231 replies to this topic

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

they thought he was a 2M or 3M player ... and were willing to go to 4.

Probably accurate.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

None of this is that precise.   Can you really look at a guy and say whether they are 4M player or a 5M player?     That would only be reasonable of they thought he was a 2M or 3M player (Jorgensen money) and were willing to go to 4.   But of all they are looking at are 2 or 3M players, then what the fuck?

Why would Norrkoping sell for 2 or 3 million when they paid West Ham 2.86 million for this guy last summer?

Seems rather soon for them to sell at the same price, or less than what they paid to acquire him.

Unless Thelwell and co. are that stupid and thought they could get this player on a low-ball offer.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

People who cover the team want us to be happy that the richest owner in MLS tried to make a signing that should be the bare minimum for a competitive team and then ran away over a million dollars.

Its really a little tone deaf considering the team's total lack of activity in the transfer market lately. Dyer coming to Red Bull's defense for sticking to their valuation would be fine if we lived in a world where we have been given reason to trust Red Bull's ability to execute the deals that do fall within their budget.

I'm willing to give Thelwell some more time to make impact signings, it is still very early in the off season and he's clearly making plenty of calls.

But if March comes along and we've only brought in role players, there is no silver lining that Red Bull wasn't willing to overspend a tiny bit for someone who could really make a difference. Let the accounting department pop some champagne over that, it means nothing to fans.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Let the accounting department pop some champagne over that, it means nothing to [MOST] fans.

ftfy.

And the champagne won't be Korbel. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Same old Metro.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

Its really a little tone deaf considering the team's total lack of activity in the transfer market lately. Dyer coming to Red Bull's defense for sticking to their valuation would be fine if we lived in a world where we have been given reason to trust Red Bull's ability to execute the deals that do fall within their budget.

I'm willing to give Thelwell some more time to make impact signings, it is still very early in the off season and he's clearly making plenty of calls.

But if March comes along and we've only brought in role players, there is no silver lining that Red Bull wasn't willing to overspend a tiny bit for someone who could really make a difference. Let the accounting department pop some champagne over that, it means nothing to fans.

Probably Hamalamadingdong or deGrandpre feeding him the bullshit trying to assuage the fans. Tone deaf is right.

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Supports:Redbulls

We need to stop with this blind faith in thellwell. This has nothing to do with him. Red Bull is cheap bottom line. How do you spend 2M on a coach, but dont go spend on players.

New accents, same story. Red Bull wont bring in talent.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

Wtf is it with this team and not getting deals done? Do we ever get anyone we want? Its just failed target after failed target.

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

We need to stop with this blind faith in thellwell. This has nothing to do with him. Red Bull is cheap bottom line. How do you spend 2M on a coach, but dont go spend on players.

yes because the transfer window is closed as everyone knows and Red Bull have signed a grand total of zero players since the start of 2020

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

Déjà vu all over again. (Yogi)

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

None of this is that precise.   Can you really look at a guy and say whether they are 4M player or a 5M player?     That would only be reasonable if they thought he was a 2M or 3M player (Jorgensen money) and were willing to go to 4.   But if all they are looking at are 2 or 3M players, then what the fuck?

I cannot look at a player and say he is worth $4MM or 1.5MM, but there are people who can. That's their job. For instance, there are successful stock market guys and shitty ones. The successful guys have a model and stick to it.  Norrping(sp?) required a certain amount and that amount was more than Red Bull thought Haksa was worth. i mean he's young, but Haksa's already failed in England and Spain and has only made waves in a inferior league. I think he would have been very good in MLS, but lets not act like he has a stellar resume that makes him a no-brainer.     

As a one-off decision, I totally support it. In theory, once the selling model is flowing (and we dont have a stream of Jorgensons, Kaku (good but overpaid/misused?), Verons...) then profits off sales get reinvested. Every properly priced acquisition today can self fund two more in a couple years.   

Now I would love papa red bull to gift us an Henry type every 5 years on top of that, but the core of the team has to be self sustainable I'd think.  

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

yes because the transfer window is closed as everyone knows and Red Bull have signed a grand total of zero players since the start of 2020

Our window hasn't even opened yet.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

Our window hasn't even opened yet.   

This gets pointed out every year, and while the MLS window doesnt open until February it doesnt stop teams from making signings outside of the window.

Also, while this season might start at a later than normal date I wouldnt want this team to sign anyone as late as May, especially with how decimated the current roster is.

Get the bulk of your business done before the season starts, and preferably sometime during preseason, whenever that is.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

It has everything to do with him because a lot of people, including me, have a hard time believing he'd give up a job where he was in the ballpark of the Champions League to basically oversee the graduation of USLers.

If we enter March with no big transfers of note I'll be fucking livid with the rest of you.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Dyer says talks are off, we didnt want to pay their asking price. Could be just posturing I guess.

https://twitter.com/...4609841162?s=21

I think there may be some posturing here, actually - at a minimum, Dyer has been fed this info so other teams maybe get the notice that RBNY is not RBL. I would imagine RBNY has a tougher time in negotiations than say San Jose... teams from other leagues have to see dollar signs when Red Bull is mentioned.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users