• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

I will Devil's advocate a little now that the Debbie Downers are back. 

There is no question that we lost one of our best players in Adams. And that every year that passes we have to get incrementally more worried about BWP's speed and stamina.

But...here are some things that could happen:

What if we get a full year of "1st half" Kaku?

How would you feel about Muyl if he improves his scoring touch?

Or that crowded pack than can play RW creates enough competition that someone of Muyl, Valot Etienne, Ivan, Epps steps up enough to own that position in a positive way?

What if Ivan just needed an adjustment period (not claiming future superstar, just some real contribution).

What if Rza's bigger role results in more scoring from our CMs?

Duncan stays healthy and adds defensive bite in games where that is helpful either as a starter or as a sub to protect leads?

How about White improves enough to give greater rest to BWP during the season?

Jorgensen is signed and by 2nd half is contributing as nice weapon to throw at tiring defenses as a sub.

Casseres establishes himself as a solid CM, softening the departure of Adams.

Continuity should be a real positive as well.

Not all of this will happen, but none of these are huge reaches.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Everyone loves to rip apart Muyl until he scores and has an assist in a big game.

I dont get why he gets so much hate. Hes a good player. I dont mind when he starts.

Muyl probably gets more hate than he deserves, but brushing aside people critisizing an offseason with no real first team additions as "just Muyl haters" is pretty willfully ignorant of the situation. Our top competition brought in the best player in this hemisphere. We brought in a guy dropped by Philly.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

I will Devil's advocate a little now that the Debbie Downers are back. 

There is no question that we lost one of our best players in Adams. And that every year that passes we have to get incrementally more worried about BWP's speed and stamina.

But...here are some things that could happen:

What if we get a full year of "1st half" Kaku?
How would you feel about Muyl if he improves his scoring touch?
Or that crowded pack than can play RW creates enough competition that someone of Muyl, Valot Etienne, Ivan, Epps steps up enough to own that position in a positive way?
What if Ivan just needed an adjustment period (not claiming future superstar, just some real contribution).
What if Rza's bigger role results in more scoring from our CMs?
Duncan stays healthy and adds defensive bite in games where that is helpful either as a starter or as a sub to protect leads?
How about White improves enough to give greater rest to BWP during the season?
Jorgensen is signed and by 2nd half is contributing as nice weapon to throw at tiring defenses as a sub.
Casseres establishes himself as a solid CM, softening the departure of Adams.

Continuity should be a real positive as well.

Not all of this will happen, but none of these are huge reaches.

Muyl consistently gets in good positions and works hard on both sides of the ball. His finishing is terrible, however. If he starts converting chances, people are going to rave about him. Remember how much we shit on Luyindula for not converting his chances. He ended up being one of our best players in our 2013 shield run.

Muyl is still developing. He was great the last few months of the season, and I think hell be better this year.

(Having said that, I really wish we signed a DP level wide player.)

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador

Everyone loves to rip apart Muyl until he scores and has an assist in a big game.

I dont get why he gets so much hate. Hes a good player. I dont mind when he starts.

The "hate" with Muyl is that for every good goal and assist, he has a whole bunch of missed opportunities, missed passes/crosses or missed touches that lead to nothing. There have been games where the ball just stops moving every time the ball gets to his spot. He's a great depth and bench player to have but not the starting RM/RW we are looking for.

It is disappointing that it seems they consider Valot the solution to the RM/RW problem. A player coming off a season ending injury is kind of scary. I wouldn't say it's a fail, however it is concerning knowing that we can be one injury away from having Muyl start a playoff match. Yikes.

LONG LIVE METRO

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

He's a replacement for Adams.  Adams left, and he will replace him.  And Casseres is a replacement for Rza.   I agree about the injuries,  but if you look at he roster for the playoffs, and look at the roster now, it is very arguable that we are meaningfully worse... and with Jorgensen, we may even be a little better.

This might be understating the gap between both Tyler and Rza, and Rza and Casseres. I know you're super high on Rza as a holding mid, he's replacing the best in MLS though.

I don't think we're screwed without another major addition, but better is a tough sell.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

The "hate" with Muyl is that for every good goal and assist, he has a whole bunch of missed opportunities, missed passes/crosses or missed touches that lead to nothing. There have been games where the ball just stops moving every time the ball gets to his spot. He's a great depth and bench player to have but not the starting RM/RW we are looking for.

Muyl fits @ronalgringo's Darlington Nagbe heat map:

g1zposW.png

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador

Muyl fits @ronalgringo's Darlington Nagbe heat map:

g1zposW.png

Wow pretty accurate 😂

LONG LIVE METRO

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU
I understand there's a reason Tyler is in Europe and Rza is not. Also, he's fragile, and Casseres behind him hasn't proven anything. But Rza maybe a Dax level #6, and may be better than Dax or Tyler connecting to the attack. I'm also the eternal optimist that thinks we are keeping our powder dry , and can pull the trigger on someone in the summer if it all goes to hell and we know better exactly what we need most.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Muyl consistently gets in good positions and works hard on both sides of the ball. His finishing is terrible, however. If he starts converting chances, people are going to rave about him. Remember how much we shit on Luyindula for not converting his chances. He ended up being one of our best players in our 2013 shield run.

Muyl is still developing. He was great the last few months of the season, and I think hell be better this year.

(Having said that, I really wish we signed a DP level wide player.)

I remember

Myul value is in the press and chances crated not in typical 1v1, creative passing or shooting. But then again maybe he makes a slight improvement.
Or Im hoping 1 of the 5 right wingers we have shows improvement or return to peak 2018
Also hoping DP spot is open if we need to upgrade in summer.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

I understand there's a reason Tyler is in Europe and Rza is not. Also, he's fragile, and Casseres behind him hasn't proven anything. But Rza maybe a Dax level #6, and may be better than Dax or Tyler connecting to the attack. I'm also the eternal optimist that thinks we are keeping our powder dry , and can pull the trigger on someone in the summer if it all goes to hell and we know better exactly what we need most.

rza connecting attack better is where my hope is.  we can put a little more of the defensive burden on the back four now that its their second year together.  hopefully that and improved RM play can get us where we want to go.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.
If the goal of the off-season is to make us better than we were last year, then I think we failed.

I can see the argument for not making changes to the "best team in league history"(who didn't win a cup) but we need more edge in big games, we lost Adams and BWP ain't getting younger. Time to make moves and I just don't understand what we're waiting for.

I guess we should feel like Rza was a new signing?

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Does anyone remember the 2015-16 offseason? We were flying high, coming off the Shield, lost Miazga and signed Baah -- that was it, no other major moves, even though there was a gaping hole with the Perry Nelly injury. They chose to stand pat on a good team and it all came crashing down early in the season. Thankfully, Collin was acquired on the cheap and the ship was righted.

You'd think they learn from past mistakes...

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Does anyone remember the 2015-16 offseason? We were flying high, coming off the Shield, lost Miazga and signed Baah -- that was it, no other major moves, even though there was a gaping hole with the Perry Nelly injury. They chose to stand pat on a good team and it all came crashing down early in the season. Thankfully, Collin was acquired on the cheap and the ship was righted.

You'd think they learn from past mistakes...

They probably learned "hey, if it all goes to shit, we can just sign someone in the summer and right the ship."

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

If the goal of the off-season is to make us better than we were last year, then I think we failed.

I can see the argument for not making changes to the "best team in league history"(who didn't win a cup) but we need more edge in big games, we lost Adams and BWP ain't getting younger. Time to make moves and I just don't understand what we're waiting for.

I guess we should feel like Rza was a new signing?

I can't really see that argument. MLS gets markedly better every year, so by not adding pieces in the winter, you're getting worse relative to your opposition.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

They probably learned "hey, if it all goes to shit, we can just sign someone in the summer and right the ship."

Exactly :-)
see Seattle and dc

Still want an piatti valeri level type signing

Wonder if we still return of 4triple 2 or even 3-4-2-1 that RBL used last weekend . Worth exploring this option as well

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users