Was the return of MLS a good experience?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Did you watch the return of MLS (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Was the first game a good experience

1. Yes (14 votes [46.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.67%

2. No (11 votes [36.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.67%

3. It would have better with small group of fans to generate excitement (5 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

blank25

blank25

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Supports:red bulls

In general the answer is yes. I don't see any reason that small groups from team supporters like our Viking Army or  the Timber Army  could not been allowed at game. Another point is why is our team being shown on FS2 instead of FS1 or ESPN?  The audience on that channel is much smaller and impact of live soccer will be limited.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
It will be 84 degrees with 72 percent humidity both at 9 AM and 8 PM. At least the players are training for it. They were drenched in no time last night.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

UpstateFan

UpstateFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

More No than Yes for me personally. It still feels like watching a spring training game. Happy to watch anything, but the whole thing feels silly and contrived.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

In general the answer is yes. I don't see any reason that small groups from team supporters like our Viking Army or  the Timber Army  could not been allowed at game. Another point is why is our team being shown on FS2 instead of FS1 or ESPN?  The audience on that channel is much smaller and impact of live soccer will be limited.

Yes

camera angles a little different but got to see game in different aspect.

I do like hearing the players but wish they had a TV option for fake crowd noise.   Crowd noise makes it better but of course REAL FANS AND NOISE ARE THE BEST.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

I don't see any reason that small groups from team supporters like our Viking Army or  the Timber Army  could not been allowed at game. 

Having groups of supporters from 24 different clubs fly into Florida, of all places, then fly back to their respective home cities is probably not the best idea right now. 

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,437 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

In general the answer is yes. I don't see any reason that small groups from team supporters like our Viking Army or  the Timber Army  could not been allowed at game.

Legal liability. Reducing the # of ways for the virus to enter "the bubble". 

Another point is why is our team being shown on FS2 instead of FS1 or ESPN?  The audience on that channel is much smaller and impact of live soccer will be limited.

Our first game vs Atlanta is on FOX broadcast, which has wider distribution than ESPN.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
I would say it was average to mediocre.

As Metrohoboken said, there should be an option for fake crowd noise. Or they should have it to begin with. The fake noise is weird without seeing fans, but if I had to choose between that or nothing at all like it is now, I'd opt for the fake noise. Not having it, combined with the setting of these games, gives them an unshakeable smalltime spring training-type feel.

The ads are too much and the fan wall thing they have going on right now in the NYCFC-Philly broadcast is just awkward. Maybe they could have done fan polling during each game with viewers predicting things like who will score next, who has been the top player on each team in their minds so far, etc., with the results displayed on the video boards as the game progresses. That to me would be more interesting and fun than seeing some random guy in a Union jersey staring into a webcam and clutching the badge or reacting to something in the game on a tape delay.

Lastly I would also dial back a bit the BLM messaging from the broadcast and the players. I support the message, but if every game players are going to kneel at kickoff/wear shirts and the commentators are going to lecture the audience about it...I'm not sure in the long run how that improves the quality of the event or gets non-supporters onboard if they are putting it in their face constantly. Everyone's mental health is suffering because of the coronavirus and how it's changed all of our lives. Everyone is aware of the BLM movement because of the protests and we are about to enter a nasty election season with two terrible candidates. I think most people would prefer to have the broadcasts solely about the sporting competition, not current events and all the negativity going on right now.

Sports are an escape for many and although players should be allowed to speak their minds, the BLM messaging coming from MLS is starting to feel forced and inauthentic. The movement also is strong enough where it doesnt feel necessary for MLS be talking about it three broadcasts/games a day over the next few weeks.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,437 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

As Metrohoboken said, there should be an option for fake crowd noise. Or they should have it to begin with. The fake noise is weird without seeing fans, but if I had to choose between that or nothing at all like it is now, I'd opt for the fake noise. Not having it, combined with the setting of these games, gives them an unshakeable smalltime spring training-type feel.

The ads are too much and the fan wall thing they have going on right now in the NYCFC-Philly broadcast is just awkward. Maybe they could have done fan polling during each game with viewers predicting things like who will score next, who has been the top player on each team in their minds so far, etc., with the results displayed on the video boards as the game progresses. That to me would be more interesting and fun than seeing some random guy in a Union jersey staring into a webcam and clutching the badge or reacting to something in the game on a tape delay.

Lastly I would also dial back a bit the BLM messaging from the broadcast and the players. I support the message, but if every game players are going to kneel at kickoff/wear shirts and the commentators are going to lecture the audience about it...I'm not sure in the long run how that improves the quality of the event or gets non-supporters onboard if they are putting it in their face constantly. Everyone's mental health is suffering because of the coronavirus and how it's changed all of our lives. Everyone is aware of the BLM movement because of the protests and we are about to enter a nasty election season with two terrible candidates. I think most people would prefer to have the broadcasts solely about the sporting competition, not current events and all the negativity going on right now.

Sports are an escape for many and although players should be allowed to speak their minds, the BLM messaging coming from MLS is starting to feel forced and inauthentic. The movement also is strong enough where it doesnt feel necessary for MLS be talking about it three broadcasts/games a day over the next few weeks.

"i don't agree with messages of racial equality because it makes me uncomfortable"

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

"i don't agree with messages of racial equality because it makes me uncomfortable"

Absolutely not what I wrote. Did you even read my post?

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Whats worse average or mediocre?

Lastly I would also dial back a bit the BLM messaging from the broadcast and the players. I support the message, but if every game players are going to kneel at kickoff/wear shirts and the commentators are going to lecture the audience about it...I'm not sure in the long run how that improves the quality of the event or gets non-supporters onboard if they are putting it in their face constantly.

Its not supposed to improve the quality of the event. Its suppose to raise awareness.

Also, I dont think theres a large group of people out there that would support BLM, but arent because the broadcast takes 5 minutes before a game starts and highlights and discusses the players taking a knee.

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Bolton, Swansea

The league's support for BLM does ring a little hollow when they allow CFG to own a team . . . 

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYR, NYJ
I answered no, but Im a lot more enthusiastic after seeing NYC get shutout

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

The league's support for BLM does ring a little hollow when they allow CFG to own a team . . . 

Agree on this.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Whats worse average or mediocre?

Its not supposed to improve the quality of the event. Its suppose to raise awareness.

Also, I dont think theres a large group of people out there that would support BLM, but arent because the broadcast takes 5 minutes before a game starts and highlights and discusses the players taking a knee.

I think people who support it won't mind no matter what.

It's just people that are undecided/lukewarm...if MLS plans to talk and display BLM messaging every game for the next few weeks, at what point does it become a turn off for some (and in effect hurt rather than help the cause?)

Social media for example is just filled with people posting BLM content non-stop since May 25. Is MLS trying to become another platform for this?

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

I think people who support it won't mind no matter what.

It's just people that are undecided/lukewarm...if MLS plans to talk and display BLM messaging every game for the next few weeks, at what point does it become a turn off for some (and in effect hurt rather than help the cause?)

Social media for example is just filled with people posting BLM content non-stop since May 25. Is MLS trying to become another platform for this?

Ok, so there's some asshole guy out there that is on the fence and instead of looking at the facts and making a decision, he's going to not support BLM because the lead up to kickoff had 5 minutes BLM content.  OK...  I just don't think that guy would ever support BLM and is looking for an excuse to not sound racist.  If you know this guy, let him know not supporting BLM because it's all over MLS coverage is NOT a legitimate reason.

Seems like a small price to pay if the players want to continue to support BLM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users