43 replies to this topic

MikeV

MikeV

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Supports:Metros

We all hate Philly, but only because the city and its people are gross and terrible. In terms of soccer we have no reason to hate them. In the short time they were our second 'rival' there were no big moments or classic matchups to fuel any long term hatred. Now with NYCFC coming into the league is this the end of the rivalry that never was?

Hard to see people giving a shit about Philly with the Scum rivalry fully revitalized  and now Man City Lite just across the river. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU
NYCFC/Boy City is no less of a contrived, fake rivalry. Let's play some games first.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

gears

gears

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
The game where Freddy Adu was sent off for diving was pretty good. Otherwise, they've been terrible. The Union aren't relevant to anyone in MLS.

InkedAG

InkedAG

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, Arsenal

Philly isn't all bad. Tony Luke's and DiNic's make great sandwiches!  :cool:

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

NYCFC/Boy City is no less of a contrived, fake rivalry. Let's play some games first.

Would it be fair to say that ~80-90% of MLS rivalries fall into that category?

MikeV

MikeV

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Supports:Metros

True, but even before a ball has been kicked in anger NYCFC fans seem pretty unbearable. I already hate anyone who couldn't be bothered to take a 20 minute train ride but claims to love soccer and their local. 

Rooney22

Rooney22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Fucking Metro

Never was a "rivalry" and wont be until we play a meaningful game against them. 

582170_10151050732017840_1320750638_n-58

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

I've never spent much time in South Jersey, Philly, Pennsylvania in general, so I don't have much firsthand exposure to their fans. I really couldn't give less of a shit about that club, from their inception to now. I already hate NYCFC quite a bit more, before they've even set foot on the pitch.

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • Supports:Metro

It's not a rivalry. Has never been one.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Live near Philly. Hate the idiots who do the "this is not a rivalry" thing. We WANT rivalries. Is it there? Not quite. It's had it's moments though. PHILLY-NY/NJ is ALWAYS a rivalry. Flyers-Devils, Mets-Phillies, Eagles-Giants, Sixers-Knicks. So we embrace that this should be a rivalry. Philly needs to do their part though. They suck and we always win (which is actually fine, keep it that way). And I don't honestly hate DC that much. Talked to their fans down there a few times, seem decent. NYCFC fans seem like real cunts though.

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Live near Philly. Hate the idiots who do the "this is not a rivalry" thing. We WANT rivalries. Is it there? Not quite. It's had it's moments though. PHILLY-NY/NJ is ALWAYS a rivalry. Flyers-Devils, Mets-Phillies, Eagles-Giants, Sixers-Knicks. So we embrace that this should be a rivalry. Philly needs to do their part though. They suck and we always win (which is actually fine, keep it that way). And I don't honestly hate DC that much. Talked to their fans down there a few times, seem decent. NYCFC fans seem like real cunts though.

You were doing good for a while......

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

UpstateFan

UpstateFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

Meaningful games create rivalries. It's never been there with Philly. THEY wanted it to be a rivalry, just like NYCFC fans want it, to give an air of legitimacy to their johnny-come-lately club. 

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

You were doing good for a while......

To be fair, I beat a guy on FIFA 2 days ago and messaged him F U DC SCUM. DC has been poop mainly since I started following the team so I didn't endure their Cups or our hardships.

RedBullsFC

RedBullsFC

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts
  • Supports:club: NYRB/////country: USA

Never thought of it as a rivalry , I think now the revs can take that # 2 spot behind the scum.

As for Man City lite, they haven't even played a game yet.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Rivalries in sports always have to do with how the teams are doing...

Rangers biggest rivalry forever was the Islanders.  That really fell off because of how long the Islanders absolutely sucked.

Jets biggest rivalry for years was the Dolphins.  When Miami went in the tank after Marino, that rivalry fell off big time.  If you asked a Jets fan now who their biggest rivalry is, very few would say Miami.

Philthy will be among our biggest rivals for sure.. Same with NYCFC.  Philly because they are scumbags and NYCFC because I think they'll be very good for many years.  Or at least as long as Kreis is there.

DC will fall a bit to the side as the years go.   That's my prediction at least.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users