153 replies to this topic

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Then, at least once a game, he will get caught too far upfield or out of position, and he will give up a chance that should result in a goal.

He does it way more than once per game. It took him less than 10 seconds yesterday! He tried to jump a pass, whiffed, and KC had a break right off the bat.

Sometimes he makes the play and looks like a hero, but for me a full time starter can't leave himself exposed so often.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Sometimes he makes the play and looks like a hero, but for me a full time starter can't leave himself exposed so often.

The coaches must permit him to play this risk/reward strategy. I cannot see him doing it on his own.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

And Kutler just isn't ready and doesn't know the position, since he used to be a forward. He still shoots like one. 

Also another thing about Muyl and Lade, weren't they both on the right side of the field when we played at Yankee Stadium last week? Surprised they didn't get shelled last week, since NYCFC rolls over all the other teams that've played there. 

Can't get run over at Yankee Stadium because that tiny field does not allow any movement... just ugly games.

Good observation in this forum about Muyl / Lade. They both can work, but cannot be lined up on the same side. Hope the coaching staff makes that adjustment going forward.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I would go with this configuration to get Rza on the field.  Davis never really played the wing.  We moved him up there when we did that 3-3-3-1 formation but that's something very different.  In this formation you play in a lot more space and have to do a lot more running. Davis probably has the engine, but he's not a space player.  Kaku has to stay on the field so you can't put Tyler at the 10 like we did last night.  Those two wing spots do more running than any other position on the team outside maybe fullback so Kaku can't be used there.

-----------BWP------

Royer--Kaku---Adams

-----Davis--Rza

Taxi Long Parker Murillo

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

The coaches must permit him to play this risk/reward strategy. I cannot see him doing it on his own.

Well he's done it under four different coaches, might just be his style.

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

I would go with this configuration to get Rza on the field.  Davis never really played the wing.  We moved him up there when we did that 3-3-3-1 formation but that's something very different.  In this formation you play in a lot more space and have to do a lot more running. Davis probably has the engine, but he's not a space player.  Kaku has to stay on the field so you can't put Tyler at the 10 like we did last night.  Those two wing spots do more running than any other position on the team outside maybe fullback so Kaku can't be used there.

-----------BWP------

Royer--Kaku---Adams

-----Davis--Rza

Taxi Long Parker Murillo

Wasn't Davis playing the wing before we got rid of Felipe?

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

-----------BWP------
Royer--Kaku---Adams
-----Davis--Rza
Taxi Long Parker Murillo

We need to get our best players on the pitch and that it includes RZA, not Muyl. And, Adams is probably the best choice to put on the wing. RZA looked awkward when he played there and, youre right, Davis doesnt seem to fit the mold of a winger (thats not the role he played last year). So this lineup makes sense.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

I think this was last yr's 3-3-3-1

BWP 

Royer Sacha Davis

Felipe

Tyler was at RWB for some of it, iirc. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts

Why not the 5-2-3. Given injuries and holes in the roster, allows to start one of Muyl/Lade, rather than starting both. 

BWP

Royer Kaku

Tyler Davis

Taxi Long Parker Fidel Lade

Robles 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

SoapyDish

SoapyDish

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Arsenal

Why not the 5-2-3. Given injuries and holes in the roster, allows to start one of Muyl/Lade, rather than starting both. 

BWP

Royer Kaku

Tyler Davis

Taxi Long Parker Fidel Lade

Robles 

Thing about this is that it leaves the outside backs in a difficult position because they are the entire wing, especially since you don't want Kaku drifting out wide. This also makes our high-press really tiresome on our front three unless you push up Taxi/Lade higher up and really play a 3-4-2-1. And Lade already finds himself in no mans land enough, never mind with his actual instructions to push higher.

Also, throwing our typically solid defense into a back 5 while also putting in a guy who has pretty much never seen the field with us doesn't sound like the greatest idea.

edit: if you want something like this you'd probably have to run it like:

BWP

Royer / Kaku

Taxi / Adams / Davis / Lade(or Muyl, i guess)

Long / Parker / Escobar

Robles

which honestly, looks nice considering our injuries, it just all depends on if the back three is comfortable playing like that

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts

whatever formation we used against Chivas in Guadalajara was 3 CBs. Difference was we started Muyl. This time we have Kaku. Have Davis shield the back three with Kaku underneath BWP and Tyler at RM with whoever at RWB Lade/Kutler/Muyl supporting. 

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

At this point Muyl and Royer have earned a seat on the bench for Etienne and Rzatkowski (and/or whoever our signing(s) might be).

Royer (and BWP) are still the most skillful players in the squad though. Although Royer can go through goalscoring slumps, I don't think the team can win a championship with him on the bench. He (and BWP) are the most likely to create a chance out of nothing.

robs0650

robs0650

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Red Bulls II, Manu

Royer (and BWP) are still the most skillful players in the squad though. Although Royer can go through goalscoring slumps, I don't think the team can win a championship with him on the bench. He (and BWP) are the most likely to create a chance out of nothing.

Royer has 4 goals, of which I believe 2 were penalty's  , he has the most shots on the team and also 0 assists. I like him but his performance is not what it was last year.

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Bolton, Swansea

Royer has 4 goals, of which I believe 2 were penalty's  , he has the most shots on the team and also 0 assists. I like him but his performance is not what it was last year.

Well hopefully he turns the corner soon. Only 1 PK btw. In typical fashion this team has been awarded 2 PKs. Atlanta meanwhile has about 20.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Well hopefully he turns the corner soon. Only 1 PK btw. In typical fashion this team has been awarded 2 PKs. Atlanta meanwhile has about 20.

We are 2/2. ATL 9/11. TFC 3/7.
https://www.mlssoccer.com/stats/team
BTW, we are 13th in Shots (262), but 4th in SOGs (114) & T4 on Goals (37).
Also, first in Assists (48), +5 over LAFC, +10 over SKC.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users