JayJeeMoNee

JayJeeMoNee

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,015 posts
  • Interests:Metro | USA | USMNT | Dortmund
  • Supports:MetroStars

If you want to free up roster space for a proven MLS player, why not cut a waste of space that did not help in the MLS Cup run. Cut Rojas.
Because "the great tactician" was not a fan of van den Bergh and wanted him gone at the salary he made. Osorio valued Pietravallo at 200K but not DVDB at 250K.

Actually, DVDB wanted out for family reasons. From Osorio's quotes regarding the loss of Dave, it's evident that Osorio didn't want to lose him.

(Formerly JonnyG)

"In church, they say that suffering is good for the soul. I like to view my love for this team as being a spiritual exercise." - Steve B2

Pebble

Pebble

insightful, deep and most creative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,467 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Rangers FC, #RedBullOut

Actually, DVDB wanted out for family reasons. From Osorio's quotes regarding the loss of Dave, it's evident that Osorio didn't want to lose him.

This is wrong. All the information pasted here has been gleaned from the Red Bull PR cover. It is based in partial truth only.

The reality of what went down is simple:
Dave’s contract expired.
Dave wanted to be paid the same amount that he was paid the year before.
Dave asked for a one year contract.
Osorio said that Dave isn’t worth that money. Agoos negotiated from that point.
Dave said, “Well if you aren’t going to pay me, then I would appreciate it if you traded my rights to someone that would.”
The team finally relented and gave Dave the contract. It was signed and the two parties had the one year contract at the previous value.
Osorio, not happy with allocating so much money to a player that he benched during the season, continued to call on Agoos to trade him.
Agoos worked the phones with Dallas.
Dallas made several awful offers until the Oduro & picks for Dave & picks option. Osorio preferred to have Oduro, so he took him.
RBNY then decided to play it up in the press about Dave wanting out for family reasons so that they would have cover when the fans start asking questions like, “Who is that fucking stupid as to trade their best player?”
End.

#RedBullOut

Thursday, November 27, 2008 -

After another Hatch shank over the crossbar...
"And Hatch wonders why nobody is covering him." - Tony Meola

Space Ghost

Space Ghost

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, RU

This is wrong. All the information pasted here has been gleaned from the Red Bull PR cover. It is based in partial truth only.

Dave’s contract expired.
Dave wanted to be paid the same amount that he was paid the year before.
Dave asked for a one year contract.
Osorio said that Dave isn’t worth that money. Agoos negotiated from that point.
Dave said, “Well if you aren’t going to pay me, then I would appreciate it if you traded my rights to someone that would.”
The team finally relented and gave Dave the contract. It was signed and the two parties had the one year contract at the previous value.
Osorio, not happy with allocating so much money to a player that he benched during the season, continued to call on Agoos to trade him.
Agoos worked the phones with Dallas.
Dallas made several awful offers until the Oduro & picks for Dave & picks option. Osorio preferred to have Oduro, so he took him.
RBNY then decided to play it up in the press about Dave wanting out for family reasons so that they would have cover when the fans start asking questions like, “Who is that fucking stupid as to trade their best player?”
End.

And you know this how?

For a season as bad as DCU has had, the USOC title is whipped cream on shit ~~ VOR II

Matrim55

Matrim55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,309 posts
  • Supports:Metros

And you know this how?

Brian Lewis, Michael Lewis and Ives all reported stories to this effect. Van den Bergh said to one of them - I don't remember which - that he wanted to stay in NY for 2009, and was ready to sign a contract until RBFO pulled it back.

I'm not going to dig to find the articles, but according to our local media people Pebble's story is 100% correct.

Pebble

Pebble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,467 posts

Brian Lewis, Michael Lewis and Ives all reported stories to this effect. Van den Bergh said to one of them - I don't remember which - that he wanted to stay in NY for 2009, and was ready to sign a contract until RBFO pulled it back.

I'm not going to dig to find the articles, but according to our local media people Pebble's story is 100% correct.

My only contention is that I had it first! Though I don't have a blog because that requires daily updating.

#RedBullOut

Chic Charnley

Chic Charnley

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts
  • Interests:football, soccer, futball....etc
  • Supports:NYRB & PTFC
Would say Peeble has the correct version.

DVB was re-signed by the MLS/NYRB. JCO decided he could aquire more players of his liking with the DVB trade. It was a gamble, time (results) will tell.

Ronnie O? On his game, one of the better mids in the MLS. However, both Dallas & earthquakes had "attitude" problems with him. But hey, a great coach could mange that, couldn't they?

JayJeeMoNee

JayJeeMoNee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,015 posts
  • Interests:Metro | USA | USMNT | Dortmund
  • Supports:MetroStars

wow dude i'm starting to dislike osorio more and more. the whole son/family stuff was just a coverup, and dvdb agreed to play it out like that? i believe u, but this is the first time i'm hearing this. i don't recall reading about it on bas, nypost, or ives.

(Formerly JonnyG)

"In church, they say that suffering is good for the soul. I like to view my love for this team as being a spiritual exercise." - Steve B2

Pebble

Pebble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,467 posts

wow dude i'm starting to dislike osorio more and more. the whole son/family stuff was just a coverup, and dvdb agreed to play it out like that? i believe u, but this is the first time i'm hearing this. i don't recall reading about it on bas, nypost, or ives.

The part about "family" stuff is half true. Dave wants to go to Dallas. He just didn't want to go until next season. He really liked the team here and he thought they had a real chance at a good season (I don't agree, but whatever). Osorio simply didn't like Dave enough to pay him what he was worth. The family stuff was brought to the front as cover as a reason when in reality it played no part in the negotiations.

#RedBullOut

Space Ghost

Space Ghost

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, RU

OK, well I did go find the articles. There in this website's media archives in January.
According to my reading, this is what they support

"The reality of what went down is simple:
Dave’s contract expired.--True
Dave wanted to be paid the same amount that he was paid the year before. --True
Dave asked for a one year contract.--False M. Lewis 1/13/09 "The Red Bulls were willing to sign van den Bergh to a one-year deal, according to Red Bulls sporting director Jeff Agoos, while Dallas was willing to commit to a multi-year deal. "It was always going to be a one-year extension," van den Bergh said. "I am not getting any younger, unfortunately. I am very confident that I still am in great shape physically. But I know at my age, you can't demand any long-term contracts."
"

Osorio said that Dave isn’t worth that money. Agoos negotiated from that point. --Unsubstantiated
Dave said, “Well if you aren’t going to pay me, then I would appreciate it if you traded my rights to someone that would.” --Unsubstantiated
The team finally relented and gave Dave the contract. It was signed and the two parties had the one year contract at the previous value. --True
Osorio, not happy with allocating so much money to a player that he benched during the season, continued to call on Agoos to trade him. --Unsubstantiated
Agoos worked the phones with Dallas. --Not true, Vandenberg says he requested the right to talk to them M. Lewis 1/13/09 "Van den Bergh asked the club if he could talk to Dallas and team officials granted that wish."
Dallas made several awful offers until the Oduro & picks for Dave & picks option. Osorio preferred to have Oduro, so he took him. --Unsubstantiated
RBNY then decided to play it up in the press about Dave wanting out for family reasons so that they would have cover when the fans start asking questions like, “Who is that fucking stupid as to trade their best player?” --Unsubstantiated. Implies motive
End.

Look, I'm not happy about loosing Vandy either. And no doubt RB played up the humanitarian aspect of it either. Van den Berg himself said family was a secondary factor, and that the primary factor was they were willing to give him a 2 year contract and at his age that was important to him. But don't just make shit up and pass it off as fact.

For a season as bad as DCU has had, the USOC title is whipped cream on shit ~~ VOR II

jevanvoo

jevanvoo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,235 posts
  • Supports:RBNY USMNT USWNT

All the information pasted here has been gleaned from the Red Bull PR cover. End.

not quite all of it :ph34r:

"Onionsack- the soccer equivalent of a Jehovah's Witness" 

-Thoward18

Now it's the RedBulls fans. they may be even louder than the DC guys who, for reasons beyond imagining, had 50 seats saved for them up front.

Philadelphia: I love you guys, really, but you're getting schooled.

The noise in here is deafening.
-Bill Archer 1.14.10

metros11

metros11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
So anyway, how about that Ronnie O'Brien guy.

Dan, can we cut and paste the VDB fiasco into the 'Beating the Dead Horse' forum? Thanks.

"What better way for DC United fans to drown their sorrows than with this new beer called 'The Tradition'.  A relic name of a bygone era where DCU was relevant." - VfLKirwan

Pebble

Pebble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,467 posts

OK, well I did go find the articles. There in this website's media archives in January.
According to my reading, this is what they support

"The reality of what went down is simple:
Dave’s contract expired.--True
Dave wanted to be paid the same amount that he was paid the year before. --True
Dave asked for a one year contract.--False M. Lewis 1/13/09 "The Red Bulls were willing to sign van den Bergh to a one-year deal, according to Red Bulls sporting director Jeff Agoos, while Dallas was willing to commit to a multi-year deal. "It was always going to be a one-year extension," van den Bergh said. "I am not getting any younger, unfortunately. I am very confident that I still am in great shape physically. But I know at my age, you can't demand any long-term contracts."
"

Osorio said that Dave isn’t worth that money. Agoos negotiated from that point. --Unsubstantiated
Dave said, “Well if you aren’t going to pay me, then I would appreciate it if you traded my rights to someone that would.” --Unsubstantiated
The team finally relented and gave Dave the contract. It was signed and the two parties had the one year contract at the previous value. --True
Osorio, not happy with allocating so much money to a player that he benched during the season, continued to call on Agoos to trade him. --Unsubstantiated
Agoos worked the phones with Dallas. --Not true, Vandenberg says he requested the right to talk to them M. Lewis 1/13/09 "Van den Bergh asked the club if he could talk to Dallas and team officials granted that wish."
Dallas made several awful offers until the Oduro & picks for Dave & picks option. Osorio preferred to have Oduro, so he took him. --Unsubstantiated
RBNY then decided to play it up in the press about Dave wanting out for family reasons so that they would have cover when the fans start asking questions like, “Who is that fucking stupid as to trade their best player?” --Unsubstantiated. Implies motive
End.

Look, I'm not happy about loosing Vandy either. And no doubt RB played up the humanitarian aspect of it either. Van den Berg himself said family was a secondary factor, and that the primary factor was they were willing to give him a 2 year contract and at his age that was important to him. But don't just make shit up and pass it off as fact.

Again, My account is correct. If you want to discount it based on who I am, fine. It changes little. What I wrote is what actually occurred.

This:

"

Doesn't mean false. The quote is coming from Agoos, who I have no faith in. The deal Dave asked for was one year. They wouldn't give him the same salary for one year. Dave backs this up by saying, "It was always going to be a one year extension." This backs up my statement that he didn't ask for more.

The Red Bulls wanted to sign him for less money than he was worth. This is fact. This is why he's gone.

#RedBullOut

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
Well - i am jealous on Dallas league position. They look like the team to beat with Van Den Berg having a MVP year...... :)+

MetroStone

MetroStone

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Metro
Isn't there a new section for threads like this? :)+
Some people are like slinkeys. They are not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

5 You got REAMed 5

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos
In all due defense of Pebble:

HE IN FACT DID break this VDB resigning story weeks before even our own beat writers did with pretty stark accuracy. So i have to give him the benefit of the doubt in that respect because he obvilously did have some connections here.

As for his quotes about what Agoos and Osorio may have said behind closed doors that is probably just conjure based upon the facts he had heard.

We do know for a fact that RB didnt want to resign him for the money VDB wanted originally and eventualy did but only right around the time they were looking to trade him.
I too think the family story was damage control, while we know it was an issue, it was played out to be a major factor when i doubt it was.
RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users