1452 replies to this topic

RedBullsFC

RedBullsFC

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts
  • Supports:club: NYRB/////country: USA
CAM - Sherman Cardenas / Athletico Nacional Medellin.....I really think he would find success in this league and we could eventually sell him off when European clubs start sniffing around .

RiverEnergyDrink

RiverEnergyDrink

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

I may a bit biased on this, but hopefully we could get some scouts to South America and get 2 or 3 DPs at around a million each.  Like a Mauro Diaz, Diego Valeri or a Higuain.  Or a Piatti.  With losing Henry's (and possibly Cahill's)  contract, this would be a much cheaper way to approaching DPs.

As an avid argentine soccer fan, I see MLS get mentioned more and more in daily soccer publications in Argentina (For example, Valeri's highlights are often mentioned).  Plus, the argentinean economy is (and has been) in the shitter.  Teams down there can't hold onto players for too long, as players want to cash in on contracts in Dollars, Euros or Pounds. 

We should also stick to what has worked for us in trying to find players below the first division in the UK (like with Sam and BWP) and getting them to non-DP contracts.  I know the league hates seeing 2nd and 3rd division players oversees come here and tear it up, but hey its been working out for us.

GMoney

GMoney

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I totally miss threads where our fans advocate for a team with 5 DP's and are realistically debating it.

Next season we're most likely going to have to DP BWP weather anyone likes it or not.

I also think we're going to have a USA international DP.  That seems to me, the direction the team is looking for.  It's also trend among MLS teams (Chris Wondolowski, Eddie Johnson, Graham Zusi, Omar Gonzalez, Matt Besler, DeMarcus Beasley, Jermaine Jones, Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Maurice Edu, etc.)

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

scheets973

scheets973

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, USMNT, Santos FC

But we are just not that good =( I want the best DP I can get!

Section133

Section133

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Supports:Metros

Altidore, or don't bother.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Altidore, or don't bother.

Isn't he another Cahill, in a way?  Are we going to a 4-4-2?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Sell Cahill and bring in Altidore and an attacking mid. So simple.

matador

matador

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts
  • Supports:metro, USMNT

Sell Cahill and bring in Altidore and an attacking mid. So simple.

if you can find a buyer for cahill no ones paying more than 1 million, while jozy would cost at least 5, but probably closer to 8-10 million to bring back. 

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

No shot at Jozy...  Reading between the lines, there is no reason to believe that we'll spend any money.

Sucks too because you can go to a youth-movement AND still bring in guys like Mix and Bedoya.  Guys who will be here 5 years minimum.

scheets973

scheets973

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, USMNT, Santos FC

How much longer does Cahill actually have on his contract? If he stays,  I won't mind, as long as he plays. Maybe the Captains Armband would turn things around for him--but by every indication, it seems they both want out and the A-league is calling. I've got no answers as for a replacement for TT.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

How much longer does Cahill actually have on his contract? If he stays,  I won't mind, as long as he plays. Maybe the Captains Armband would turn things around for him--but by every indication it seems they both want out and the A-league is calling. I've got no answers as for a replacement for TT.

1 year.  But it looks like he has no intention of staying.

And we have no intention on directly trying to replace either he or Henry.  Unless Sean Davis and Metzger are the answers.

SoapyDish

SoapyDish

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Arsenal

I hear Messi wants out....

but in all seriousness, I'd welcome back Jozy Altidore. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

1 year.  But it looks like he has no intention of staying.

And we have no intention on directly trying to replace either he or Henry.  Unless Sean Davis and Metzger are the answers.

You can never directly replace an Henry... but I will be very surprised if we don't go into next season with two DP's (okay, I won't be surprised if we try to have two DP's, and somone screws the pooch on a deal and we have to wait unil summer for the second one).  I don't care about them being marquee names, as long as the fit our plan.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

You can never directly replace an Henry... but I will be very surprised if we don't go into next season with two DP's (okay, I won't be surprised if we try to have two DP's, and somone screws the pooch on a deal and we have to wait unil summer for the second one).  I don't care about them being marquee names, as long as the fit our plan.

I agree that you don't directly replace Henry.  

I do strongly disagree that we sign 2 DP's.   I fully believe that BWP will be one of them.  Perhaps they convince Cahill to come back one year, but if he's gone then I only believe we have 1 DP.

And if that's the case and we really try to go super young, then we better trade the allocation we have no intention of using for additional picks/younger players.

123NYwins

123NYwins

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • Supports:Metropolitan SC, USA, & DC folding

Is this the first time in the DP era that an offseason has begun, we have the ability to fill DP slots, and there are literally no names floating around? I really don't think we start 2015 with no glitzy DPs, but if RB made that choice, that would raise my Red Bull Wants to Sell meter to 100%. Sorry for any potential thread hijacking.

#RedBullOut

"This is where I’m from. A team I represented for over 10 years. If I had been going somewhere it would have just been a job."

-Mike Petke

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users