512 replies to this topic

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Do you like the away goals tiebreaker though? To me I just think it's a definite advantage.

Lets say the game next weekend ends 2-1 Red Bulls, with Columbus scoring on a PK. Do you think if the overall score after 180 minutes is 2-2, Columbus is more deserving of advancing because it was 'harder' for them to score that PK goal on the road? That doesn't make any sense. Never has, never will in my view.

Make it single game elimination at the highest seed.

I've always hated away goals (it's not the 60s anymore), but still don't understand why you and others keep claiming playing at home in the first leg is such a huge advantage. Yes, it sure seems to work against us but if "bunker at home, win 1-0 and score an away goal" is such a brilliant strategy, the order of the games should not really matter. And this brilliant strategy never seems to work for us as we are often toothless away from home (in recent years, Crew, Montreal, Toronto (one Royer fluke goal not enough), Crew again; 4-0 win vs Chicago a notable outlier), but that's hardly the fault of the format. Definitely more about performance/execution and not format.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

There were just too many situations where we were missing that killer instinct in front of goal.    They have to take more shots.    Period.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

We didn't play that bad, if anything the eye test said we should have won. 

What game were you watching?

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

There were just too many situations where we were missing that killer instinct in front of goal.    They have to take more shots.    Period.   

Agreed. A small issue with Armas in the grand scheme of yesterday's loss, but given Rza won us a game with two wondershots earlier in the season, not throwing him on as a shoot-and-hope attempt was surprising/disappointing. If he wasn't fit enough for a 15-minute cameo when we're chasing a goal and Davis isn't having a great game, what was he on the bench for?

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Not reflected in the stats. Outpassed 425-312, outcompleted 302-190. 1 completed cross in the box.

Effort doesnt necessarily synch with stats, especially passing stats. I would guess Muyl puts in as much or more effort than anybody on the pitch. Id also guess he rarely has the best passing stats.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Agreed. A small issue with Armas in the grand scheme of yesterday's loss, but given Rza won us a game with two wondershots earlier in the season, not throwing him on as a shoot-and-hope attempt was surprising/disappointing. If he wasn't fit enough for a 15-minute cameo when we're chasing a goal and Davis isn't having a great game, what was he on the bench for?

Yea, Davis has been great this year, but RZA has shown more on the offensive side of the ball. Down a goal, RZA should have seen time. I get why Armas made the subs out wide, thats where the game was for the taking and Muyl & Royer hasnt done much, but he could have also made a switch in the middle.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Serious question guys. Is Etienne any good? Or is he just a whole lot of hype?.

He is good. Not great. We needed a great wing signing in the window to make this team truly indestructible. We were given...Ivan.

IMO Etienne lacks a little more experience to make the right decisions. He was of two minds on a lot of plays in this game. Couldnt decide immediately if he should take the defender 1 v 1, drive to the end line or circulate the ball. By the time he made his decision the defense had already set itself and any advantage that might have been gained was lost. Hes best when he makes quick decisions. Even if theyre the wrong ones sometimes. Only more experience will teach him how to make the right decisions quicker.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

He is good. Not great. We needed a great wing signing in the window to make this team truly indestructible. We were given...Ivan.

IMO Etienne lacks a little more experience to make the right decisions. He was of two minds on a lot of plays in this game. Couldnt decide immediately if he should take the defender 1 v 1, drive to the end line or circulate the ball. By the time he made his decision the defense had already set itself and any advantage that might have been gained was lost. Hes best when he makes quick decisions. Even if theyre the wrong ones sometimes. Only more experience will teach him how to make the right decisions quicker.

he drives us all crazy at times but he is one of the few people on this team who can take a player on 1 v 1 and cause some trouble.  Not really his fault that he's in such a prominent role right now.  He is a good fringe starter, who can still develop into a really good player.  

I keep going back and forth on who i want to start in the game.  Berhalter is a smart guy so i don't see us outsmarting him by a significant margin, we frankly just need guys to step up and play better.  Murillo needs to cross the ball in play, Royer needs to make an impact, etc. and we should be good.  We can beat anyone in this league at home by multiple goals when we are on. Columbus isn't an offensive juggernaut either.  

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Yea, Davis has been great this year, but RZA has shown more on the offensive side of the ball. Down a goal, RZA should have seen time. I get why Armas made the subs out wide, thats where the game was for the taking and Muyl & Royer hasnt done much, but he could have also made a switch in the middle.

When Royer is hot hes hot, but when hes not hes pretty much useless as a midfielder. I still think his best position might be just underneath BWP. Guy has a good sense for being in the right place at the right time and he usually does a good job of pressing defenders for 90 minutes.

Hindsight 20/20 Monday morning armchair quarterbacking blah blah blah I know, BUT it might have been worth it at half to swap Kaku and Royer positionally and brought on Rzatkowski for Muyl. Ivan didnt do squat.

Youve also got this incredible weapon in Adams that if you gamble a little on a Davis Rzatkowski central midfield at half (its Rzatkowskis best position anyway) you can then take Muyl off, slide Adams out right and get him and Murillo to terrorize that flank.

Weve got guys that can play in a few different spots and cause problems without sacrificing too much defensively. If the opponent is giving you the wings then move some pieces around to really hurt them there. At half maybe we could have gone:

BWP
Kaku-Royer-Murillo
Davis-Rzatkowski
Taxi-long-Parker-Adams
Robles

Columbus gave the wings to us and since Royer, Ivan, Taxi, Murillo, Muyl, and Etienne didnt do squat this may be a good switch to go to if they roll out a similar game plan in the second leg.

Still cant believe NONE of those guys made an impact on the offensive end. Thats a lot of performances to come up empty when away goals are so valuable.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

I want to see Chivas and Atlanta at home ENERGY at least.  

Confidence + more sharpness + Murillo making a cross + Royer getting involved + wing play from Taxi. 

I think you keep the same starting 11 but try to improve the above.

If not getting chances then put on RZA for some long shots. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Slomojones

Slomojones

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Supports:NYRB
We also have to credit a good Columbus team for making us look bad. I don't recall us ever getting behind their line, except when Steffen had to come all the way out against Royer. They sat at least Six guys behind the ball and sent 3-4 guys the other way when needed. I would like to see Adams or Davis shadow Higuain AT ALL TIMES.
This post is dedicated to all the slow defenders of the world. Godspeed! my brothers

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

What game were you watching?

The one where we entirely stifled Columbus's attack in their stadium, outside of one counter-attack of course, and were a few better crosses and a more fortunate bounce of the post away from getting multiple away goals.

The negative result sucks and in the end that's all that matters, but I don't think this was a performance to be embarrassed about. This was way closer to swinging the other direction than I think a lot of you are giving credit for.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

The one where we entirely stifled Columbus's attack in their stadium, outside of one counter-attack of course, and were a few better crosses and a more fortunate bounce of the post away from getting multiple away goals.

The negative result sucks and in the end that's all that matters, but I don't think this was a performance to be embarrassed about. This was way closer to swinging the other direction than I think a lot of you are giving credit for.

The point is, it shouldn't have been that close, with this team, in this situation, with CBus on two days rest after an exhausting overtime match.     Everyone was looking for a statement, and we got one, just the wrong one.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

It wasnt terrible, but this is the playoffs. Yes we had some good chances to score (2 free headers one of them off the post, Royer a step too short, and BWP saved), but when your good chances arent going in you need to...create more good chances. The outside players were terrible in creating good chances.

Yeah the defense was good, but hey one good play can make or break a series. Now Columbus is in the drivers seat which is obviously not where we wanted them.

We cant keep making excuses for this team patting them on the back saying good job. They always fail to get done what needs to get done in these games. Im not expecting them to change that narrative until...they change that narrative.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Effort doesnt necessarily synch with stats, especially passing stats.

Running up and down the field missing long passes does synch with poor stats. RB were hardly dangerous, against tired opposition. Attempting 3.5 passes per minute and completing 2 are indicative of a poor strategy.
I doubt that our stats in the attacking third are any better.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users