137 replies to this topic

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hartford Athletic, USMNT

We've been very very lucky with BWP's lack of injuries. That luck might continue... but a backup with potential is not a bad idea.

not to mention the fact that BWP is 34 years young.. hes gonna hit a wall eventually. Lets hope it isnt this year. I mean, he cant keep up his outrageous goal scoring forever.

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

not to mention the fact that BWP is 34 years young.. hes gonna hit a wall eventually. Lets hope it isnt this year. I mean, he cant keep up his outrageous goal scoring forever.

BWP's last guaranteed season in his contract is this year so this is very RB esque to get the guy they may need to replace a major piece the year before.  For what its worth I think Brian White has a chance to be a good MLS striker, but having all our eggs in that basket would be extremely naive.  Really curious to see him in a preseason game to know if he is better off at RB2 for a couple months or straight to the first team.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, MUFC, NYRB
I think the reality in mls whatever.0 were at is you need a million+ guy playing ST.

Or if youre not doing that have a mtl - Portland model where you have a dominant attaching mid. I think for this team to continue to function at this level when we do replace BWP it cant be white unless he has two levels I havent seen.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I think the reality in mls whatever.0 were at is you need a million+ guy playing ST.

Or if youre not doing that have a mtl - Portland model where you have a dominant attaching mid. I think for this team to continue to function at this level when we do replace BWP it cant be white unless he has two levels I havent seen.

After watching RBNY inexplicably turn Aaron Long into Piqué who the fuck knows what White can become, but I think the hope for White is that he turns into a good bench option who can spot start and gets subbed on in the 75th minute when seeking a goal. 

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Agree with that.  if White was our full time starting striker in 2020 we would either 1) be moving to a two forward setup again 2) have to sign a stud right winger 3) Mines/Fernandez would need to have an exceptional year of development in 2019.

I think White projects as a good spot starter, or second forward in our system.  He works really hard, good athlete and gets into good spots.  Need to see if he can show improvement on creating more opportunities on his own and refine hold up play.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,986 posts

Agree with that.  if White was our full time starting striker in 2020 we would either 1) be moving to a two forward setup again 2) have to sign a stud right winger 3) Mines/Fernandez would need to have an exceptional year of development in 2019.

I think White projects as a good spot starter, or second forward in our system.  He works really hard, good athlete and gets into good spots.  Need to see if he can show improvement on creating more opportunities on his own and refine hold up play.

My comment has nothing to do with White per se, but you are best to tailor good schemes based on the talents you have and not try to shoehorn in players to an alignment that does not suit their best talents. When BWP retires we will need to structure the formation (s) based on who we have.

We will not win just on 'philosophy' alone. We need enough superiot talented players both in the O and the D. We won't need a BWP clone, but we will need someone with real talent when he is no longer with us.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,754 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

One of the coaches, maybe even Armas, did call out White for showing great signs of improvement this preseason. He's got a ways to go before he's a real contributor though, agree with the general consensus here that if he can play the super-sub role well this year it'll be an accomplishment.

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,403 posts

I'd be more worried if his pace was a big factor in goal scoring. Target guys can have very long careers. 

That isn;t to say he wont slow down, but I can see him still scoring goals as a bench option at 36-37

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
Can this guy bang in 10 goals this season and a couple in the playoffs? That's the kind of player that needs to be signed. The time to win with this group is now, not years from now.

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,609 posts
  • Interests:Football and Football, heading to the beach and the lake. Spending time with fam at parties and reading existentialism philosophy oh yeah cant forget anime. Oh yea and MiLo is pronounced Mee-Low, its short for Camilo.

Can this guy bang in 10 goals this season and a couple in the playoffs? That's the kind of player that needs to be signed. The time to win with this group is now, not years from now.

agreed... Bring him in why not as long as it doesn't hamper the possibility of getting a Designated Player that's proven to be clutch
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

rhactl7

rhactl7

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

If this 18 year old comes in this season and bangs 10 goals + playoff goals I would be absolutely ecstatic. Those are some high expectations...

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,509 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Those are some high expectations...

Only once has a third player scored 10 league goals:
http://www.metrofana...PE=1&STAT=goals
We need BWP & Royer to score double figures.
For anyone to score 10 would be remarkable.

My money would be on Kaku, not Jorgensen.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,627 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Only once has a third player scored 10 league goals:
http://www.metrofana...PE=1&STAT=goals
We need BWP & Royer to score double figures.
For anyone to score 10 would be remarkable.

Anyone other than a right mid would only get there cannibalizing someone else's output.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,488 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

If Jorgensen gets goals against early USOC and against SJ COL VAN CIN ORL RSL HOU MIN, great. those are the games that i'd want BWP to not even dress for. and White can back up Jorgensen.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, and Glenn Stampiglia

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

deal is done.  TAM signing which is very interesting.  Though maybe they have leftover that will expire so they decided to use team.  Teams that use less than all 3 DP slots also get some GAM thats split among them, but i didnt think it was significant enough to not use the 150 cap hit from young DP rule.  

Regardless happy it got done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users