• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#16 stopper

stopper

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Besides soccer? Golf, Asian girls, grilling, swilling good beer, petite syrah
  • Supports:Galaxy, USA. Xolos

Posted 25 February 2007 - 02:42 AM

I respect Ali. I went to a Pasadena book store and stood in line for three hours so that my infant son could be held in the arms of the great champion. Its a cool pic, by the way. But I don't think he was the greatest boxer.

Its kind of hard to judge who the greatest heavyweight is. Tyson could've been. When he had Cus d'Amato and Kevin Rooney in his corner, he was a great defensive fighter and a wonderful finisher. Once Cus died and Don King took over, his decline began. Cus and Rooney loved Tyson, King only wanted his dollars.

For me, my favorite was Larry Holmes. He could've beaten Marciano if they both fought in their prime. Rocky was too small and his reach would've been a hindrance. Yeah, he would've fucked up Holmes' ribs, but Holmes was a great jabber without Ali's dancing.

Oh, Riddick Bowe could've been one of the best. Maybe the best. He had it all. Except the IQ. And the guidance. What a waste.

Since we're talking about all-time greats, we need to include the greatest pound-for-pound Western boxer of all time---Alexis Arguello. And the late Salvador Sanchez. These were men, fellas.

Other favorites: Jorge Paez--a complete nut, but a beautiful athlete with a unique style and a killer instinct
Michael Carbajal--his first fight against Chiquita Gonzalez was a classic. Unfortunately, it was all downhill from there Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini--after the Duk Ku Kim fight, he was never the same (its been 25 years) JC Chavez--what else can I say

#17 stopper

stopper

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Besides soccer? Golf, Asian girls, grilling, swilling good beer, petite syrah

Posted 25 February 2007 - 02:58 AM

Arguello

Here's a sample of Arguello as an old man, right before meeting the drug-enhanced Aaron Pryor for the light-welterweight title. His opponent is Mike Tyson's future trainer. Not only does it show his class as a fighter, but his class as a gentlemen. A truly fine man.

Reading his bio and remembering his classic bout with Alfredo Escalera gives me chills. I remember watching that fight as a kid, and watching Danny "Little Red" Lopez on my dad's lap on TV from the Olympic Auditorium, and watching the Thrilla in Manila. Man, how the days have flown past.

#18 stopper

stopper

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:13 AM

Sanchez

Roberto Duran.

Tony "El Torito" Ayala. What a tragedy. What a fucking waste. He would've beaten Roberto Duran and Marvin Hagler. And if they had the guts to meet this middleweight, Ray Leonard and Thomas Hearns, too.

#19 twigg

twigg

whiskey - fueled

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts
  • Interests:The game. It's history, it's personalities, it's rivalries.
  • Supports:Liverpool, Eintracht, Distillery

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:29 PM

Arguello was absolute class in a sport that generally lacks it (to put it mildly).

I was always a big fan of Nigel Benn.

It's too bad he almost killed Gerry McClellan in one of the most brutal fights I've ever seen. Not only for McClellan, who was left blind, nearly deaf, and unable to walk, but also for Benn who was completely devastated and after staying with McClellan's family at the hospital was never the same fighter.
Coimhead fearg fhear na foighde. Beware the anger of a patient man, - Gaelic Proverb

Sam's Club

#20 stopper

stopper

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:29 PM

Several years ago, I was leading a discussion with my students about the gladiators and why people tend to enjoy violent sports. The next day, I showed some fight tapes that I had made. One of the fights included the classic JC Chavez v. Meldrick Taylor bout. Afterwards, I asked my students to write an essay about these fights: Are today's boxer our gladiators?

Almost every kid answered no. The intention is not to kill. Even though it happens, it is not the intention. Blah, blah, blah. Some kids made some good points and that is the answer I was expecting. And it pretty much summed up my feelings.

However, one girl--a very quiet, shy, and reflective kid--made me change my views. She said, Yes. They are gladiators because they go into it knowing that there is a chance that they can die themselves. So, even though it isn't the intention, the risk is there and every fighter knows going into that ring that they are putting their lives at risk. Brillant answer, and well-written.

I've only been to a few live bouts, and they were great. I saw Chavez v. Roger Mayweather. I saw Paez and Carbajal on the same card. It didn't occur to me then that I was paying good money to have a seat at what could've been someone's death. The sweet science.

#21 twigg

twigg

whiskey - fueled

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 03:41 PM

This Saturday "When We Were Kings" is being shown on one of the movie channels (Encore, I think).

It's a brilliant documentary on Ali and Foreman's 'Rumble in the Jungle'. Awesome behind the scenes footage, live performances from the Spinners, James Brown, and BB King, info on Don King's first big deal, Mobutu's crazy ass and the nation of Zaire, highlights from the fight and killer insights from Norman Mailer and George Plimpton.

I give it two enthusiastic thumbs up.
Coimhead fearg fhear na foighde. Beware the anger of a patient man, - Gaelic Proverb

Sam's Club

#22 ucsdguy

ucsdguy

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Tottenham hotspur

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:19 PM

I heard yestesrday Mayweather was carrying around a live chicken in a cage through LA, and referring to it as De La Hoya.

those wacky boxers

#23 L.A. Brigade

L.A. Brigade

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Boca Jrs, Man City, Celtic

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:23 PM

I heard yestesrday Mayweather was carrying around a live chicken in a cage through LA, and referring to it as De La Hoya.

those wacky boxers

It was all over the news. He put a gold medal around it during the presser.

#24 twigg

twigg

whiskey - fueled

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:38 PM

He named it 'Golden Girl'.

He also stole Oscar's food off the waiter's tray at a restaraunt in DC.

I hope they both get DQ'ed for being cunts.

Sam's Club

#25 ESCO

ESCO

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  • Supports:LAG | LFC

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:15 PM

Lots of people said "Maromero" got paid to throw this fight.

Still was an entertaining match...

Maromero vs Frijol DeLa Hoya

I had a chance to attend Morales vs Manny Pacquiao I ......one of the most electryfing atmospheres I have ever been in.

#26 LFC1892

LFC1892

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Supports:G's, 'Pool, Hoops, Bayern, Fleet

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:33 PM

Lots of people said "Maromero" got paid to throw this fight.

Still was an entertaining match...

Maromero vs Frijol DeLa Hoya

That guy needs to get a new barber. That shit takes mullet to a whole new level.

#27 cesar

cesar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts
  • Supports:Women

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:56 PM

i used to frequent the Monday Night fights at the Forum with my father when i was a kid. then i attended the ones held at the Pond. those were some great nights of boxing.

i personally met Maromero at the Pond a few years back. great guy. i went up to him, shook his hand and had a few words with him. that guy was a total gentleman. i asked him about the Oscar fight, specifically asking him whether he had taken some $$. he just smiled at me. i talked to him for about 15 minutes. he was asking me questions and seemed interested in the conversation.

as for Oscar, i knew the guy on a personal level a few years back. i knew his best friend when he was just a boy during the Olympics. i used to go over to my friend's house and saw De La Hoya several times. I talked to him several times before he won the medal. Oscar was very close to his mother during those times. when his mom died and he dedicated his medal to her, i was touched. what made me lose total respect for him was that later he gave that same medal to his promoter.

#28 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:25 PM

Mike Tyson:
Posted Image

My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!

Drederick Tatum:
Posted Image

I think he's a good man. I like him. I got nothing against him, but I'm definitely gonna make orphans of his children.

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#29 stopper

stopper

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 03:31 PM

I can't say Paez took a dive. But he did get a big paycheck with the understanding that he was there to lose. He didn't look very fit, and he looked very uninterested. He also looked like he got a bit nervous when he saw how fit and ready de la Hoya looked.

So, he took the money but he was already done. That's how I saw it.

#30 L.A. Brigade

L.A. Brigade

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Boca Jrs, Man City, Celtic

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:24 PM

I can't say Paez took a dive. But he did get a big paycheck with the understanding that he was there to lose. He didn't look very fit, and he looked very uninterested. He also looked like he got a bit nervous when he saw how fit and ready de la Hoya looked.

So, he took the money but he was already done. That's how I saw it.

I think a lot of fighters understood that.

However the biggest scam/hook-up was the Pernell Whitaker fight. To this day, I still say Sweet Pea tapped that ass.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users