LARS Weight Room

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#46 LuvKeane

LuvKeane

Player/Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,303 posts
  • Interests:ROY KEANE AND FOOTBALL!!! Musical theatre (Non-Sondheim!)
  • Supports:Broadway & Prawn Sandwich Brigade

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

My trainer told me once "It's all about what you eat! If you eat an apple or a big mac, youre gonna have to burn it off to actually lose weight and get fit."

I was 255 pre-NY. I came back at about 240ish... on Monday at Weight Watchers, I'm down to 215 and not stopping anytime soon!

I go to the gym about 3 times a week, ride my bike to photo class (for fun) and around Lake Balboa for "fun" and fitness.
At the gym, I do spinning, body pump and water aerobics classes. Changing things up is a great thing because even when you do a second rep, you realize how much easier it is then the first because your body adjusts.

And yes, drinking 20 beers a match and eating the shit inside of the stadium doesn't help neither.

Also, free weights is great but add the bosu ball so you also have to hold your balance and work your core and quads.
Posted Image

And I would love to have some of you stand between that rope of the left that weighs 40 lbs while I whip it....
WEST END = PRE-BROADWAY TRY-OUTS

#47 romero03

romero03

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts
  • Supports:USMNT

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for the info coach Bones! :cheers:
Twitter

Dodgers, Lakers, Raiders, Galaxy, LA Kings, ASU, Notre Dame(football)

#48 S.Bones

S.Bones

Dir. of Football Operations

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT, Foggia

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

Good stuff Coach Bones.

Made me realize how lazy I've become over the years with my pace.

Just for clarification and understanding purposes on my part, that 8:30 pace is a mile per minute?

It's 8 minutes and 30 seconds per mile. Or, 5:15 per kilometer. Or if you want to go really old skool - it's 12 minutes per stolichos - the Ancient Greek measurement.

For some perspective, the boys on my HS team do their daily runs at about 6:45 pace. Collegiate athletes run somewhere between 5:50 and 6:20 pace.

#49 stopper

stopper

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Besides soccer? Golf, Asian girls, grilling, swilling good beer, petite syrah
  • Supports:Galaxy, USA. Xolos

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

How much does it cost. It claims to be free, but it seems like one of those things that is free to start but cost money once they hook you in.

I have the same question.

Seems too straightforward. What's the catch?

#50 S.Bones

S.Bones

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT, Foggia

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:26 PM

I have the same question.

Seems too straightforward. What's the catch?

5x5 is similar to "Starting Strength" - which I've coached using a 4x4 set up.

It is straightforward. It works because:

1) You're always lifting very heavy - it's straight sets and a linear progression. Heavy lifting is very costly metabolically (burns lots of calories) and it also increases your metabolism. It also does other neat things like increase testosterone levels (!).

2) it is multi-joint/complex movement. This builds functional strength and involves the entire body in almost every exercise. The bench press is in there mostly because everyone wants to bench press - it's actually not a very helpful exercise. Exercises that isolate body parts are nearly a waste of time.

3) Lifting < 6 reps per set build strength and some mass, but not a lot, so you can get strong and lean at the same. You will gain muscle mass, but you need high rep sets to create hypertrophy, i.e. getting "swoll".

Don't spend the money. Buy Starting Strength, read their website, or use teh Google.

But, if you're on the high side of 27-28 years old, or if you're not already pretty fit, I'd really recommend the Core Performance stuff - Core Essentials is a great way to start.

And Art - Core Performance has a sport specific program for Soccer that is really, really good. It builds fitness, sport specific strength, and teaches movement patterns all at once. Accelerating, decelerating, and changing directions are all specific skills that need to be taught - athletes do not do these well intuitively. It doesn't matter what you can do with the ball if you can never get to it.

#51 andric

andric

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:30 PM

My workout is mostly dependant on my week, what do I do:

1) Crossfit 2-3x a week. This is my first ever strength training class and I've noticed some good results. I have never had much upper body strength and this has helped develop my core as well as upper body, I notice it helps in soccer.

2) Krav Maga - great stress release, 2-3x per week, great for balance & reaction time.

3) Soccer 2-3x per week, great for cardio and keeping the skills up/

4) Other - Multiple 12oz curls with decreasing weight, multiples reps typically on a Friday/Saturday night.

I will say the biggest things that have impacted my health (not that I follow them all the time):

- Gave up soda about 10 years ago. I dropped 10lbs within a month, but gained it back over the years with beer.
- Read labels. Sodium is in so many pre-packaged foods that appear to be healthy, it's terrible for you.
- Avoid fast food. Very tough to do if you are single, living alone or work late.
- Beer. I know it sucks but wine & booze are better for you in most cases. Your body processes these in a different manner, beer is just dead weight. I'm convinced that if I quit beer for six months I would lose at least 10-20lbs.
------------------------------------------------------
"Chad Barrett was totally angry when he was subbed out. I think he was angry that he was Chad Barrett." - Chalky

#52 jamesey

jamesey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,991 posts
  • Supports:LA/USA

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

Ronaldo does squats

http://www.menshealt...rld-beaters.php

Top players squat 400

...ooooh ooooooooh we are the riot squad...

#53 LuvKeane

LuvKeane

Player/Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,303 posts
  • Interests:ROY KEANE AND FOOTBALL!!! Musical theatre (Non-Sondheim!)
  • Supports:Broadway & Prawn Sandwich Brigade

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:01 AM

- Read labels. Sodium is in so many pre-packaged foods that appear to be healthy, it's terrible for you.

This point is crucial! I did a no sodium diet years ago and that sounded ridiculous but it helped (maybe because I was playing rugby too!).. but since i got used to it, I can't stand having excess salt on anything. But this is also why food manufacturers are starting to make low-sodium products.
WEST END = PRE-BROADWAY TRY-OUTS

#54 josh24601

josh24601

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,330 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, US, Greece

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:37 AM

Spot me brah.

#55 LOBO 13

LOBO 13

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Interests:Stuff
  • Supports:Creepers In Cardigans Soccer Club

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:57 AM

... it's 12 minutes per stolichos - the Ancient Greek measurement.

Rad...

For some perspective, the boys on my HS team do their daily runs at about 6:45 pace. Collegiate athletes run somewhere between 5:50 and 6:20 pace.

Perspective indeed...

If you're not creepin', you're not trying...

#56 thesign777

thesign777

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Lakers, Angels, Ducks, Sol

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

- Gave up soda about 10 years ago. I dropped 10lbs within a month, but gained it back over the years with beer.

As some others have said, avoid simple carbs as much as possible. Sugar in soda is a simple carb, white bread, pasta, etc. If you enjoy bread, pasta, etc, try to eat whole wheat at least.

I was pretty into soda my whole life too. About 8 years ago I started drinking Diet Coke. Now I like it more than regular Coke. For the last year or so I've cut way back on Diet Coke too, switching to green tea (which, besides being natural and healthier than chemical filled Diet Coke, it's also supposed to help burn fat and reduce the impact carbohydrates have on you body). I still have a DC now and then, but nowhere near the 2 cans a day I used to drink. Maybe 2 cans a week now.

- Beer. I know it sucks but wine & booze are better for you in most cases. Your body processes these in a different manner, beer is just dead weight. I'm convinced that if I quit beer for six months I would lose at least 10-20lbs.

I've seen a few posts saying "no beer, just hard liquor." I know that there are some benefits to drinking booze, but a bottle of wine or 3, 5 or 7 whiskey and cokes isn't going to be any better for you than beer.

If you're going to drink alcohol, keep it to 2 drinks per day, MAX! Alcohol slows your metabolism, no matter what form it is (hard liquor, beer, wine). So even if you're exercising vigorously every day and trying your best to eat healthy, if you're still having 2+ drinks a day it will kill your progress.

Also, I notice that when I have more than 2 drinks, I get hungrier. So then I eat more, on top of the calories from the metabolism killing booze. And my food choices are usually much naughtier after a few drinks.

Simple carbs and booze. If you're already working out, try avoiding those for a while. Also, post 8pm eating is not a good thing. If you need a snack at night, try to go with veggies or a lean protein shake.
Let's go Lakers! Let's go Angels! Let's go Ducks! Let's go Galaxy! Let's go Sol!

#57 thesign777

thesign777

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Lakers, Angels, Ducks, Sol

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

PS: Right now I'm doing P90X2. I'm really enjoying it. I'm about 7 weeks in and I can really see myself improving and getting fitter (although I was in decent shape when I started). I also like it because it has 3 different phases and most days are different, so it doesn't get boring.

On the days off (P90X2 gives you two. 3 for me because I hate the yoga day. Everyone does) I do Insanity which is maximum rep interval training. It's some crazy stuff. If the weather is nice, I'll substitute Insanity with a 5-7 mile run at about a 7:20/mile pace. And then I play in a soccer league on Sundays.

Once I'm done with P90X2, I'll probably go back to free weights 3 days a week, Insanity/run 3 days a week and soccer on Sundays.

But no matter what I'm doing for fitness, I still avoid simple carbs as much as possible, usually have 2 drinks 3 days a week MAXIMUM, and try to eat a lot of fruits and veggies. It's a lifestyle, not a diet.
Let's go Lakers! Let's go Angels! Let's go Ducks! Let's go Galaxy! Let's go Sol!

#58 prrnrngr2.0

prrnrngr2.0

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

Sometimes i'll crank the treadmill incline up to 15 and at 4mph and just do that instead of running. It burns pretty good. I love it.
Great way to conclude the session

Sounds like the AGXT test they did to me at the cardiologist. After 15 minutes my heart rate hit 192-194.
BIGGER. STRONGER. FASTER.

#59 andric

andric

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

If you're already working out, try avoiding those for a while. Also, post 8pm eating is not a good thing. If you need a snack at night, try to go with veggies or a lean protein shake.

That's what I told her!
------------------------------------------------------
"Chad Barrett was totally angry when he was subbed out. I think he was angry that he was Chad Barrett." - Chalky

#60 jamesey

jamesey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,991 posts
  • Supports:LA/USA

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

Posted Image

...ooooh ooooooooh we are the riot squad...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users