31 replies to this topic

cBr

cBr

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts

http://www.espnfc.co...994982/headline

"That said, you look at the success of teams in this league like Kansas City or Real Salt Lake, their top players were lower-profile guys. We need to go scouring South America for that 22-23-year-old who has the ability and wants to make a name for himself, pay him in that $800,000 to $2 million range and build a team around that."-Petke

------

as a hardcore its hard to argue against this philosophy .  Most of these playmaking south americans brought in the past couple years on the lower end of the DP contract spectrum have done real well.  Morales in Vancouver, Higuian, Morales of RSL of course, Valeri , Diaz from Dallas etc....

in that one sentence Petke is basically telling us the budget range the team has for DP's now.  Roxy echo'd something similar last month but didnt shoot out figures.

Build me a 5 man modern era midfield with BWP up top consisting of 3 highly skilled  south americans to complement  Sam and Dax

(*obviously these s. americans mentioned below are taken, just using them as an example of what can be built if we're smart, by Morales i mean the white caps morales, although the RSL one is pretty damn good too) 

----------bwp----

--------*higuian--

---*valeri----*Morales-----sam--

----------dax-----

oyongo--upgrade-olave--duval-

---------robles-----

although this team doesnt sound sexy famous names wise, it would be technical as fuck  and will dazzle while winning

5 year plan

MetroPolishFirm

MetroPolishFirm

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • Supports:METRO, RAKÓW Częstochowa
I have feeling that Dax will be left unprotected in a extension draft , then taken by Orlando .

Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:My master's bidding
  • Supports:Sauron

I have feeling that Dax will be left unprotected in a extension draft , then taken by Orlando .

one hopes that we would at least be smart enough to trade him

we're not, which is why one hopes

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Losing Dax in extension draft still beats that red card by Rafa...

Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

That's fine that they no longer want to spend $4 million on DPs. $2 million DPs are cool.

Hell, no DPs and a team full of $250,000 - $300,000 players would probably be awesome if the cap increases like it's supposed to do. I'm no star fucker. I don't need big names.

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

UpstateFan

UpstateFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

It's tough to hear, but i think the statements are realistic. The club has to stop whaling and get better at fishing. The attraction of being the NY club is now cut because NYCFC is now present and has deeper pockets. If our goal is to produce a winning team, the path forward has to be about growing sustainable quality talent and proper management, rather than using the lure of NY to draw big names. The question will be after having Henry for so many years, if the public will be willing to buy tickets to watch a team with less name recognition. Ideally we could maybe could attract ,rather than export, some key USMNT players. I like how a lot of the nats are coming back to MLS AND that they're spreading around to a number of teams.

Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

if the public will be willing to buy tickets to watch a team with less name recognition.

The public will show up if we win. This area likes winners.

People think we need star players. We're used to stars. They're no big deal. If you see a celebrity on the street, you don't flip out like some country bumpkin. We make stars. Ask any Knicks fan if they would rather have Melo or a championship. 

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

The public will show up if we win. This area likes winners.

I don' think that is true in our case.  Outside of the SS run at the very end of last year, our attendance hasn't exactly mirrored our results.  In fact, it's been pretty flat.

We've also never sold out a playoff game at RBA

Year---Reg---Playoff

2010 18,441 22,839

2011 19,691 22,663

2012 18,281 14,035

2013 19,460 22,264

#RedBullOut

Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

I don' think that is true in our case.  Outside of the SS run at the very end of last year, our attendance hasn't exactly mirrored our results.  In fact, it's been pretty flat.

We've also never sold out a playoff game at RBA

2010 18,441 22,839 2011 19,691 22,663 2012 18,281 14,035 2013 19,460 22,264

When's the last time we've won a home playoff game? More than 6 years... We have to convince people we're for real.

The momentum was there last year. We squandered it.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

stars are nice for a game or two but bring me results.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

Stars get called up for national teams, testimonial matches, charity matches, etc. Stars don't play on turf. Stars don't play in the USOC. And since they are virtually unknown to the general public in the US, they don't help selling the drink or increasing attendance.

ukraine76

ukraine76

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

When's the last time we've won a home playoff game? More than 6 years... We have to convince people we're for real.

The momentum was there last year. We squandered it.

Winning will bring significantly more fans only if it's very consistent over several years. It's virtually impossible to do in MLS. Just think about all the marginal fans we bring to games. Are they more likely to go if Xavi is playing and we are in 10th place or a team of nobodies (to them) and we are in 2nd place?

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

If the cap goes up a ton, the best way to improve a roster is to boost the number of Lloyd Sam, Jamison Olave and Bradley Wright-Phillips level players. So if we can run 3-4 1-2 million DPs mixed in with a well balanced roster, he is right, they can be successful. It just means we won't have the name star power of NYCFC.

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Don't care if they no longer want to spend 4+ million on the likes of Rafa.

JPA was not as expensive as a lot of DP's and he was great.

However if they find in a situation like we did with getting Henry then the money must be spent.

As long as we don't turn into a team who show no initiative in signing players like some MLS teams then we can still win even without spending like TFC did this past off season. 

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

I am ok with them not spending as much if they spend it wisely, just, right now they aren't spending anything. Had an open DP slot last year and didn't fill it in the summer window due to cap constraints. Didn't fill it in January due to cap constraints, and didn't fill it in this summer window. 

So, if they are going to tell me that they can build a better team over the long haul with Valeri instead of Villa- ok. I'll give you the chance to make that case. But, they haven't spent any money on new DP signings in a while.

Now, you can argue that BWP was a low-level-esque DP signing, and he's leading the league in goals. Can't hate on that. But, it's been clear for a year that our team is out-of-balance and needs to figure itself out because the lineup isn't a winning one. I'm not saying that as an opinion, I'm saying that because we've won 6 games from 23.

Spending less to build RSL-east is ok. Not spending is scary. Maybe they are just waiting for the new 2015 cap number to know what their real options are. I get that, but, they are throwing away the 2014 season here. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users