25 replies to this topic

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT
So CCJ is away with Venezuela at the u20 South American tournament.

Cm is still our biggest issue and the fact that he wont get a preseason means it must mean Davis / Beze to start.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Cm is still our biggest issue and the fact that he wont get a preseason means it must mean Davis / Beze to start.

I think Valot may be ahead of Beze, despite all the time he played out wide.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

CM is not biggest issue.  CCJ is Tyler replacement. Final is 2/10 if they make it that far.  Beze or Valot can back up.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

CM is not biggest issue.  CCJ is Tyler replacement. Final is 2/10 if they make it that far.  Beze or Valot can back up.

I'd say its still out biggest issue.  We are relying on a kid, who's never played at the top level, to replace our best player, in a key formational role.   That's a bigger issue than upgrading LM.  Having him potentially miss the first couple weeks of pre-season is a big deal.  

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

I'd say its still out biggest issue.  We are relying on a kid, who's never played at the top level, to replace our best player, in a key formational role.   That's a bigger issue than upgrading LM.  Having him potentially miss the first couple weeks of pre-season is a big deal.  

Yes, there are always issues. It would be nice to have your whole roster for the full preseason. But I have to admit I care less about whether or not we chase the supports shield and more about whether we are in peak form come playoff time. There doesn't seem to be any advantage finishing first.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT

I mean, our paper starter is either a 17 year old whos had like 150 important mins or beze / Valot who Im a huge fan of but isnt a prototypical number 6 or 8.

If a magic fairy let me pick one player to help us win Id take a star left footed right winger cause I do think Valot / Davis / CCJ can carry us at CM to a decent mls level. But right now its a serious unknown.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I still can't help but feel like our fans have gotten a little spoiled with how many academy/USL guys have stepped up over the last few years. People are assuming that every year we'll have a guy not only make the jump to the first team, but straight into the upper echelon of MLS. Its been great to see that come to fruition with guys like Miazga, Long, and Adams, but I'm not convinced how sustainable that pace is.

Yes, there are always issues. It would be nice to have your whole roster for the full preseason. But I have to admit I care less about whether or not we chase the supports shield and more about whether we are in peak form come playoff time. There doesn't seem to be any advantage finishing first.

This year is a little different with the new playoff format though, seeding is way more important to ensure as many home games as possible. 

odsum25

odsum25

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Supports:RBNY
Casseres is almost 19 and played quite a few first team matches in Venezuela at age 16/17, before coming to NY. He'll have his growing pains, but I think that he'll really come into his own as the season wears on, just like Adams did two years ago.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

I still can't help but feel like our fans have gotten a little spoiled with how many academy/USL guys have stepped up over the last few years. People are assuming that every year we'll have a guy not only make the jump to the first team, but straight into the upper echelon of MLS. Its been great to see that come to fruition with guys like Miazga, Long, and Adams, but I'm not convinced how sustainable that pace is.

This year is a little different with the new playoff format though, seeding is way more important to ensure as many home games as possible. 

I don't think the fans are spoiled, I think Austria is spoiled by us doing well on el cheapo budget.

i agree with you on the seeding format. I was more referring to our running out of gas by playoff time. 

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Was thinking about this just last night and looked up the progression of Tyler/CCJ

Adams:

2015: 11 USL Appearances

2016: 18 USL Appearances, 1 MLS Appearance

2017: 24 MLS Appearances

2018: 27 MLS Appearances

CCJ:

2016: 2 Venezuelan Premier League Appearances

2017: 13 Venezuelan Premier League Appearances

2018: 26 USL Appearances, 3 MLS Appearances

So purely on the numbers, if they're developing similarly, CCJ would be stepping into a Adams 2017 type year.  But in 2016, Adams was running USL games.  When he was on, he was the best player on the field.  I just haven't seen that from CCJ.  The FO is super high on him, but I don't know.  We're rolling the dice and hoping an 18 year old can fit right in. 

If CCJ looks bad to start the season, I guess we slot Valot back there?  I mentioned this in another thread, but I'd really like to see an above average MLS vet that can either split time with CCJ or take over the spot if he struggles.  Find a guy who makes ~150-200k and if it turns out he's not needed offload him at the end of the season.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

So purely on the numbers, if they're developing similarly, CCJ would be stepping into a Adams 2017 type year.  But in 2016, Adams was running USL games.  When he was on, he was the best player on the field.  I just haven't seen that from CCJ.  The FO is super high on him, but I don't know.  We're rolling the dice and hoping an 18 year old can fit right in. 

I always had the exact same impression of CCJ in USL. He never looked bad out there, but he hardly looked like he was running the game.

I know some of you guys watch every RB2 game, is it fair to say there is a big gap in how dominant Adams was in USL compared to CCJ?

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

I always had the exact same impression of CCJ in USL. He never looked bad out there, but he hardly looked like he was running the game.

I know some of you guys watch every RB2 game, is it fair to say there is a big gap in how dominant Adams was in USL compared to CCJ?

What makes Tyler so special is he possesses that rare quality of great confidence without undue arrogance. Some guys just believe more than others and can play without over thinking. He will be very hard to replace. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
FWIW Dyer asked Armas specifically about the CM position and Armas confirmed that was the area where they were looking at closing a deal shortly, most likely from outside of MLS. Probably the same move Hamlett alluded to the other day.

I'm surprised how quickly Rzatskowski faded into the sunset. Was there no attempt whatsoever to bring him back?

jp917

jp917

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

FWIW Dyer asked Armas specifically about the CM position and Armas confirmed that was the area where they were looking at closing a deal shortly, most likely from outside of MLS. Probably the same move Hamlett alluded to the other day.

I'm surprised how quickly Rzatskowski faded into the sunset. Was there no attempt whatsoever to bring him back?

I think it was his salary that stopped him from coming back. He was earning almost $1 million

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
I don't see how CM can be the biggest issue when the club went into the postseason last year with the league best defense on an incredible run of form and having an all-star CM in Adams -- AND they still couldn't get it done.

It shows you that no matter how good the defense and your defensive-minded midfielders are, you need to score goals to win titles. Offense is by far the #1 need again and it's not even close.

Unless you can bring in a CM that will score 10+ goals next season, getting a big splash winger or forward to play next to BWP is required and in my opinion more important.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users