32panels

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

An interesting article from Denver:

http://blogs.denverp...e-banner/24378/

Any chance of combining the South Ward into one supporters group?  Any interest or thoughts?

At the end of the day, the more the supporters groups grow and take up additional space in the stadium, the better the experience will be for fans and the team.  Would combining into one group help membership grow?

Nuno

Nuno

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, SLB

Would be really cool if it could happen....REALLY COOL.  (just my 2 cents)

FORZA METRO!
Bringing the noise from Sec 201

onionsack

onionsack

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos

Too many ego's and too many people that want to be in control. Never happen here, and frankly the Red Bull identiy crisis issue is a major reason why as well.

RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

Nuno

Nuno

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Too many ego's and too many people that want to be in control. Never happen here, and frankly the Red Bull identiy crisis issue is a major reason why as well.

I don't know if I necessarily agree with that.  I'm not a member of any of the Supporter Groups, but I do know folks in each, and am seriously considering joining one this season, but still, it would be nice to be part of 1 large group united, then 1 of 3 smaller groups.  This could work here and make the overall experience that much better...IMO

FORZA METRO!

BillFromAstoria

BillFromAstoria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Liverpool, US, SUNY Purchase

A house divided against itself cannot stand. 

METRO T-SHIRTS!

1996NY.com

Even the losers get lucky sometimes.

Nuno

Nuno

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

A house divided against itself cannot stand. 

Well put Sir.  Well put.

FORZA METRO!

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Sack is right with the last part of his statement.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Sack's right with his last line. Not for the better...it's the 'hate the brand' people that really bring down the unity. The people who scoff at the RB supporters while holding their noses up because they have a Metro shirt on their back...not saying you can't say metro or wear metro stuff (I do both) but you simply cannot have hostility for the fans and the club that clearly outnumbers you.

But I don't think it will happen. How many times have you seen the three sections doing their own thing? GSU is a big offender. Half the time their section is empty, and most of the time, they just do whatever they want. ESC people seem to (and I'm generalizing) enjoy poking fun at the 'weirdos' to their left and at the end of the day we get a cluster fuck that, if not for the ridiculously loud megaphones (which can be heard on TV and sound bush league) can at times be impossible to understand. This isn't really to call out a single group, it's to call all of them out. With that said, I really can't make suggestions or be overly critical..I don't live close enough to attend meetings and I haven't been here very long. So, I continue to get my tickets in 101 and try to have a good time, but cringe when the lack of unity becomes obvious.

I'm fine with all three sections. But our road support is always better, despite being smaller, because everyone is together led by one...

Nuno

Nuno

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

RedBulls4Life, very good points.  In all honesty, the reason I haven't joined a group yet is because of just that..THERE'S MORE THAN ONE GROUP.  I agree for the most part of your assessment of how things go down.  That's my observation as well sitting directly above ESC.  There are times when they come together and do a GREAT job, but inveitebly it does go back to everyone doing their own thing, which just sounds like crap.  I don't know if it will ever happen either, but IF it ever does, I would gladly join a unified group.

FORZA METRO!

MikeV

MikeV

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Supports:Metros

I don't know if I'd be in favor of combining all the groups as I think there are legitimate differences between them that make each group unique but it might be nice to see some regular joint events to increase cohesiveness between us all. I think the main issue is one group is openly antagonistic most of the time and then is the first to play the victim card when anyone points out the obvious. 

Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg

Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Kneeling before Zod
  • Supports:Insulting toddlers' intelligence

I don't know if I'd be in favor of combining all the groups as I think there are legitimate differences between them that make each group unique but it might be nice to see some regular joint events to increase cohesiveness between us all. I think the main issue is one group is openly antagonistic most of the time and then is the first to play the victim card when anyone points out the obvious. 

Yeah, that damn Raging Bull Nation.

-Who are you and how did you get in here?

-I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts

I hear there is differences but what are they? GSU claims to bring Euro-style support. ESC is the original SG, and the VA just seems like the ESC, except they actually respect the Red Bulls name and don't bitch about the brand whenever they get a chance. Obviously this is generalizing, but I've seen far more street clothes, hate the brand shirts, and anti-RB comments in 101 than the other sections. I'm not close enough to be involved with the extra-curricular stuff but I am skeptical about these major differences.

These guys all have their own sections, their own friends, and their own pre-game bars though. Some like to refer to the team as Metro, others Red Bull. They battle to get to the arena first and put up their own banners and sometimes they do tifos in their section only. What I'm saying is, there's 0% chance they combine. The best we can hope for is the leaders work together and try to bring a united voice to the 11 guys on the pitch.

Hutskizzle

Hutskizzle

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

There will never ever be a unified South Ward. Ever.

Mike
Petke
Fever
Catch It.

Nuno

Nuno

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

MikeV, I can't say I am familiar enough with all of the group "politics" and riffs that exist to comment on that, but I would imagine there are some definite obstacles.  I didn't start the thread, but it is something that has always intrigued me about the ESC/VA/GSU groups.  You'd think that at some point they could all come together and say, shit...we're all here from the same thing, we're all a little, or a lot, different, but in the end we're here to root on Metro/RBNY.  Let's just get under one big umbrella and do it louder and better and more unified than ever....(just sayin')

FORZA METRO!

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts

The ego's are way too big. This will be the third season I go to RBNY games, and I can clearly see it already. I have always sat in 101 but that's because it's usually the fullest. I don't like standing around awkwardly next to empty seats...I'll sing whatever you want. I'll wave a flag for 90 minutes. It doesn't matter to me, but I do get frustrated when another group breaks out 'shalalalala NY' in the middle of Vamos Metros.

Again to re-iterate...no problem with any of the groups. Keep doing your thing, but the SW is more intimidating when everyone is on the same page.

PS: No more bush league megaphones please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users