#1 Murtaugh

Murtaugh

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,856 posts
  • Supports:Chicago

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:40 PM

I don't know how we don't have one of these already. Just us and LA left for the potential US bid.

Anyhow:

Posted Image
Chicago 2016 Website

Wikipedia page

#2 chuck5345

chuck5345

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 02:54 AM

from wikipedia:

The plan has since been revised to include a 95,000-seat stadium inside Washington Park on the south side of the city. After the games, it would be converted to a 10,000-seat track and field venue that could also host other events.

Doesn't it seem like a bit of a waste to tear down such a large, olympic-quality stadium after only a few short weeks of use?

#3 Murtaugh

Murtaugh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,856 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 04:50 AM

Not if they plan it that way in advance and have a plan in place for use afterward. Temporary capacity stadiums are becoming more common these days.

#4 Sixkick

Sixkick

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 06:11 PM

No way is LA chosen for a third attempt. San Fran was the bigger competition until the 49ers fucked them.

#5 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:59 PM

Man I would love Chicago getting the games. It would be off the hook. I don't think the world appreciates the place enough. Chicago is a kickass city, and it really doesn't get it's due for big time stuff like this.

However, LA is well loved by Oly planners, I suppose due to past success, and good infrastructure, plus that whole So Cal weather thing. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the planners went back to the same old well though.

Wish the city of broad shoulders the best of luck with it. City of angels doesn't need another huge event until the World Cup comes back again or "the Big One" hits.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#6 phantum

phantum

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Supports:We Are Chicago ... This Is The Fire

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:23 AM

Great fucking design

#7 chengb02

chengb02

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • Supports:Fire/Arsenal/GuoAn

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:01 PM

Posted Image

The logo is sweet as hell, IF they do end up winning it, I hope they don't fuck up like Beijing and ditch their bid logo for some ugly ass design (sorry, still pissed off about it)...

The USOC unsurprisingly is going forth with a bid for the 2016 games, now we still have to wait a few months to find out if its LA or Chicago. I agree that Chicago hosting the games would be wonderful for the city and would do a lot to reintroduce the city to the world.

#8 Murtaugh

Murtaugh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,856 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:17 PM

http://www.chicagobu...ews.pl?id=23478

#9 phantum

phantum

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Supports:We Are Chicago ... This Is The Fire

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:32 PM

I.
Don't.
Want.
The.
Fucking.
Olympics.
Here.
!.

#10 *L97KID*

*L97KID*

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Fire, Poker
  • Supports:Chicago Fire/Tottenham Hotspur

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:56 AM

I.
Don't.
Want.
The.
Fucking.
Olympics.
Here.
!.

why not?

#11 SoccerDoctor

SoccerDoctor

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Interests:Germs.
  • Supports:Fire

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:00 PM

Just an article that mentions that Chicago is putting together a bid to have 2016 summer games. Wow, wouldn't it be cool to have all those international matches played right here?

OLYMPICS
L.A., Chicago Submit Plans To USOC
LOS ANGELES - Los Angeles and Chicago submitted detailed plans for the 2016 Summer Olympics to the U.S. Olympic Committee, a major step in the process to decide which city will bid for the games next year.

The so-called bid books contain 19 sections, detailing every aspect of the cities' plans - from their strategy to woo international decision-makers to their outline of their prospective Olympic villages, venues and media operations.

"The submission of the domestic bid books is another important milestone in our process and the cities are to be commended for the outstanding work they have done," USOC vice president Bob Ctvrtlik said.

The USOC Evaluation Commission will travel to Los Angeles on Feb. 28 and to Chicago on March 5 for two-day inspections. The USOC will announce its applicant city April 14.

The candidate city must be submitted to the International Olympic Committee on Sept. 15. The host will be chosen in 2009. Other cities that have expressed interest in hosting the 2016 Games are Madrid, New Delhi, Prague, Rio de Janeiro, Rome and Tokyo.

#12 Murtaugh

Murtaugh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,856 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:28 PM

I hope the Tribune has details of the submitted bid tonight or tomorrow. I'm very interested what they decided as far as venues.

#13 Es Brennt

Es Brennt

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts
  • Supports:FIRE

Posted 23 January 2007 - 01:54 PM

This could be worth watching:

Chicago is expected to host many world-class sporting events to promote its candidacy for the Olympics. One of the first programs in this effort is the Chicago Cup '07 in which some of the world's best wrestlers will compete, including the USA National Team challenging Russia for the Cup. The event also features athletes from the United States, Canada and China competing in Greco-Roman and women's freestyle wrestling matches.

The Chicago Cup '07 will be held on the evening of Tuesday, February 6, on the Northwestern University campus in Evanston at McGaw Hall / Welsh-Ryan Arena.
www.theredcardna.org

#14 Chicago4ever

Chicago4ever

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, beer, games, ... , ... ,
  • Supports:UIC, FIRE, RAMPAGE

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:08 PM

I'm very interested what they decided as far as venues.

This was already in the Daily Herald 2 weeks ago, and I saw on the News they were talking about it. I was suprised by one venue that was on there and then thought, WOW thats actually smart -->McCormick Place.

Soccer, if Soldier Field will not work alternative 2 is actually Brigham Field @ Huskie Stadium in DeKalb...NOT Toyota Park.
DJ

The KNIGHTS are coming!

#15 Murtaugh

Murtaugh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,856 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 03:49 PM

Well, this is the thing - they can't only have one venue for soccer. It's a big tournament and may be bogger by the time 2016 rolls around. I think most previous Olympics have had 3 or 4 at minimum. SF will be the venue for the finals almost certainly. But if they've had to look all the way to UMinnesota's new stadium for enough stadiums with a proper field size you'd figure TP has to also be in the mix.

Even if not, it's a long time till 2016 and there's always time to change the plan.

Venue map up on the trib website (at least for the city proper)
http://www.chicagotr...01/27524054.pdf

Crain's report ::

http://www.chicagobu...ews.pl?id=23589

Mr. Ryan said a top firm has agreed to build the stadium for $366 million, subject to adjustment for inflation. He declined to name the company.

The temporary stadium would be sheathed in a high-tech reflective material that would allow huge TV pictures to be projected on its outside walls, officials said.

... ...

Mr. Ryan also said he hopes to use Millennium Park as a site for awarding medals to winning athletes, and to have large TVs near events around the city.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users