14 replies to this topic

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls
With the potential demise of the NASL, would anyone object of the Cosmos ownership buying RedBull? I never really understood the objection of Cosmos being part of the MLS. Maybe it was MLS owners not wanting to experience the collapse of MLS ala Legacy NASL due to free spending Cosmos back in the day. But it could be a possibility.

We can even throw in Beckham's ownership team into the mix. With the hurdles they have had to face in Miami and continued doubt of the feasibility of the city, why wouldn't Golden Balls consider buying an existing Team? With RedBull, you have one of the best stadiums already built and a market that you can attract big name players.

I only stipulate because the lack of investment in player talent by the current ownership is starting to be frustrating. I was a full season ticket holder and have pushed back on my rep to give me a half season package because I just do not believe in our ownership. Been a supporter since Day One. Seeing how all the new franchises are investing in exciting talent is frustrating to see.

With all the new player acquisition rules and Garber bucks to spend, there is no excuse.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

With the potential demise of the NASL, would anyone object of the Cosmos ownership buying RedBull? I never really understood the objection of Cosmos being part of the MLS. Maybe it was MLS owners not wanting to experience the collapse of MLS ala Legacy NASL due to free spending Cosmos back in the day. But it could be a possibility.

We can even throw in Beckham's ownership team into the mix. With the hurdles they have had to face in Miami and continued doubt of the feasibility of the city, why wouldn't Golden Balls consider buying an existing Team? With RedBull, you have one of the best stadiums already built and a market that you can attract big name players.

I only stipulate because the lack of investment in player talent by the current ownership is starting to be frustrating. I was a full season ticket holder and have pushed back on my rep to give me a half season package because I just do not believe in our ownership. Been a supporter since Day One. Seeing how all the new franchises are investing in exciting talent is frustrating to see.

With all the new player acquisition rules and Garber bucks to spend, there is no excuse.

Did MLS not want Cosmos or did Cosmos not want MLS? I thought the Cosmos ownership balked at the single entity thing?

Beckham is interesting, but the problem is MLS, per Beckhams contract, is waiving the the expansion fee for him. I dont think Red Bull would give him the same type of discount.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I'd argue Cosmos is more plastic than Red Bull at this point. Fuck that. I don't want another team's history forced onto Metro.

rzrhtr

rzrhtr

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

So the story goes at the start (I'm talking mid-90's) the only remnant of the NASL MLS was interested in was the Cosmos for one of the planned New York teams (they were hoping for two originally). But Pepe Pinton wouldn't sell the naming rights, either under the belief that he was being lowballed or he didn't want to "tarnish the name" -- a hilarious idea given everything that comes next.

By the 2010's, Pinton seemingly knew he had to cash out. He eventually sold the team to Paul Kemsley, who talked up building a super club out of the Cosmos ashes -- totally ignorant of how MLS and American soccer worked. They were primarily used to sell shirts and played a single game, a testimonial against Manchester United, in which they got absolutely, positively trounced. Think Asbury Park FC, except Shawn Francis was actually delusional enough to believe his clothing brand could play an actual, honest-to-God soccer game against one of the biggest teams in the world.

Then the name ended up in the hands of Saudi-backed Sela Sports who started playing the team in Hofstra in the new NASL with Raul and blahblahblah. As far as them in MLS, it depends on who you ask. Some will say the Cosmos wouldn't play ball with MLS, because they thought the Cosmos name was so special, they shouldn't have to deal with the business side strictures every other MLS owner has to. Others will say Manchester City came knocking with a more lucrative offer, so it was MLS who walked away. Regardless of whether either story is true or the truth lies somewhere in between or there's a story we haven't yet heard, that's basically how the Cosmos got where they are now.

Which is all to say I'm not sure if MLS wants them or doesn't. It was a whole cavalcade of idiocy and hubris that did all of what I've recounted above and I'm still not convinced that even if Rocco Commisso had the money (and Red Bull was willing to sell) that he'd buy the team. I think he's really committed to this lawsuit he's filed -- which is just more idiocy and hubris.

The only thing I can confidently say about the Cosmos is that since the demise of the old NASL, the brand has been wildly overvalued by pretty much everyone who has owned it.

As far as Beckham goes, it's my understanding New York and LA were written out of his expansion deal. I don't believe it's transferable and he's already exercised it. I won't pretend to know what that means, because I haven't seen the contract, but I assume it means he's locked into Miami. Plus, I'm not sure how a deal to use his discounted expansion fee to buy an existing team would even work. Would MLS be expected to step in and pay the difference between his reported $25 million or $30 million or whatever buy-in and whatever dollar figure the expansion fee is going to be for the next round of entrants? I just don't see that happening. The deal Beckham signed is the deal Beckham is going to work with, especially since it's in effect.

I think the Cosmos might be cool, sure, whatever. But this isn't happening.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
No thanks

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
This franchise needs a DE-branding, not another rebranding.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Pinton ... sold the team to Paul Kemsley

Team? He sold the name. There was no team.
I still wonder how much cash, if any, Peppe actually received.

Asbury Park FC ... could play ... against one of the biggest teams in the world.

Why not? They are undefeated!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

rzrhtr

rzrhtr

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Team? He sold the name. There was no team.

What are you talking about? Look at this roster! Full of legends.

Funny enough, Patrick Viera played for the Cosmos for the game.

Also hilarious: That there were "Cosmos U-23 players" on that roster.

I'm sure it's findable on YouTube, but they actually held a fan forum at Legends back when Kemsley was in charge. I remember there being guys decked out in Cosmos stuff asking questions and slinging insults at the "fizzy pop club." I couldn't tell you now if they were plants or true believers or what. Watching it now has to be cringe-worthy.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

Wasn't that after the sale?  ;)

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Funny enough, Patrick Viera played for the Cosmos for the game.

Also hilarious: That there were "Cosmos U-23 players" on that roster.

I'm sure it's findable on YouTube, but they actually held a fan forum at Legends back when Kemsley was in charge. I remember there being guys decked out in Cosmos stuff asking questions and slinging insults at the "fizzy pop club." I couldn't tell you now if they were plants or true believers or what. Watching it now has to be cringe-worthy.

It's laughable hearing the fuck-wads tweeting out their rage. 

2 tears in a bucket.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

rzrhtr

rzrhtr

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

It's laughable hearing the fuck-wads tweeting out their rage. 

2 tears in a bucket.

How anyone can look at the NASL and say their failings are the fault of US Soccer is beyond me.

Remember when Traffic Sports was a big-time shareholder? Remember when they announced their Northern Virginia expansion team that just kinda...died? When they let a Segunda Division team set up shop in Oklahoma City of all places? When one of their owners stole the field? When they let in a San Francisco team that did no marketing beyond buzzwords, then blamed the fans? How many teams did the league have to prop up over the years? Remember when they had Eric Wynalda coaching a team VIA SKYPE?

There's a reason anyone with any sense jumped ship at their earliest convenience. The NASL replaced anything resembling business acumen with bluster.

Bill Peterson and friends were way too concerned with pumping themselves up as MLS challengers, when in reality they were letting anyone with a suitcase full of money into the league. They could have succeeded on taking on MLS -- there were plenty of big cities without teams and a more nimble league with fewer restrictions could have forced MLS to change -- but they were more concerned with telling people they were going to do it than actually doing it.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
Most peoples failings are of their own making. That doesnt stop them from blaming others.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
The above post hits the nail on the head. Dana White has a line he always uses that goes "So you wanna be a fucking fighter?", and that's what I say to NASL: "so you want to be a fucking major league?". Unlike some people here I take no joy in the league collapsing into a sea of shit. People are losing their jobs, fans are losing their teams. On their behalf I have nothing but venom towards the fools who ran the league into the ground.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

rzrhtr

rzrhtr

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

The above post hits the nail on the head. Dana White has a line he always uses that goes "So you wanna be a fucking fighter?", and that's what I say to NASL: "so you want to be a fucking major league?". Unlike some people here I take no joy in the league collapsing into a sea of shit. People are losing their jobs, fans are losing their teams. On their behalf I have nothing but venom towards the fools who ran the league into the ground.

As a one-time Hartford Whalers fan, seeing teams fold or move brings back bad memories. Teams closing up shop sucks for fans and employees and isn't a good thing for American soccer.

That being said, the reborn NASL is an embarrassment sooner forgotten, for all the reasons stated above and I'm sure many I forgot.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
I had expected NASL to be a collection of owners desirous of signing their own players, contrary to MLSs system.
There were certainly enough cities without MLS teams, at first. But as each joined MLS, the potential rivalry fizzled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users