32 replies to this topic

SoccerAddict

SoccerAddict

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, MLS

What a performance against Philly, looked like a completely different player. He's a great fit on the left-hand side, cutting in, allowing Roy Miller to make runs down the wing. When Steele plays out there, him and Miller are fighting for the same space. Lloyd Sam has earned his spot on the right, and with Alexander on the left, it leaves more opportunity for Peguy to play in the middle. Steele might be the odd one out, even after a great year last year. 

Rooney22

Rooney22

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Fucking Metro

Lets see he's never been able to be consistent, I am hoping for the best though.

RedBullsFC

RedBullsFC

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts
  • Supports:club: NYRB/////country: USA

I'm not going to sat Alexander is the second coming just yet, I want to see consistency before making that leap.

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

The best off wing players are the ones that can cut in and shoot, if he can add that to his set of skills he could be a good fit.  

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

DP3

DP3

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Fulham

It's not just Steele left out if Alexander can claim this position, but Convey too. I hope Alexander can lock it up, just so someone is consistently performing in that position.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

convey being left out and being good cover at LB is fine.  steele will get his chances and PT.  i'll take cahill et al's word for it when it comes to alexander.  he's no franck ribery, but i like that on the left we have alexander and on the right we have sam, as bayern has similar-footed players on their flanks. obviously, the skill level for us isn't the same, but i like the idea, i was originally advocating peguy to be put on the left, but this works for me since it prevents alexander being run over centrally. it means though that dax will bear the brunt of all the CDM work.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, football, hockey, basketball, baseball
  • Supports:Red Bulls

As good as alex played last game i am a steele fan.  Guy never stops working.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I think it's fair to say his best games as a member of this team have been on the wing. There's a reason he got most of the playing time at right mid last year. 

Now that's not gonna happen with Sam being on the great run of form he is on. I was skeptical of seeing him on the left but he was very good. 

I think Steele has looked pretty good this year but it seems like Petke has kinda soured on him in favor of Convey. Convey has not really impressed me. Convey should be a backup and our second option at left back. He is going to be our left back once Miller goes to World Cup camp with Costa Rica. 

Let Steele and Alexander battle it out while Convey is at left back. 

But no more Alexander in the middle please. 

Telegraphed

Telegraphed

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 319 posts

Alexander's movement without the ball was good last game. But outside of the perfectly weighted pass to Miller that set up Henry's goal, his on-ball touch was once again terrible.

During the game Cangelosi was raving about how Alexander brings an "entirely different element" to the left side than Steele. I'm trying to figure out what that element is. Cadmium? Because it's not anything drastically different offensively, and it's certainly nothing better defensively. The one discernible difference is Alexander has those 1 v. many runs he completes with the ball twice or thrice per season, and gets a shot on frame at the end of it. Usually players with on-ball skill like that attempt those types of runs more frequently, yet Alexander doesn't -- so it's a bit of a waste.

I just don't see Alexander as clearly > Steele at this point. A bit more offense with the former and more defense with the latter. Me personally I'd go with Steele to start and then a spark off the bench like Lefty Bover.

UpstateFan

UpstateFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

This is what you get with Alexander. He'll be quite solid one match, and then follow it up with 2 games as a ghost. All over the field, yet never where you need him. I like Steele a bit more, but honestly he's prone to the same thing.

Gene Wolters

Gene Wolters

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
I like Alexander on the wing, but Dax needs to plant himsel in front of the defense if he is going to be alone in the center of the field. He's getting forward too much and leaving us exposed. Also, teams are getting smarter and sending a guy in front of the defense and the out wide to draw Dax away from the center of the field. And then they send another midfield to the area Dax just vacated who now has time on the ball because Peguy/Cahill are too slow in getting back.

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team

Hopefully, during the summer transfer window, if we can pick up a solid two-way winger with Alexander's skill set consistently with Steele's work ethic on the cheap, we would be golden.

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I've never hated Alexander, but felt that Dax, Peggy and Sam are clearly better options in their positions.   You can't say that for Steele, even if you like Steele a little more.     And if we have Steele and Alexander as options,  Convey becomes an expensive backup to Miller, and maybe Peggy.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Rooney22

Rooney22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Fucking Metro

Well this didn't last too long, he has been average the last 2/3 games. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

this particular game, everyone was pretty avg.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users