482 replies to this topic

Tulipani Zi

Tulipani Zi

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Supports:Metro SC

MLS kicks off soccer in this country again in 1996. NY is not awarded a franshise. Even though we had a sucessful Cosmos team, 15 years goes by without a single MLS game or team in NY. People in this area are dying for a professional franchise......then viola, Garber gives up one 15 years later. First season out of the gate NY would aveage 50,000 fans.

Even if the team is named Red Bull New York?

GMoney

GMoney

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Even if the team is named Red Bull New York?

Yep.....for me at least.

I was born and raised in the USA. I'm not under a dellusion that these are clubs. They're not, have never been and never will be. I couldn't care less.

Matter of fact, they put up a couple of hundren million to build a stadium for me. I like it.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

tat106

tat106

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • Supports:MetroReds, USMNT

I would have though that a born and bred American would not stand for such blatant corporatism. That s mostly a European thing.
The NBA, MLB, NFL, or NHL would never allow a Red Bull named team in their fold. They don't even allow sponsorship in the front of their jerseys. I guess with MLS being the red headed stepchild of American sports we would have to put up with this abomination.

Posted Image

The WNBA allows sponsorships on the front of players jerseys.

RBNY has to promote these games beyond the home opener. With so many entertainment options in this region, you have to constantly promote, in order to bring people in. Maybe they're saving their next advertising buys for when the DP's are officially signed.

"It's not genius, it's practice." - Thierry Henry

Tulipani Zi

Tulipani Zi

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted Image

The WNBA allows sponsorships on the front of players jerseys.

RBNY has to promote these games beyond the home opener. With so many entertainment options in this region, you have to constantly promote, in order to bring people in. Maybe they're saving their next advertising buys for when the DP's are officially signed.

First I'd never want to associate MLS with the WNBA or NASCAR.
Second, if we depended on the RBFO to promote and market to generate good attendance numbers we are doomed. We have to turn the NY MLS franchise THE destination for soccer fans in the Tri-state area. That is not achieved by RB buying TV time or plastering billboards all over the city to announce the next home game. For a clue as to t is done look to TFC and Seattle.

MasterShake

MasterShake

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls
why you be hating on NASCAR? what kind of men don't like fast cars and revving engines...cmon now.

LEAVE NASCAR ALONE !!!
He's not a soft or hot drink
Whoever don't like it could suck his straw, it's hot pink
On some junk like Gucci on a classy hoe
Might splash you in the face with nuclear pistachio
Make a fast break, or that'll be the last mistake
that ass'll make is what you get for messing with ..........

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

It's a combination of both. Going into RBA we had a chance to start from scratch. Instead there was zero buzz for supposedly the best soccer stadium in the country. You say people weren't entertained but there's pretty good chance that they won't be entertained in the future as well as no team can be perennial winners under the MLS present structure. Everyone seems to be banking on the team doing well for the rest of the season but past history tells me otherwise. No MLS team can maintain its form consistently during an entire MLS season. Those that start strong out the gate generally start losing games towards the end of the season. Imagine if we had a losing start to the season how horrendous would that be for our attendance.

The trick is to bring the fans in during those tough times. Toronto FC has figured it out as they're increasing their waiting list numbers while their soccer has been horrible. Seattle is doing the same. Perhaps out template should be those two clubs and not RB Salzburg.
I was never a proponent of the Cosmos name but I'm starting to think that it wouldn't have been half bad had we rebranded into the NY Cosmos.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but you are contradicting yourself. You stated that you were entertained at RBA. You didn't say it was only because they won. In fact you say that there is no relationship between winning and atttendance. So don't use losing as a negative argument.

People stopped being entertained in GS, plain and simple. I have had season tickets before almost anyone on these boards. I virtually stopped going to games the last few years. The experience was so attrocious that it was easy to pass up. My friends stopped going as well, so sitting alone in that shitty place with lines on the field and no services and no atmosphere wasn't much of a draw.

People I know want to go again, but only because I am reintroducing it to them. It will take time.

It is your expectations that have been bruised, nothing else.

Attendance isn't our problem, it is RB's problem. As long as you are being entertained, who cares?

All I wanted this year was a team that fought for points. I have that. I can sleep at night.

Next year I'll want more, that's human nature. But that's my problem to deal with my expectations. I'll deal with that next year.

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts

I would have though that a born and bred American would not stand for such blatant corporatism. That s mostly a European thing.
The NBA, MLB, NFL, or NHL would never allow a Red Bull named team in their fold. They don't even allow sponsorship in the front of their jerseys. I guess with MLS being the red headed stepchild of American sports we would have to put up with this abomination.

Bear in mind I wouldn't have even raised this topic if we had a healthy attendance at RBA. I'm not even asking for sellouts at this point I understand that is too much but I am concerned.

It's a balance. Lots of corporations own professional franchises. Steinbrenner bought the Yankee's from CBS, half owner of the NY Giants is a corporation. In our country they really don't name the team after that corporation.

In other countries a sponsor goes on the league name. Barclay's Premirship.....here we don't have Goldman Sachs NFL. Other coutries have sponsers in large lettering on front of jersey's, much bigger than the actual team name, and even using low life gambling websites. Here, for the most part it's just the team name.

Just some cultural differences.

NY Giants have their new practice facility sponsored. Timex Performance Center. Tehy got permission from the NFL to have small Timex patches on the sleeves of their practice jersey's this year. More sports are going to progress this way over the next decade.

I just don't fool myself, it's always about the almighty dollar.

Professional sports has grown exponentially over the past 20 years, that the days of individuals owning team's is becoming more unrealistic. So it's evolution that corporations get more involved. When they do, they'll be looking to cross market themselves.

I care about the investment of the owners and product on the field mostly.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO
look at golfers. it's nascar without the ovals, wheels and a drawl.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

It's a balance. Lots of corporations own professional franchises. Steinbrenner bought the Yankee's from CBS, half owner of the NY Giants is a corporation. In our country they really don't name the team after that corporation.

In other countries a sponsor goes on the league name. Barclay's Premirship.....here we don't have Goldman Sachs NFL. Other coutries have sponsers in large lettering on front of jersey's, much bigger than the actual team name, and even using low life gambling websites. Here, for the most part it's just the team name.

NY Giants have their new practice facility sponsored. Timex Performance Center. Tehy got permission from the NFL to have small Timex patches on the sleeves of their practice jersey's this year. More sports are going to progress this way over the next decade.

I just don't fool myself, it's always about the once mighty dollar.

Professional sports has grown exponentially over the past 20 years, that the days of individuals owning team's is becoming more unrealistic. So it's evolution that corporations get more involved. When they do, they'll be looking to cross market themselves.

FYP :lol:

Tulipani Zi

Tulipani Zi

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

I just don't fool myself, it's always about the almighty dollar.

Notice I used "blatant corporatism."
I have no problem with the RB ownership, as a matter of fact I prefer them over most ownership groups in MLS. My only objection is having named the team after the corporation.
RB only got a pass because they named the team NY Red Bulls which is one of the standards of naming sports teams in the US using animals and is not as tasteless ass NY Pepsi would have been for example.

My opinion is that for the NY franchise to achieve success in the stands it'd have to attract the much reviled Eurosnob crowd, which embraced TFC, and it seems like they're doing everything to turn that crowd off starting with the name.

adiamas

adiamas

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

Harraby!!!!
I think that now it's a safe bet that this experiment of a football team is a failure..
3 games in and the fizzies can't fill that beautiful stadium?
Looks to me that the ONLY way for that place is gonna fill up is putting on friendlys like santos and juve.
Then RedBull becomes the away team on their home turf.......FACT
Or they sign on the DP's and bring in bodies that way.
Then those fans will move on when that DP retires or leaves. (does anyone remember what happened to the cosmos?)..... Again, FACT
If RedBull wants MY support, change the name. It's as simple as that.........
RedBull can't buy me off just because they built this stadium.......FACT
Judging by all the empty seats around me, I'm certain that I'm not the only one who feels this way........ FACT
these arrogant austrians still don't have a clue..........FACT
:pint:

PS- whats with the DC wannabe thugs throwing rocks at the philly buses?????
R U LaNorte in disguise? ( Real classy boys.)
:)+

The only people that care about the name change are the die hards that were tied to Metro to begin with..... FACT
N00bs coming to games know _only_ RB .... FACT
Stating your opinion and following it with FACT doesn't make it so..... FACT

Tulipani Zi

Tulipani Zi

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

The only people that care about the name change are the die hards that were tied to Metro to begin with..... FACT
N00bs coming to games know _only_ RB .... FACT

The Metro diehards outnumber N00bs who know only RB....DOUBLE FACT

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
Well I meant for this post to be a response to the corporation topic but I posted it when this was getting moved so I'll re-add it here...

Just look at how the NHL has evolved over the years when it comes to corporate stuff. They went from having nothing but the teams logo on the ice and nothing on the dasher boards to now having 4 sponsors logos in at center ice and all of the boards have dasher ads on them now. Some even have electronic boards now.

In the minor leagues, the ice has sponsor logos all over the place, helmets have sponsor stickers as well a sponsor patch on the jerseys.

In europe its even worse from basically the entire ice having sponsor logos to players being basically a walking ad. The goalies even have ads on their pads over there!

Take a look...

Posted Image

Posted Image

We will get to this same point over here eventually, it's just gonna be one small thing at a time first but it will get there.

fatcatnyc

fatcatnyc

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts
  • Supports:SATAN & nyrb

The Metro diehards outnumber N00bs who know only RB....DOUBLE FACT

now thats just plain ignorant. count metro jerseys next match..the tide haschanged my friend..us newer rb fans are starting to take over..not as many metro shirts anymore...not a double fact..

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts

Notice I used "blatant corporatism."
I have no problem with the RB ownership, as a matter of fact I prefer them over most ownership groups in MLS. My only objection is having named the team after the corporation.
RB only got a pass because they named the team NY Red Bulls which is one of the standards of naming sports teams in the US using animals and is not as tasteless ass NY Pepsi would have been for example.

My opinion is that for the NY franchise to achieve success in the stands it'd have to attract the much reviled Eurosnob crowd, which embraced TFC, and it seems like they're doing everything to turn that crowd off starting with the name.

Good, interesting and intelligent back and forth. This is what makes the boards fun sometimes.

First on the TFC thing. Throw TFC and Seattle (and Philly) out in my opinion. They are expansion and were dying for a team. Very different then being there from the beginning. But if you follow closely, TFC supporters are already turning on their team. It's only taking 3 years of crappy play but it's happening. They staged a mid game walk out last year and they're crying up a storm up there. They've got a new stadium to boot.

As for the Eurosnobs in NY/NJ, I think you have a valid point. I personally think there's 1 thing, and 1 thing only that will bring them out. Quality soccer with top notch players. With Satellite, internet, etc. you can really watch any game in the world right now. I think a lot of folks would rather watch Liverpool, Benfica, Santos, etc. on their TV in the comfort of their home, rather than trecking out to see what they consider to be a FARLY inferior product. They're not looking to see a midfield battle of Seth Stammler v. Stevan Migliorazi. Bringing in a Henry, etc. catches their attention for a minute, but it takes more quality players to eventually keep them.

Shoot, I was at Cosmos games as a kid too. They had the fad fans and the die hards (Eurosnobs). They also had quality in addition to Pele, and they weren't getting these guys at 35 years old either. Franz Beckenbaur, Carlos Alberto, Georgio Chinalia, etc. There was quality on the field more than 1 star....and there was also not many other outlets to watch games. It was like Italian League on Sunday mornings on channel 13 in fuzzy black and white with Italian announcers.....literally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users