• This topic is locked This topic is locked
430 replies to this topic

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Right.  All proven to be exactly that.  Thanks for bumping this thread, so I can look back in amusement at O-sack's wrongness compounded by his arrogant douchebaggery... all good kids, but where are they all now?

Haven't seen anyone talk about how we are not reliant on one of our young players needing to break out for us to succeed. That is great news as we have a more promising crop in the reserves than the likes of Chinn and Garcia.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Thanks, but no thanks.  I was one of the people who thought this trade was the worst of 2011, if not one of the worst ever.  In 2011 I was still correct.  In 2013, I'm dead wrong.  Erik Soler... you don't get enough credit!

In Erik "Money" Soler we trust. soler3.jpg

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

32panels

32panels

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

Man, how good the DeRo-Dax trade looks for us in hindsight and how bad it looked at the time.  What an incredible turnaround.

I wouldn't take DeRo back, he's kind of done at 35.  We need to keep looking forward at younger players (than 35) and not stir the pot too much on a locker room atmosphere that appears to be working.

Nidal Baba Superstar

Nidal Baba Superstar

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

There's no way to say this without sounding like a dick, but: it was pretty obvious at the time - I think even to some of the people who didn't like the trade - that McCarty would turn out to be the better deal in the long term.

McCarty: Young American with a lot of MLS experience, good enough to be a serious performer in this league but not quite good enough to disappear to Europe. I.e., exactly the sort of guy that successful MLS teams obtain and hold on to.

De Rosario: Aging MLS star with ever-increasing contract demands and ever-decreasing mobility. I.e., exactly the sort of guy that failing MLS teams think can magically save them.

I didn't have a big problem with us acquiring DeRo in the first place...but I was happy when we moved him. 

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • Supports:Bora Bora Metro
I think DC is pretty OK with the trade on their end-- DeRo saved their 2011 season and won the MVP when they first picked him up, and as bad as they were this year, he pretty much single-handedly won the Open Cup for them. No, they don't have an asset at the end of the deal, but that's not terrible production for a pretty shitty team.

I'm of the mind that this was a bad short term and a great long term deal for us, and for them it was a great short term and a bad long term deal. Considering the "win now" mentality that we have been conditioned to have, it's no surprise -- or anything to fault-- that the immediate reaction was largely negative. What saved this deal is that the thinking of our FO has become more long term-- in the past, we would have shipped Dax off for picks or a player in either of the last two off-seasons and would have had jack shit to show for the deal.

So the "I told you so"s and gotchas from this thread resurrection are pretty much worth nothing.
╔╦╗┌─┐┌┬┐┬─┐┌─┐  ╔═╗┌─┐┬─┐┌─┐┬  ┬┌─┐┬─┐
║║║├┤  │ ├┬┘│ │  ╠╣ │ │├┬┘├┤ └┐┌┘├┤ ├┬┘
╩ ╩└─┘ ┴ ┴└─└─┘  ╚  └─┘┴└─└─┘ └┘ └─┘┴└─

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

I didn't have a big problem with us acquiring DeRo in the first place...but I was happy when we moved him. 

He aged that much in two months??? LOL

legends119

legends119

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls,Everton

There's no way to say this without sounding like a dick, but: it was pretty obvious at the time - I think even to some of the people who didn't like the trade - that McCarty would turn out to be the better deal in the long term.

McCarty: Young American with a lot of MLS experience, good enough to be a serious performer in this league but not quite good enough to disappear to Europe. I.e., exactly the sort of guy that successful MLS teams obtain and hold on to.

De Rosario: Aging MLS star with ever-increasing contract demands and ever-decreasing mobility. I.e., exactly the sort of guy that failing MLS teams think can magically save them.

i think people had a proble with what we gave up for de rosario  and then we flipped him and just got dax in return.  thats what people had issues with.  i dont think people had issues with dax.  its just AT the  time we gave up  what seemed like a lot.

Jeremy Thunder

Jeremy Thunder

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Supports:Metro

In hindsight I'd've given up Tchani, Borman and DeRo to DC for the Dax we ended up with

__    __   ______Spirit_of_96 __ __     _____    
 /_/\  /\_\ /\_____\/\_______)\/_/\__/\  ) ___ (   
 ) ) \/ ( (( (_____/\(___  __\/) ) ) ) )/ /\_/\ \  
/_/ \  / \_\\ \__\    / / /   /_/ /_/_// /_/ (_\ \ 
\ \ \\// / // /__/_  ( ( (    \ \ \ \ \\ \ )_/ / / 
 )_) )( (_(( (_____\  \ \ \    )_) ) \ \\ \/_\/ /  
 \_\/  \/_/ \/_____/  /_/_/    \_\/ \_\/ )_____(   
                   Red Bull Out                                 

legends119

legends119

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls,Everton

well no we would have at the time we were like ehhhhh lol.

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

At the time, Dax had been seen as a very unpolished and unfinished player in MLS.  Everyone knew he had a lot of potential, but he didn't really produce much at his previous teams.  I think few people realized what a fantastic defensive midfielder he would turn out to be, because everyone kept trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole.

32panels

32panels

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

At the time, Dax had been seen as a very unpolished and unfinished player in MLS.  Everyone knew he had a lot of potential, but he didn't really produce much at his previous teams.  I think few people realized what a fantastic defensive midfielder he would turn out to be, because everyone kept trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole.

I think he was very good in Dallas, just had a problem when Hyndman came on as coach.  DC tried to fit him into an attacking mid role, which wasn't him, but up until then he was also very good at taking free kicks so he seemed like a possible attacking mid.

DC was just bad for him.  Otherwise, he's been one of the US' top young prospects for a long time, probably going back to 2005 or 2007.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users