#1 JanderVK

JanderVK

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Supports:CF, CRS, US, DFB, Gladbach, 1.FFCF

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:52 PM

I got bored and started looking through old posts (yeah, that bored) before I became active on the boards again, and noticed no one posted anything about the 20th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster (April 15th, 1989). I'm not sure how many people on here are fans of Liverpool, but it shouldn't matter, it's something that transcends club loyalty, I think this shouldn't be forgotten and I think it should be known to those who aren't familiar with what happened. It's something that is still ongoing, as there still has been no justice for what happened. I know this is quite a few months late, but I thought it needed to be posted.

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/

Posted Image

Posted Image

We are Section 8! We are Section 8! In the eyes of Fire!

#2 BenBurton

BenBurton

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:10 PM

It was terrible but I feel like Liverpool fans try and squeeze every ounce of pity from the world because of the disaster. If they are really hurt by the event they shouldn't taunt Manchester United because of the disaster they suffered.

Lame.

That said, I can still remember the cartoon in the Tribune after the event. It was a drawing of people contorted and scrunched against a fence with the caption "Sudden Death". I hope that editor's family dies a slow, painful death.

#3 JanderVK

JanderVK

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Supports:CF, CRS, US, DFB, Gladbach, 1.FFCF

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:22 PM

I know of the plane crash, but can't say I know anything about the taunting (I don't really follow English football myself). There really is no excuse for it, and thats pretty sad if it happens.

And anyway, it isn't (or atleast shouldn't) be about feeling sorry for Liverpool fans, but for those who have lost their lives.

We are Section 8! We are Section 8! In the eyes of Fire!

#4 BenBurton

BenBurton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:19 AM

And anyway, it isn't (or atleast shouldn't) be about feeling sorry for Liverpool fans, but for those who have lost their lives.

Agreed. I'm still slightly haunted by that image and I wish I could find it. It was awful. The situation was awful.

"May 29, 1985 - Brussels: 39 fans killed before European Cup final when Liverpool fans breach segregation and charge their Juventus counterparts, who are crushed against a wall that then collapses. English clubs serve a five-year ban from European competition.

#5 irish_steve

irish_steve

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,891 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:51 AM

They will have it at the library downtown u will just have to look through the microfilm

#6 BenBurton

BenBurton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:58 AM

They will have it at the library downtown u will just have to look through the microfilm

Tom tried to find it once and couldn't. I'll try there though.

#7 joey

joey

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Supports:chicago fire and the arsenal

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:07 AM

Tom tried to find it once and couldn't. I'll try there though.

your quote earlier was from a different event; you may have been looking at the wrong dates.

"If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing."

"I don't approve of your methods."
"Yeah, well... you're not from Chicago."

http://peterlowry.ytmnd.com/

#8 BenBurton

BenBurton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:22 AM

your quote earlier was from a different event; you may have been looking at the wrong dates.

Possibly. Do you know what event it was?

EDIT: Oh, THAT quote. Yes. That was the '86 disaster when Liverpool fans were implicated in the deaths
of ~39 Juventus fans. I put the quote in there to highlight a different tragedy, it had nothing to do with the comic.

#9 mactheknife

mactheknife

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Supports:fire, charlton, PSG, rangers

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:00 PM

what in the fuck is a liverpool
this guy...this fuckin guy

#10 FireFanInPackerLand

FireFanInPackerLand

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts
  • Supports:MU rah rah, Fire, Celtic, USMNT

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:26 PM

It was terrible but I feel like Liverpool fans try and squeeze every ounce of pity from the world because of the disaster. If they are really hurt by the event they shouldn't taunt Manchester United because of the disaster they suffered.

Agreed, Hillsborough was a terrible disaster, however, was it really any different from any of the other stadium collapses/stampedes that take place in parts of the world that don't have a club team playing on Sky or FSC or whatever every week? One of those places has to have a 20-year anniversary coming up. I wonder how much coverage they'll get. <_<

For the record, I am not a fan of Liverpool, Man U, or any English team.

#11 tzimaki

tzimaki

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts
  • Supports:Healthy living.

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:43 PM

Personally, I always cringe when I hear fellow Americans (or anyone who has learned from the sidelines) talking about these sort of things with any sense of ownership or shared perspective, none of which is going on here but it does happen on other boards. Though I would be mad about the Tribune cartoon had I been around back then.

That is why I have given up most, if not all, interest in anything beyond the actual game.

#12 JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:54 AM

30 years: https://en.m.wikiped...orough_disaster

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

#13 JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Posted 28 November 2019 - 01:47 PM

Verdict in re-trial of police commander:
https://www.bbc.com/...ngland-50592077

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users