403 replies to this topic

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY
Luke wasn't specifically the problem here, it was possession in the middle of the field. Because we dropped into the 5-3-2 wingback formation (that is what it was) we didn't have much of an outlet in the middle of the field to start the move up the field (usually Tainio at bottom of diamond or as holder in a 4-1-3-2) instead, Tainio was too far up field to compensate, and Richard's wasn't able to play wide enough either.

This forced us to move the ball only up the sides of the field via Solli and Miller. This made us one dimensional in play and clearly both of those players were still off a little bit on their touches as a product of this being the preseason.

Having attacking outside backs is nice, but it cannot become the entirety of your offense. Most of our good chances this game came from getting Titi the ball.
"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Seemed like Backe was more concerned with making his guys play 90 minutes again just to have them remember what 90 minutes feels like.

Meara stood out as composed with decent distribution. I think some of the players simply were rusty.

One player who underwhelmed me was Holgersson. Didn't impress me in anyway last night.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Seemed like Backe was more concerned with making his guys play 90 minutes again just to have them remember what 90 minutes feels like.

Meara stood out as composed with decent distribution. I think some of the players simply were rusty.

One player who underwhelmed me was Holgersson. Didn't impress me in anyway last night.

His aimless kicking of the ball forward to no one in particular reminded me of:

Posted Image

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Posted Image

Please introduce that man appropriately.

You mean former USL Defender of the year and Puerto Rican National Team player........Taylor Graham.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos

Posted Image

He had an impressive pass completion percentage to Carlos Ruiz.
RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

Calcio20

Calcio20

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars FC Juve USMNT

:cheers:

Elder Statesman

Elder Statesman

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Supports:Metros
Not bad 0-0 draw against Pumas. I don't like Lindpere and Cooper on the same side they're both slow. I would rather move Lindpere to the middle and get a DP winger on the the left.

Question for the complaining about the result: when has an MLS team ever had more possession against a Mexican team?

DHatch

DHatch

Site Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,283 posts
  • Supports:Mighty Metros
You guys are all missing the bright side here: No Ballouchy sightings.......unless you count the shot of him on the bench. ;-)

metros11

metros11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts

He pressures no more or less than most guys. I mean he is no Woly when it comes to defensive pressure at the forward psoition. I would say of all our forwards Hertzog is probably the best and most consistant in applying pressure up top.

Luke is very good at tranitioning into an attacking run opn a turnover and getting into good space. Which I think is what Metros11 was getting at. Those type of opportunities seemed limited yesterday.

He's got a point though, Luke does hustle and he does apply the pressure needed. May not be the most effective at it, but is certainly the most willing to work.

Did you read his post? He literally said "He's good for one thing, getting on the end of chances." What kind of response do you expect to that? Sorry I don't know the guy well enough to put words in his mouth like you did in your other post.

Okay, let me revise. Luke is good at three things: pressuring, finding open space, and getting on the end of the ball. Can we at least agree that when it comes to things like speed, control, and passing he's far less than average? I mean, there's a good reason he hasn't played above the 3rd level in England.

Please introduce that man appropriately.

You mean former USL Defender of the year and Puerto Rican National Team player........Taylor Graham.

Boricuas must be proud.

"What better way for DC United fans to drown their sorrows than with this new beer called 'The Tradition'.  A relic name of a bygone era where DCU was relevant." - VfLKirwan

Rooney22

Rooney22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Fucking Metro

Okay, let me revise. Luke is good at three things: pressuring, finding open space, and getting on the end of the ball. Can we at least agree that when it comes to things like speed, control, and passing he's far less than average? I mean, there's a good reason he hasn't played above the 3rd level in England.

Because Hes short, hes white, He loves to fuckin fight, hes Luke Rodgers!

metros11

metros11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts

Because Hes short, hes white, He loves to fuckin fight, hes Luke Rodgers!

Joey Barton.

"What better way for DC United fans to drown their sorrows than with this new beer called 'The Tradition'.  A relic name of a bygone era where DCU was relevant." - VfLKirwan

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts

Joey Barton.

When we fist signed Rodgers I reached out to folks on boards in England to get feedback. He was a love him or hate him kind of guy. Many felt he was just a bit past his prime when he came here.

Just about everyone agreed that he should have gotten a shot at the Premirship but folks didn't know if he would have made it or not. They said that his lack of height really hurt him. He also was always in trouble and was known as a loose cannon.

Joey Barton has the talent to skipper a Premirship side, Luke doesn't.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I think that was the first and only time I had a Fina moment at Giants Stadium. IIRC it was a May game in 2007. Absolute, fucking disaster.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos

I think that was the first and only time I had a Fina moment at Giants Stadium. IIRC it was a May game in 2007. Absolute, fucking disaster.

Naw that was 2006, right before the World Cup. Double header with a send off game between Colombia and Ecuador. Ole' Taylor passed it right to Ruiz and single handily allowed Ruiz to beat him like a mule and we lost the game.

http://metrofanatic....ory.jsp?ID=3602

Posted Image
RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

gaspard

gaspard

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Supports:Metros

Luke wasn't specifically the problem here, it was possession in the middle of the field. Because we dropped into the 5-3-2 wingback formation (that is what it was) we didn't have much of an outlet in the middle of the field to start the move up the field (usually Tainio at bottom of diamond or as holder in a 4-1-3-2) instead, Tainio was too far up field to compensate, and Richard's wasn't able to play wide enough either.

This forced us to move the ball only up the sides of the field via Solli and Miller. This made us one dimensional in play and clearly both of those players were still off a little bit on their touches as a product of this being the preseason.

Having attacking outside backs is nice, but it cannot become the entirety of your offense. Most of our good chances this game came from getting Titi the ball.

Henry was playing pretty deep though, by necessity if not design. I'd feel better about the season if we had an proven attacking mid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users