104 replies to this topic

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Wasn't the location in Harrison supposed to solve this problem by way of it proximity to multiple mass transit options?

Location is better than Meadowlands in theory, but its wild that since the team moved, all of the things that were supposed to happen outside of the stadium stalled besides the apartments around it.  I am holding out hope that when they finally finish the PATH station upgrade that will allow them to have longer trains enter the station, and making the entrances bigger than one little door more people will take the PATH.  And then that in theory will free up parking situation some.  

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

No casual fans ever came to see Dax or Sacha, or refused to come because of them leaving. Pretty sure Kaku doesn't move the needle much either. The "cheap" perception might be there, but I'd say that might turn away dozens of fans, not thousands. An Henry-esque star signing would help but is not a silver bullet long-term (and there are trade-offs from a competitive/financial standpoint, obviously). 

Location/traffic issues are the big thing, imho.

Casual fans don't come to see Dax/Sacha, but personally, I think between Dax, Sacha, Henry, Petke, and now Marsch the only time RBNY generate news that the casual fan will see, its always negative stuff.  We rarely create any positive buzz for the team.  None of our transfers are ever noteworthy, besides when a friend asked me who Kaku was because we spent some coin on him. And since the team doesn't believe in ads, creating buzz is the only way to stay in the casual fan's mind so they go to a game.
BWP getting to 100 goals is good buzz, but milestones don't happen frequently enough to rely on them.   

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Outside of the euro and south/central american soccer fans, soccer just isn't popular in the USA. It's not a niche, enough people attend and watch to make it a real sport AKA in the big 5 but still, it's not popular. Not s lot of time is spent on sports shows discussing MLS. Everyone I know down here loves the Eagles, Phillies, 76ers, Flyers...but no one cares about the Union. Even people who weren't big basketball fans got into the 76ers this year in the playoffs. No one cares about the Union, they could win MLS Cup and people wouldn't care. Part of it is because we've been trained to not like soccer, part of it is the soccer just isn't that great, part of it is the medias fault for lack of coverage. I like when the games are empty though, makes my life so much easier getting in and out, grabbing a drink, etc.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Casual fans don't come to see Dax/Sacha, but personally, I think between Dax, Sacha, Henry, Petke, and now Marsch the only time RBNY generate news that the casual fan will see, its always negative stuff.  We rarely create any positive buzz for the team.  None of our transfers are ever noteworthy, besides when a friend asked me who Kaku was because we spent some coin on him. And since the team doesn't believe in ads, creating buzz is the only way to stay in the casual fan's mind so they go to a game.
BWP getting to 100 goals is good buzz, but milestones don't happen frequently enough to rely on them.   

I guess more positive news/developments wouldn't hurt, but I just think you're overrating the impact of buzz and perception on casuals attending. We are obviously not casual fans, so we tend to think about these details a lot more than someone with no rooting interest would. Out of the names/news you mentioned, Henry would definitely moved the dial for a lot of people; the others wouldn't in my opinion, not for anyone who wasn't already specifically following or at least checking out MLS to an extent. Again, stuff like this might possibly bring an extra 20/50/100 casuals, but it's not the main reason there are 10k empty seats.

As a comparison, I'll watch pretty much any sport if it's on TV, and now live on the 7 line, so I can easily go to Citi Field in half an hour but am not interested enough to have actually done it. If the Mets signed Bryce Harper, I'd probably go check him out this season. Whether the Mets lose 25-1 to the Nationals or beat them by the same score or if De Grom pitched a perfect game or someone on the team got his 3000th hit or 500th homer (arbitrary examples that I think are similar to the buzz you're citing for NYRB) would definitely have zero impact on me personally going to a Mets game in the foreseeable future.

The fireworks night did seem to have a noticeable impact on attendance at RB Arena, so maybe they should do that more often. Not every week as the novelty would wear off, but maybe 3-4 times a year, not once.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Is there still a pre-game fan fest outside RBA?
Has anyone here gone to it?
Does it attract a crowd? Repeat attendees?
Should RB consider post-game events?

I haven't gone to games early too many times this year, but once or twice I've noticed the kid-oriented events (kick a ball through the 4 corners of a goal or kicking the ball at one of four or five hockey-sized goals in a circle) always seem to have a line waiting. Probably fun for families with young kids but hardly a "if you build it, they will come" attraction for anyone who wasn't going anyway.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

kid-oriented events.

OK, then, how about some adult attractions?
Free beer! 🍻
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=6wd_6Y0wQOA

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

regulator

regulator

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

The fireworks night did seem to have a noticeable impact on attendance at RB Arena, so maybe they should do that more often. Not every week as the novelty would wear off, but maybe 3-4 times a year, not once.

There is another fireworks night at the end of this month vs DC United.  That + Rooney should hopefully approach a sold out stadium

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

There is another fireworks night at the end of this month vs DC United.  That + Rooney should hopefully approach a sold out stadium

I would say that's not likely, being that this is a Sunday night game. Hope I'm wrong. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
Well, there were fireworks tonight!
Great crowd for a hot Sunday night!
People in every section, even upstairs.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador

Well, there were fireworks tonight!
Great crowd for a hot Sunday night!
People in every section, even upstairs.

Saw that! Not sure if fireworks or if Vela coming to stadium or combination of both but looked great to see people at the arena.

LONG LIVE METRO

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

all of those factors, plus when ppl bought the 4game(?) package with the Chivas CCL game. i bet plenty selected NYCFC at home in addition to LAFC. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

all of those factors, plus when ppl bought the 4game(?) package with the Chivas CCL game. i bet plenty selected NYCFC at home in addition to LAFC. 

They also have a deal that if you buy season tickets for next year you get the rest of this year's regular season games for free so maybe some people jumped on that deal as well.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

They also have a deal that if you buy season tickets for next year you get the rest of this year's regular season games for free

A nice deal. If last night was included, that is 6 free games!

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

A nice deal. If last night was included, that is 6 free games!

Absolutely, they should be able to sell a lot of those, curious to see if it shows any difference in the stands for the next bunch of games.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

They also have a deal that if you buy season tickets for next year you get the rest of this year's regular season games for free so maybe some people jumped on that deal as well.

Devils did the same thing which is one of the reasons I signed up for a plan with them (also I enjoy watching Taylor Hall play hockey).
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users