584 replies to this topic

CurbYourNewUrbanism

CurbYourNewUrbanism

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Arsenal

I suspect COVID is a big factor for casuals in particular. It seems like the crowds these days are almost entirely die hards. I'm trying not to concern myself about attendance too much this year; I'll wait and see what things look like next year. It doesn't seem like the team is making much of a marketing effort this year either, like they're just writing this year off. 

Setting aside the quality of the actual team for a moment, if they don't start next season with a very aggressive ramped up marketing push to try and get people back to the stadium at all costs, then I'm not sure what the future holds except for an eventual decline to a Chivas USA-style fade out of existence. 

Living in the city, it's been tough the last few years to get people to come to games. Before the pandemic you had the WTC PATH weekend closures, which made it incredibly annoying to get to the stadium. I did it every game because I love going and would probably continue to no matter how much they suck, but it's tough to ask casuals to do that. This year of course there's the pandemic factor. With PATH back to normal at WTC I've been getting from my seat in the stadium to my home in Brooklyn in an hour. Not bad at all. Add in that there are more bars near the stadium to hit, the improved Harrison PATH station, etc., there are a lot of reasons for people who tried a game several years ago and haven't been back to give it another shot. But the team has to do something to actually convince them to come. Winning would certainly help.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Paper bags! Paper bags! Generate optics they cant spin away.

Optics only matter if someone is watching.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

I suspect COVID is a big factor for casuals in particular. It seems like the crowds these days are almost entirely die hards. I'm trying not to concern myself about attendance too much this year; I'll wait and see what things look like next year. It doesn't seem like the team is making much of a marketing effort this year either, like they're just writing this year off. 

Setting aside the quality of the actual team for a moment, if they don't start next season with a very aggressive ramped up marketing push to try and get people back to the stadium at all costs, then I'm not sure what the future holds except for an eventual decline to a Chivas USA-style fade out of existence. 

Living in the city, it's been tough the last few years to get people to come to games. Before the pandemic you had the WTC PATH weekend closures, which made it incredibly annoying to get to the stadium. I did it every game because I love going and would probably continue to no matter how much they suck, but it's tough to ask casuals to do that. This year of course there's the pandemic factor. With PATH back to normal at WTC I've been getting from my seat in the stadium to my home in Brooklyn in an hour. Not bad at all. Add in that there are more bars near the stadium to hit, the improved Harrison PATH station, etc., there are a lot of reasons for people who tried a game several years ago and haven't been back to give it another shot. But the team has to do something to actually convince them to come. Winning would certainly help.

this is the most annoying part for me.  When we were pretty good path situation made it crappy. I've gotten casuals to come a couple times with me from Brooklyn this year but the they actually have less transit and off the field entertainment / food issues than ever before.  but the team is mid on the field.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

Stop with the Covid nonsense. We literally tarped off 1/3 of the arena before Covid. Since 2015 when Henry left and the team changed directions, the attendance/relevance has been on a decline. The ONLY thing keeping it afloat was the fact that we were actually a TOP team in the league and were competing for shields and championships. And even then, it wasn't great. 

The diehards like us will always show up, but this team has 0 casual fans. The marketing is worse than ever. We have no big name players, we aren't good, and there's a complete lack of connection from the supporters to the club. Even our most diehard supporters can't agree if the chants are "Metro" or "New York". How is someone new supposed to feel any attachment to this club? "Red Runs Deep"...??? That's our slogan? Could it be any more generic? 

Such a sad state of relevance right now. I genuinely can't even imagine this team selling out RBA for a game in the near future unless we hosted MLS Cup. MAYBE a home derby playoff match. Maybe.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Yeah the attendance decline has been a multi year issue. This club is hemmoraghing people who give a shit. Just totally stuck in purgatory.

#RedBullOut

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Yeah the attendance decline has been a multi year issue. This club is hemmoraghing people who give a shit.

Nycfc has been having the same problem, look at the attendance for games between the 2 teams and how much they have dropped off over the years. I'm curious to see what the 8/21 game vs them looks like attendance wise but 0 chance of it being a sell out.

It really is amazing how much of a mess the MLS let their biggest market area teams become.

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull

Nycfc has been having the same problem, look at the attendance for games between the 2 teams and how much they have dropped off over the years. I'm curious to see what the 8/21 game vs them looks like attendance wise but 0 chance of it being a sell out.

It really is amazing how much of a mess the MLS let their biggest market area teams become.

Local. Commited. Ownership

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
The team would rather have 5-10k soccer moms and their kids asking for players jerseys after they lose 5-0

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,477 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

Paper bags! Paper bags! Generate optics they cant spin away.
ap_steelers_browns_football_79905008.jpg

6a00e54ef2975b88330120a5580869970c-pi.jp

https://media.gettyi...16464?s=612x612
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Nothing committed fans can do will be as effective at pressuring Red Bull to sell as the low attendance numbers already are.  Red Bull would much rather have an engaged fan base who hates them, then no fan base at all, which is what this team has slowly been heading towards even before Red Bull bought the team.  

As always, I hope Red Bull sells the team, but I do not think there is any thing committed fans can do to meaningfully hasten that.  I do not know of a single example in the history of sports where the action of committed fans pressured an owner to sell and certainly not one as rich and sophisticated as Red Bull.

My greatest fear, which I unfortunately believe is somewhat possible, is that the issues with the team in this market are structural and are much deeper than a change in ownership can fix. 

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

As always, I hope Red Bull sells the team, but I do not think there is any thing committed fans can do to meaningfully hasten that.  I do not know of a single example in the history of sports where the action of committed fans pressured an owner to sell and certainly not one as rich and sophisticated as Red Bull....

Columbus would like to have a word

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull
Save the Crew might be close

As previously stated, I am totally up for giving Dieter the Khartoum treatment

Edit : I wonder if the headwinds of this market are too much to bear for American soccer myself. But it would be nice to have a competent marketing team to know for sure.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

Save the Crew had local fans who understood what was on the line. Their supporters groups backed it officially. I don't like rehashing the way it all went down in 2015 but I approached VA/GSU and ESC all at the same time. VA is a shell of itself now. ESC has good membership but attendance in 101 has fallen off a cliff and GSU got banned. This club has given absolutely nothing for loyalty.It needs to be sold. Making their brand look bad while losing money is the only real answer.

Save the Crew had local fans who understood what was on the line. Their supporters groups backed it officially. I don't like rehashing the way it all went down in 2015 but Vallo, Goran and the RBO leaders all approached VA/GSU and ESC all at the same time. VA is a shell of itself now. ESC has good membership but attendance in 101 has fallen off a cliff and GSU got banned. This club has given absolutely nothing for loyalty.It needs to be sold. Making their brand look bad while losing money is the only real answer.

We tried to get on seeing red, wasn't any interest. At least Truman and the guys at OAM would talk about it. But they weren't on board either. We got undermined from people who still believe(d) in the drink. We are seeing the end result.

It's beyond the fault of local people running NY. It's structural from the top down.

#RedBullOut

CurbYourNewUrbanism

CurbYourNewUrbanism

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Arsenal

Save the Crew also had the power of extensive media coverage. One of two major pro sports teams in a mid-sized city. If Red Bull sold the team or even relocated to another city would it even get coverage in the press here aside from that one guy at the Post?

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
Brian Lewis covered us, Michael Lewis covered us, we got on WFUV thanks to goddam, Dyer wrote a piece. We tried. We ran into resistance from even fan supported radio and podcasts.

It strikes me as ironic that they even pulled media credentials from those folks who backed it then.

#RedBullOut

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users