520 replies to this topic

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team

FWIW, you got to admire them for doing this. My reason is this, because they really didn't have to. They could have just ducked down and let the rancor die a little during the season, and let you guys suffer in silence. But they decided give us folks a chance to blow off some steam and MAYBE get some well-deserved answers.

Take advantage of this if you can, but thoward18 put it very well, THINK before you speak, don't fall for the spin, and try to be nice!

Be the better fan!!!

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

Hutskizzle

Hutskizzle

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Fuckkkkk that guys. Get reckless. Keep it 100. Show them they're not wanted

Mike
Petke
Fever
Catch It.

Rooney22

Rooney22

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Fucking Metro

I'm going to try to go, but I doubt I'll be able to. I'll throw my name in the hat and see what happens. 

If you get selected: BOO, HISS, YELL, CHANT, DON'T LET THEM GET A WORD EDGE WISE. Sing songs about Petke. Fuck Curtis. Fuck DeGranpre. Fuck Marsch. They know they've fucked up. Don't hold back now. 

Oh, and also record it and upload to YouTube. 

Its first come first serve...the first 300 ppl to rsvp get to go.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Another thing: This is a limited event. Only a small percentage of the fanbase is actually going to be able to even attend, and then it's going to be only so long. If you fucking waste your precious moment to speak asking Jesse Marsch about some tactical bullshit or asking Curtis about acquiring a centre back you deserve to be fucking castrated. There are significantly more important issues at play here. Those are exactly the kinds of questions they WANT to get. FUCK THAT. Don't waste your time here with the minute details. Everything directed at them should be in regards to Mike Petke and their apathy to the fanbase and history of this franchise. THAT'S IT.

Henry_Krinkle

Henry_Krinkle

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
Didn't the Mets have one of these? The bottom line is the FO and the fans have very clear and different views of how this organization should be run. Nothing that happens in this meeting will change their thinking or actions. Just what they think is good PR and a chance for fans to blow off steam. That's all. I talked to Manny and Jamie and I got the same scripted,empathetic answers. Fail.

Big Daddy

Big Daddy

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Your Mom
  • Supports:USA, NYRB, Millonarios, Celtic, LFC

Didn't the Mets have one of these? The bottom line is the FO and the fans have very clear and different views of how this organization should be run. Nothing that happens in this meeting will change their thinking or actions. Just what they think is good PR and a chance for fans to blow off steam. That's all. I talked to Manny and Jamie and I got the same scripted,empathetic answers. Fail.

You are absolutely correct but I want to look these motherfuckers in the eye and say what I gotta say! (as a professional of course)

nlk10010

nlk10010

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Sorry, IMO it's going to be pointless. They're not rehiring Petke nor will they spend on any significant player acquisition(s). RB probably figure they'd prefer not to lose the STH so they'll set up a dog-and-pony show, it will cost next-to-nothing to run  (OK, they have to keep the electric on during the meeting, I think). Canned answers from Curtis and Marsch, "just wait and see us realize our vision". Frankly, deep down, they know most fans will simply "get over it" and things will play out exactly as they intended.

You know what would really get their attention? If nobody showed up.

"The company loves its money.

If they could, they'd go to strip clubs and throw naked women at money."

Rooney22

Rooney22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Fucking Metro

Another thing: This is a limited event. Only a small percentage of the fanbase is actually going to be able to even attend, and then it's going to be only so long. If you fucking waste your precious moment to speak asking Jesse Marsch about some tactical bullshit or asking Curtis about acquiring a centre back you deserve to be fucking castrated. There are significantly more important issues at play here. Those are exactly the kinds of questions they WANT to get. FUCK THAT. Don't waste your time here with the minute details. Everything directed at them should be in regards to Mike Petke and their apathy to the fanbase and history of this franchise. THAT'S IT.

It should be about the many mistakes that RB has made through the years starting with firing Bruce Arena, I hope someone asks why De Grandpre didn't learn his lesson the first time around. Also ask why Ali Curtis who has no experience in the front office of a soccer team was allowed to come in an Fire Petke with in Days of starting his new job. 

Also do not wear RB gear. If anything wear Metro and show up drinking Monster. 

Henry_Krinkle

Henry_Krinkle

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
I was thinking wouldn't it be a piss if no one Rsvp'd ? Then what?

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

I was thinking wouldn't it be a piss if no one Rsvp'd ? Then what?

Then you ruin the best chance at the moment we have to put a face to the voices that have been complaining.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Sorry, IMO it's going to be pointless. They're not rehiring Petke nor will they spend on any significant player acquisition(s). RB probably figure they'd prefer not to lose the STH so they'll set up a dog-and-pony show, it will cost next-to-nothing to run  (OK, they have to keep the electric on during the meeting, I think). Canned answers from Curtis and Marsch, "just wait and see us realize our vision". Frankly, deep down, they know most fans will simply "get over it" and things will play out exactly as they intended.

You know what would really get their attention? If nobody showed up.

Maybe they will keep the heat low lol
Our job to turn it up
I do give them credit for doing this however they will be so prepped and smooth talking they probably think it can only hope

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

rzrhtr

rzrhtr

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

PLEASE THINK CRITICALLY:

They're not going to waltz in there and speak off-the-cuff. You can be damn sure their message is going to be carefully premeditated and crafted by a team of PR executives. Do NOT let yourself get trapped with their gaslighting and spinning of the situation. Don't drink the Red Bull-infused koolaid they're going to try to sell you.

At the same time, do NOT come off as some drunk idiot ranting. Be very clear in your message, and be very critical and unforgiving. But save the, "fuck you Curtis you fucker" and such to the message boards. Nobody's going to take you seriously if you sound like a rambling child throwing a tantrum. Make it clear that what they did is utterly embarrassing and irreparably unforgiving. But say so in a way that they have no choice but to take the message seriously.

This x1,000. My line of work takes me to a not insignificant number of these kinds of events. Some pointers...

1) Don't get emotional. I know this is an emotional issue, but it needs to be made clear this is about more than a coach. This is about 17 years in the wilderness, with a constant churn of personnel and no real direction before Petke literally fell into their laps and gave the team a personality and a direction. There's going to be 300 people there. You can't guarantee all of them are going to be as pissed as you are. Once you start getting emotional, rather than rational, you seem like a lunatic and lose support. One of two of these types and your cause is torpedoed.

2) Kind of related to #1: Don't yell. The best way to get your point across is to be blunt. You might think raising your voice is some kind of theatrical flourish, but it's not.

3) Stay on message. Once it becomes about "and then and then and then" you lose people. We're pissed because, after 17 years of futility, we had in place a coach (who just happened to be a fan favorite) who built a team we could be proud of, who was unceremoniously fired for no reason.

4) You're going to have three minutes max to speak. Probably more like two. Maybe less if they want to be particularly underhanded. Keep it short and pointed. If you can't get a direct, pointed question out in two minutes, don't speak, don't go and give your spot to someone else, as hard as that may be. Nobody's here to listen to your five minute rant. We want answers and accountability. Make them face the music.

Basically, rationality > emotion and keep it short.

Take these for what they're worth, but I've seen plenty of people with legitimate questions and concerns dismissed because they come off as lunatic windbags. The last thing you want is to give Curtis the satisfaction of driving home with the impression his critics are crazy people.

rzrhtr

rzrhtr

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

I'm going to try to go, but I doubt I'll be able to. I'll throw my name in the hat and see what happens. 

If you get selected: BOO, HISS, YELL, CHANT, DON'T LET THEM GET A WORD EDGE WISE. Sing songs about Petke. Fuck Curtis. Fuck DeGranpre. Fuck Marsch. They know they've fucked up. Don't hold back now. 

Oh, and also record it and upload to YouTube. 

This is the worst thing you could do.

Fellaini's Afro

Fellaini's Afro

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Everton, BU Bearcats
They likely are not going to care at all about what you are saying. Like I doubt they change course after hearing a bunch of fans vent.

That being said, I say go the fuck you/yelling approach. How many times as a sports fan do you get the chance to lay into these dickhead management types? Now is your chance -- this never happens.

The only negative effect for a hostile reception for guys like Ali C and De Grandpre means they won't show up for the supporters parties, but they sound like boring corporate shill types anyway.

If you act all polite its like another day at the office for these guys.

Father Ted

Father Ted

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts

The best thing is to do is for NOBODY to show up.  But that won't happen.

In any case, it's all a bit pointless.  You can't go on ranting and raving because it will show them as being classy and the fans as yobs.  And even if you do ask them direct questions about the firing of Petke like Dyer and others did on yesterday's call, they will just give the canned corporate answers that don't really answer anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users