Photo

Is it too early to start thinking about next year's starting 11?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Jay-Z

Jay-Z

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Supports:Sector Latino, Chicago Fire

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:48 PM

McBride---Nyarko

Thor
Martinez-------------Pappa
Pause

Krol--CJ--Conde--Ward

Busch

This assumes a 4-4-2 and that we're not pulling in internationals to sit on the bench. Discuss.

#2 jjayg

jjayg

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:55 PM

The only spot that seems immediately up for grabs is the AM spot. We have C-Bone and we have Baggio who will challenge Hot Rod for that position.
I'd expect that Martinez will be on the Right and Pappa will be on the left more often than not.

If somehow Mapp digs his head out of his butt I wouldn't be surprised to see Pappa having a shot behind the forwards either.

#3 jl_murtaugh

jl_murtaugh

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:12 PM

There's still the Collins John matzoh ball hanging out there, and rumors of a new a-mid DP target. I personally believe we'll see the latter, but not till after the World Cup.

#4 Section 8 El Guapo

Section 8 El Guapo

Player/Manager

• S8 Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Fire...Beer....Women....Beer....Section 8....Beer....Women.....New England Sucks......Beer....Duck Fallas....Beer.....
  • Supports:Your mom at Polkatz

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:45 PM

There's still the Collins John matzoh ball hanging out there, and rumors of a new a-mid DP target. I personally believe we'll see the latter, but not till after the World Cup.

Our rebuilding year is your dream team.

I like the sound of that.
WB05

UNA VIDA...UNA MUERTE...UN CLUB

#5 evobern

evobern

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Supports:Fire, MNT,

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:07 PM

I'm not too keen on having Thorr in the CM role. I rather have Pappa in the CM and have Banner our on a wing. It seems that Pappa sometimes gets lost playing on the wings. In my opinion, Pappa has the biggest potential to affect the game in that role. Plus, it doesn't hurt to have Banner's speed on the wing.

#6 drgnsFIRE

drgnsFIRE

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:41 PM

I'd thought I'd read that CDLC prefers a 3-5-2 but would decide after he evaluates the players a bit more. I'd be interested to see some lineup speculation from you all if he were to go that route.

#7 milicz

milicz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Supports:Fire

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:51 PM

-----McBride---John-------

-------Mapp---Thor--------
----------Conde-----------
Krol-------------------Ward
------------CJ---------------

-----Dykstra/Busch--------

The above is more along the lines of what I think Cobos would do given his stated plans. I don't see how you can expect to play one-touch soccer with Logan Pause in your midfield, I just don't.

#8 Jay-Z

Jay-Z

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Supports:Sector Latino, Chicago Fire

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:27 PM

-------Mapp---Thor--------
----------Conde-----------
Krol-------------------Ward
------------CJ---------------

-----Dykstra/Busch--------

The above is more along the lines of what I think Cobos would do given his stated plans. I don't see how you can expect to play one-touch soccer with Logan Pause in your midfield, I just don't.

I agree that Conde was a beast in the midfield last year. He looked dangerous on both sides of the ball, whereas Pause is often credited as the guy who does "all the little things". Maybe I'm just not smart enough from a soccer perspective to truly appreciate Pause and why he's always receiving accolades from those around him, but I think if given the chance Conde could dramatically change the way our midfield operates.

It would be an interesting thing to do. I think many in the organization view Pause as an integral part of our future and that might make this a delicate move.

#9 BenBurton

BenBurton

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:47 AM

I think we can shake up the league with a few changes.

First, Freddy Krueger would be swift on the wing, I say left wing as he can cut inside with his right. Up top, Jack the Ripper has proven to be able to score and quickly. He'd be a great addition up top.

Jason Vorhees is a bit slow but he could play sweeper with his positioning and timing. He never gives up on a play either. With Jason anchoring the defense, Al Capone and his crew would fill out a back line that would prohibit almost any unwanted activity in the final third of the field.

John Wayne Gasey's a bit of a clown in the locker room but could really play the holding mid position. Ed Gein would be a good compliment on the right wing as he is a sneaky little fuck. Michael Myers is a great shot blocker and has a poker face that could kill in a penalty shoot out.

I think these few additions would help create an attack minded team.

EDIT: If Jesse Marsh has one year left I'd fit him on this squad.

#10 Maddog

Maddog

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire, Arsenal, Celtic

Posted 24 January 2010 - 09:04 AM

I think we can shake up the league with a few changes.

First, Freddy Krueger would be swift on the wing, I say left wing as he can cut inside with his right. Up top, Jack the Ripper has proven to be able to score and quickly. He'd be a great addition up top.

Jason Vorhees is a bit slow but he could play sweeper with his positioning and timing. He never gives up on a play either. With Jason anchoring the defense, Al Capone and his crew would fill out a back line that would prohibit almost any unwanted activity in the final third of the field.

John Wayne Gasey's a bit of a clown in the locker room but could really play the holding mid position. Ed Gein would be a good compliment on the right wing as he is a sneaky little fuck. Michael Myers is a great shot blocker and has a poker face that could kill in a penalty shoot out.

I think these few additions would help create an attack minded team.

EDIT: If Jesse Marsh has one year left I'd fit him on this squad.

I heard this Dahmer kid is hungry to play...
"It's not any one person. It's not any one coach. It's the team."
Brian McBride

#11 tzimaki

tzimaki

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts
  • Supports:Healthy living.

Posted 24 January 2010 - 09:10 AM

Posted Image

"Marco take care of Beckham. I got Donovan"

#12 Chicago4ever

Chicago4ever

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, beer, games, ... , ... ,
  • Supports:UIC, FIRE, RAMPAGE

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:35 PM

-------Thor/Baggio--------
Pappa-------------Martinez
------Conde---Pause------

Krol---------CJ--------Ward
------Busch/Johnson-------

milicz, That is what I was thinking...but i did adjust it a bit for what probably will happen. I mean I don't think Logan does anything frankly...not since Armas left but will probably start.
DJ

The KNIGHTS are coming!

#13 milicz

milicz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:48 PM

milicz, That is what I was thinking...but i did adjust it a bit for what probably will happen. I mean I don't think Logan does anything frankly...not since Armas left but will probably start.

I know people keep mentioning that while they don't think Pause does much he is somehow a given as a starter. We don't have a Hamlett or Sarachan that is beholden to him anymore, and I just don't think he wins his spot when Cobos looks at the team fresh.

#14 jjayg

jjayg

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:48 PM

I know people keep mentioning that while they don't think Pause does much he is somehow a given as a starter. We don't have a Hamlett or Sarachan that is beholden to him anymore, and I just don't think he wins his spot when Cobos looks at the team fresh.

There is always the possibility that DLC unlocks a part of Pause's game he never knew he had as well. Not saying it will happen, just saying it's another possibility. Pause is a solid player, maybe with the right coach he could become something more. Who knows.

I loved when Conde was in the holding mid spot. On the ball he is definitely superior than Pause but I guarantee you he can't get around the field with as much ease as Pause can. Different players have different strengths and weaknesses. It's up to the coach to decide what all those are and how they will best fit together.

#15 milicz

milicz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:48 PM

There is always the possibility that DLC unlocks a part of Pause's game he never knew he had as well. Not saying it will happen, just saying it's another possibility. Pause is a solid player, maybe with the right coach he could become something more. Who knows.

I loved when Conde was in the holding mid spot. On the ball he is definitely superior than Pause but I guarantee you he can't get around the field with as much ease as Pause can. Different players have different strengths and weaknesses. It's up to the coach to decide what all those are and how they will best fit together.

Right, who knows? Still if CDLC decides he wants to go to 3-5-2 does he sit CJ or does he sit Pause or does he go with 2 D-mids? That's what I expect to be the question on his mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users