827 replies to this topic

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Offense that is created from individuals breaking down defense is a byproduct of individuals that can break down defenses. At best we have Sasha, Felipe and Grella. That means teams won't be taken apart at a skills level.

Muyl is fine but he's not necessarily winning the 1v1 battle. Grella can do it but he's not been as good this year. Veron hasn't shown any ability to not simply run in a straight line.

What you want is a specific player. That is and isn't on the manager.

So the manager has no input on squad construction? What about this manager that won a power struggle with the former GM? This manager has tied himself to guys like Grella & Muyl and he should know their shortcomings against teams that bunker.

Marsch gave our best 1v1 prospect some starts in a formation, 4-2-2-2, that doesn't really work with our current roster, but Etienne didn't really see minutes on the wing. I get Etienne may not track back as well Muyl, but we need a Danica winger and until (if) we sign one, maybe let Etienne play and develop. How much worse could we be?

It's interesting that Marsch felt comfortable moving on from Dax for Adams & Davis, but not Grella for Etienne.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

So the manager has no input on squad construction? What about this manager that won a power struggle with the former GM? This manager has tied himself to guys like Grella & Muyl and he should know their shortcomings against teams that bunker.

Marsch gave our best 1v1 prospect some starts in a formation, 4-2-2-2, that doesn't really work with our current roster, but Etienne didn't really see minutes on the wing. I get Etienne may not track back as well Muyl, but we need a Danica winger and until (if) we sign one, maybe let Etienne play and develop. How much worse could we be?

It's interesting that Marsch felt comfortable moving on from Dax for Adams & Davis, but not Grella for Etienne.

I agree Etienne should get more 1st team minutes this year.  Once Collin is back Marsch needs to experiment a bit. 

Keep in mind Davis was 'proven' last year at MLS level after a year with NYRB2.  Adams is USMNT potential level. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Grella is cheap. Dax was expensive. And Adams is much more highly rated than the Haitian Messi.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

I agree Etienne should get more 1st team minutes this year.  Once Collin is back Marsch needs to experiment a bit. 
Keep in mind Davis was 'proven' last year at MLS level after a year with NYRB2.  Adams is USMNT potential level. 

Grella is cheap. Dax was expensive. And Adams is much more highly rated than the Haitian Messi.

Fair enough. I just don't know how much you can factor Adams into the equation because there's a chance he doesn't even stay through the summer transfer window, and they had to have known this.

Plus I feel every game played in the 4-2-2-2 should just be ignored. We aren't evaluating Marsch's First XI on any matches played in that formation, why are we judging Etienne on them? I get the defense, but with the lack of offensive production on the wings, he's got to be given a shot out there.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
Ettienne is still rough... but has potential. At this point grella is a better option... then it depends on matchup if you bring in muyl or ettiene.

If we were to bring in 1 player this year.. it should be an athletic cb/rb who can cross or make a long pass.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Ettienne is still rough... but has potential. At this point grella is a better option... then it depends on matchup if you bring in muyl or ettiene.

If we were to bring in 1 player this year.. it should be an athletic cb/rb who can cross or make a long pass.

really?

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

Do you know how many goals & assists Grella has this year?  It's the same number as Etienne and it's the same number as Mike has in six playoff games.  Grella should be coming off the bench.  If he or Muyl is the starter, we will go nowhere.  Just like we we nowhere in 2015 and 2016.  I'm not saying Etienne is the answer.  I think we need to sign a winger.  I just would like to try something instead of rolling the same shit out every week.

Grella has played 362 minutes and Etienne 376, so roughly the same.  The big difference is Mike's played most of his minutes, at least recently where he has three starts, in the 4-2-3-1 whereas Etienne's minutes have come mostly as a second forward in the 4-2-2-2, which the majority of fans think doesn't work.  So we'll call Derrick rough and say he didn't grab his chance.  Is it fair to say he wasn't put in a position to succeed?

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

He may have input, but ultimately no its not his job. When you're talking about a guy who is talented enough to break down a parked bus defense, something the best teams and players in the world struggle with, you're not talking about a guy who comes cheap. So sure, Marsch can ask for that guy, but its not his job to actually make it happen. 

And if Etienne is supposed to be that savior, god help us. I think its apparent that in any formation he still has a lot to learn, he has spent some time in the 4-2-3-1 this year as well. We can argue all day over which shitty winger should be getting minutes, but in the end of the day they're still shit. That points way more towards a roster build issue than a lineup selection issue, and signing wingers that aren't shit isn't Marsch's job. 

And if it is his job after this winter's FO shenanigans and Hamlett is just some weird GM decoy, then let's see what he does with the next few windows before using it as grounds for firing him.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

He may have input, but ultimately no its not his job. When you're talking about a guy who is talented enough to break down a parked bus defense, something the best teams and players in the world struggle with, you're not talking about a guy who comes cheap. So sure, Marsch can ask for that guy, but its not his job to actually make it happen. 

And if Etienne is supposed to be that savior, god help us. I think its apparent that in any formation he still has a lot to learn, he has spent some time in th 4-2-3-1 this year as well. We can argue all day over which shitty winger should be getting minutes, but in the end of the day they're still shit. That points way more towards a roster build issue than a lineup selection issue, and signing wingers that aren't shit isn't Marsch's job. 

And if it is his job after this winter's FO shenanigans and Hamlett is just some weird GM decoy, then let's see what he does with the next few windows before using it as grounds for firing him.

I don't think Etienne is our savior.  He does bring something Grella doesn't, namely pace and athleticism.  I don't know how it will play out with him.  But I'd rather have a shitty winger that's 20 years old and has upside, than a shitty winger that's 30 and is basically being given a starting job on what he did two seasons ago and not what he's done the second half of last year or in the playoffs or this year or what he's done after having hernia surgery and a knee issue this year.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Etienne has speed, but the guy doesn't play fast so it doesn't mean much.  Similar to Veron in that regard where he likes to slow the game down once he gets the ball and that sucks.

I'm kind of done with giving Grella chances, but Etienne I don't feel very confident in becoming a difference maker at the MLS level.  He's bright, so hopefully he keeps improving.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I don't think Etienne is our savior.  He does bring something Grella doesn't, namely pace and athleticism.  I don't know how it will play out with him.  But I'd rather have a shitty winger that's 20 years old and has upside, than a shitty winger that's 30 and is basically being given a starting job on what he did two seasons ago and not what he's done the second half of last year or in the playoffs or this year or what he's done after having hernia surgery and a knee issue this year.

Alright that's fair, I don't think it would matter much one way or the other as far as the results go, but we're not actually calling this out as a reason to fire Marsch right now are we? To me this is like a handing a doctor two instruments to perform surgery with - a plastic picnic knife and rusty old machete - then blaming him when the patient doesn't make it.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

Alright that's fair, I don't think it would matter much one way or the other as far as the results go, but we're not actually calling this out as a reason to fire Marsch right now are we? To me this is like a handing a doctor two instruments to perform surgery with - a plastic picnic knife and rusty old machete - then blaming him when the patient doesn't make it.

I forgot this was a fire Marsch thread.  No, Marsch shouldn't be fired.  But his reliance on some guys too strong.  Especially when some of those have done nothing in the playoffs and haven't been good for awhile.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

Etienne has speed, but the guy doesn't play fast so it doesn't mean much.  Similar to Veron in that regard where he likes to slow the game down once he gets the ball and that sucks.

I'm kind of done with giving Grella chances, but Etienne I don't feel very confident in becoming a difference maker at the MLS level.  He's bright, so hopefully he keeps improving.

He's 20.  You don't play him over a DP/TAM winger that we may sign over the summer.  But should Derrick get some minutes on the wing over some guys that are giving us zero on offense?  I think so.  I don't know how much more Etienne can get out of the USL.  He needs MLS minutes, in a formation that works with our roster, to further develop.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Do you know how many goals & assists Grella has this year?  It's the same number as Etienne and it's the same number as Mike has in six playoff games.  Grella should be coming off the bench.  If he or Muyl is the starter, we will go nowhere.  Just like we we nowhere in 2015 and 2016.  I'm not saying Etienne is the answer.  I think we need to sign a winger.  I just would like to try something instead of rolling the same shit out every week.

Grella has played 362 minutes and Etienne 376, so roughly the same.  The big difference is Mike's played most of his minutes, at least recently where he has three starts, in the 4-2-3-1 whereas Etienne's minutes have come mostly as a second forward in the 4-2-2-2, which the majority of fans think doesn't work.  So we'll call Derrick rough and say he didn't grab his chance.  Is it fair to say he wasn't put in a position to succeed?

Team looks more dangerous with grella on field. Not saying that Grella is the best thing since Magnum PI. We will still win games with grella in the line up. However, i cant say we will win games with DP, lade or zizzo on defense. They are not as athletic to defend guys 1v1. And they need to be creative with their passing when a team bunkers. For that reason defense is the priority

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Team looks more dangerous with grella on field. Not saying that Grella is the best thing since Magnum PI. We will still win games with grella in the line up. However, i cant say we will win games with DP, lade or zizzo on defense. They are not as athletic to defend guys 1v1. And they need to be creative with their passing when a team bunkers. For that reason defense is the priority

what a reference!

Best thing since magnum PI?!?

Murrillo is the atheltic RB you seek.  Lade can be very good but then can have runs of bad form.  DP and Zizzo and 3rd string back ups who just have been playing a lot do to thin roster/injuries.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users