in Sept and it should end at by Feb. Have regional qualifiers while the weather is warm and then during the cold winter months and finals a warm city should hosts the games - kinda like the Olympic games set up. 

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

ideally, Us Soccer should have the Open Cup start in Sept and it should end at by Feb. Have regional qualifiers while the weather is warm and then during the cold winter months and finals a warm city should hosts the games - kinda like the Olympic games set up. 

I feel like that would water down the already suspect product with B lineups that we already see in the Open Cup. Teams will prioritize the playoffs and having an actual full offseason over competing for the Open Cup.

RogerPhoto

RogerPhoto

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

We fly twice (to Atlanta to play and back to play our home game). Atlanta flys once (to play here) before the series is concluded. Tell me how that gives us a competitive advantage.

This is a really interesting and relevant point.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

A second 2-hour flight?

The horror!

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

A second 2-hour flight?

The horror!

Two or eight hour flight, its another day you can't spend resting, training, prepping, whatever. You're gonna say that makes no difference whatsoever?

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre
Gotta think they're flying home right after the game on Sunday as to not miss any training.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Two or eight hour flight, its another day you can't spend resting, training, prepping, whatever. You're gonna say that makes no difference whatsoever?

They can fly back after the game, and rest/train/prep normally on Monday. If it were a huge advantage, we could have tanked and been the lower seed to eliminate it...

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

Agreed. That 2 hour flight will probably consume a bare minimum of 6 hours all and all, between getting to and from the airport, the down time with getting boarded and all that crap, and the time in the air. Thats a whole day thats shot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users