64 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Still love Petke. Don't care what he supposedly said, basically hear it every soccer game ever anyway. Just wasn't worth it over a meaningless game.

Also still love him, and know he's no homophobe or anything similar, but when someone repeatedly loses their friggen mind while on the job, they can't  expect to keep that type of employment.   I seriously doubt he finds a way back into MLS coaching after this.   He just doesn't have that great a track record for a team to bother bringing on that amount of PR baggage.   We don't have any Al Davis type owners in this league willing to build their organization with damaged goods.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Still love Petke.

As do many.
I hope that he lands on his feet somewhere.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, football, hockey, basketball, baseball
  • Supports:Red Bulls

I'd give him another chance in a heartbeat. America is about giving second chances....

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I'd give him another chance in a heartbeat. America is about giving second chances....

Yeah, but our FO specifically probably wouldn't be the one to give him his second chance 3 months after he got fired for a homophobic slur.

In time, he can get back to MLS, probably as an assistant somewhere. This offseason as NYRB's manager? No chance.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

our FO ... wouldn't be the one to give him his second chance 3 months after he got fired
This offseason as NYRB's manager? No chance.

https://www.newyorkr...oach-mike-petke
Said Sporting Director Ali Curtis: Mike will always be an important part of the Red Bull family.
Perhaps it is time for both Mike and RB to admit past mistakes and make amends.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
I doubt Petke ever manages a first division club ever again. MLS is his only shot...its not like hell be managing in Europe or Mexico. Hes a motivator but arguably not a tactically brilliant coach. Plus Henry was really running things in 2013 and 2014. Passionate to a fault. After the last stunt why would an MLS owner bother with him? Its not like he is Sir Alex or Mourinho. Just my opinion.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle
While I find it unlikely, it wouldnt shock me to see him land another MLS gig down the road. However, I think Red Bull made it pretty clear what they think of his managerial chops within the philosophy they implemented. Its not going to be here. And I love Mike and wish him nothing but the best.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

...Henry was really running things in 2013 and 2014.

I think Robin Fraser was helpful as well.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Hilarious that the people who freak out and rant online about seeing rainbow flags in the SW are the ones saying that Petke using a slur is just political correctness gone wild and no big deal.

He's a great dude, hope he finds a job again, will always love him for 2013, but if you're defending him, you're a moron.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

if you're defending him, you're a moron.

Yet, you support YSA.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Yet, you support YSA.

Yes, a harmless chant that is condemned because we can't be too vulgar in front of MLS's desired audience of soccer moms is the same thing as a white dude singling out a ref with a Hispanic slur that was used solely because the ref was Hispanic.  The exact same thing.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

https://www.newyorkr...oach-mike-petke
Said Sporting Director Ali Curtis: Mike will always be an important part of the Red Bull family.
Perhaps it is time for both Mike and RB to admit past mistakes and make amends.

Admit to Past mistakes and make amends? Sometimes you have to cut your losses and that is what MLS has to do with Petke.

He was given a dream job. Twice! And he bLew it.

There is no reason for a MLS team to bring him back. Its not like he did anything spectacular. He won the supporters shield with a loaded squad and has struggled since that trophy.

There are other american coaches like wynalda, ramos, lilly, woly... ect who should be considered for an MLS coaching job before petke.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

harmless chant ...

Well then: You Suck! Asshole!
😛

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

Its not like he did anything spectacular.

He just added to our loaded trophy case ...

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

... He won the supporters shield with a loaded squad and has struggled since that trophy.

He hardly struggled.   Other than the screw up, he was very well liked at RSL (and at the Monarchs for them before that) and arguably has over-achieved given the lack of talent he took over there.    

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users