36 replies to this topic

hoofit

hoofit

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

Lived in NYC for long time now, and maybe makin' a move.  Lookin' at Jersey -- suburbs.

I'd rather not bias this with my lack of income nor distate for latte's and shit like that, so just assume I'm run-of-the-mill fella.  Which is true.

My job is in NYC so will need commuter access.  I'd like a house.  Otherwise, it's open season.

Any tip appreciated.

Talk to me.

Cheers!

Excellence Not Expectations

Chic Charnley

Chic Charnley

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts
  • Interests:football, soccer, futball....etc
  • Supports:NYRB & PTFC

Bloomfield

NJ Transit 30mins direct to NY Penn (weekdays only, otherwise Hoboken). Still a very traditional NJ town. No big box stores or heavy retail. Safe enough with no major poverty/crime/unemployment. Housing prices start $250K (3/2 & a bit of TLC). 

NJ Transit to Newark Broad St for RBA or get on the GSP to the 280 for one of the easier car rides to RBA,

regulator

regulator

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

Secaucus. It's very close distance-wise to NYC, although it will still probably take you at least 30 mins (probably closer to 45 mins) door to door. There's bus and also direct train access via NJ transit to Penn station.  

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Harrison!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Frieslander

Frieslander

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • Supports:Metro

need more info.  do you want a yard to go with that house?  Buy or rent?  Bus, train or either?  Access to transit narrows options.

Soy de Metro.

UpstateFan

UpstateFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

Tough to say without a really good sense of income, what you're range of home prices, tolerance for taxes, and how far from commuters lines you want.

Top places that come to mind along commuter lines are Ridgewood, Westfield, and Montclair...but they're all real pricey. The area around Bloomfield and Clifton may be a bit more affordable and middle-class.  

There's more affordable stuff if you're willing to go further out of live in a more traditional suburbia where you wouldn't necessarily walk to everything....but it's tough. Unless you make a ton of cash, there's not a lot of great options than give you a good combination of nice and close to city-bound mass transit.

hoofit

hoofit

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

Thanks very much for the replies thus far.

To clarify, I would like to purchase a house with a yard, and access to transit in to the city (train or bus), no more than 50 mins commute (god help me), but I don't necessarily need walking access to that station.

Thanks

Excellence Not Expectations

UpstateFan

UpstateFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

Thanks very much for the replies thus far.

To clarify, I would like to purchase a house with a yard, and access to transit in to the city (train or bus), no more than 50 mins commute (god help me), but I don't necessarily need walking access to that station.

Thanks

That will be pricey. Good luck finding a sub-hour commute. I work in northern Bergen County and couldn't find anything, and i don't even need mass transit. Everything was well out of my price range and had 15-20K in taxes a year. The market sucks for new home-owners. They don't build new moderately sized homes anymore....just luxury condos than aren't worth it. Existing homes are either over-priced and if not, it's a huge renovation. 

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

Bloomfield

NJ Transit 30mins direct to NY Penn (weekdays only, otherwise Hoboken). Still a very traditional NJ town. No big box stores or heavy retail. Safe enough with no major poverty/crime/unemployment. Housing prices start $250K (3/2 & a bit of TLC). 

NJ Transit to Newark Broad St for RBA or get on the GSP to the 280 for one of the easier car rides to RBA,

Bloomfield is a very good recommendation, in my opinion. I lived there for a year. 

The NJ Transit train is extremely convenient and a great option, being only a 30 minute trip to NY Penn during the week. From what I've been told, this improved service is a relatively recent expansion, as Bloomfield has seen an increased # of people moving in that commute to NY, as opposed to choosing the pricier neighboring towns like Glen Ridge and Montclair. Very easy trip to RBA, as well. There's some pretty good food and bar options next door in Montclair, as well, if you're looking to stay local and low-key. 

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

Bloomfield is a very good recommendation, in my opinion. I lived there for a year. 

The NJ Transit train is extremely convenient and a great option, being only a 30 minute trip to NY Penn during the week. From what I've been told, this improved service is a relatively recent expansion, as Bloomfield has seen an increased # of people moving in that commute to NY, as opposed to choosing the pricier neighboring towns like Glen Ridge and Montclair. Very easy trip to RBA, as well. There's some pretty good food and bar options next door in Montclair, as well, if you're looking to stay local and low-key. 

And although I wasn't in the housing market, it is a relatively affordable town, as Chic Charnley referenced. Just look to stay more towards the North side of town, as the South side of town that borders East Orange gets a little sketchy. 

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Other towns to consider are North Arlington, Lyndhurst, and Garfield.

Had a couple friends move to Lyndhurst within the last year. Can get a remodeled house with a yard for around $300-$350K. 

Personally, I live in Ridgewood (on two train lines). Rent is expensive... great place to live, but expensive. Southern Bergen County (like the towns I mentioned) are much more affordable.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hartford Athletic, USMNT

That will be pricey. Good luck finding a sub-hour commute. I work in northern Bergen County and couldn't find anything, and i don't even need mass transit. Everything was well out of my price range and had 15-20K in taxes a year. The market sucks for new home-owners. They don't build new moderately sized homes anymore....just luxury condos than aren't worth it. Existing homes are either over-priced and if not, it's a huge renovation. 

how about those luxury condos that are being built on the road that leads to Red Bull Arena? Man, that is the place to live! Walk to all the games! That's gotta be worth something, eh?

metros11

metros11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Bloomfield

What are taxes like in Bloomfield?

"What better way for DC United fans to drown their sorrows than with this new beer called 'The Tradition'.  A relic name of a bygone era where DCU was relevant." - VfLKirwan

vflkirwan

vflkirwan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts
  • Supports:Metro/VfL Wolfsburg und die US Boys

TOO HIGH!

Chic Charnley

Chic Charnley

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts
  • Interests:football, soccer, futball....etc
  • Supports:NYRB & PTFC

Being Jersey, what with its own school district, police&fire dept and a public works dept / town hall, its never going to be cheap. The average appears to be $10k/year. 

Bloomfiled doesn't have a large commercial & retail district or any McMansions to help share the tax load. Unfortunately, towns who do have a lower tax bill for smaller homes (because of a more varied tax income) can be more much more expensive to purchase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users