94 replies to this topic

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

A guy making $30 million is a whole lot less galling when you realize his employer and his partners made something like $8 billion last year, and the alternative is them keeping a whole lot more of that $8 billion.

Regardless, Lawrence deserves a healthy raise, and I hope he gets one before someone can sign him on a pre-contract.

Unfortunately, the cost is off-set to the middle class folks like us. Soccer is cheap, you can easily spend the price of a season ticket in the SW to go to one NFL game. I hear in Europe soccer is dirt cheap too despite the big paydays, not sure how it all works though. At some point MLS needs to not sell every half decent talent, but at some point those guys have to want to stay too.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
If I were running the team I'd sell him right now. Do I WANT to? Absolutely not. No way. But in this league when a player's value is sky high, and he's going to be looking for a big payday in his next contract AND he doesn't play up the spine...it sucks, it really really really sucks but they have to sell him and they have to sell him while his stock is sky high.

And all that aside I'm sure Kemar is looking for the largest salary possible anyway. Won't happen here.

Matt was younger with huge national team upside at a more valued position. If we could get half of that we take it.

$2.5 mil.

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO

If we sell doesn't the league get most of the money anyway since they own his contract? How much does a team even have a say if an euro club offers big money for a player.

If he wants to stay why sell him and get more funny money we don't seem to be using even now. Few players received raises recently and that's great to see but those players weren't going anywhere anyway (BWP, Sacha, Felipe) so why not do the same for Taxi. We have so many young academy products playing for dirt cheap already..

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Don't sell, pay the man.

curious what do you think he is worth as top 3 LB in the league?
Lawrence gets 100K Base but 205K Comp?  Big range - not sure what drives that.
Afful gets ~ 275K and Beitashour ~$250.  Baah is in that range.
So his top end is within distance of Afful and Beitashour.  

also, replacment cost?  
Right now you could say nothing as Myul and Lade could amply step in - granted not to his level but I would be ok with them starting multiple games. 
Always tough to find LB - do we have any prospect for his role ?Noah Powder but I think he is a right back

By the way is Aaron Long the best bargain going?  65K and has played in/started every game - dang.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

We aren't getting $2-$3M for Lawrence. Chicago was fielding $3M for Accam, a 26 year old striker who has excelled for three straight seasons. This is Lawrence's first breakout season as a left fullback.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

If we sell doesn't the league get most of the money anyway since they own his contract? How much does a team even have a say if an euro club offers big money for a player.

If he wants to stay why sell him and get more funny money we don't seem to be using even now. Few players received raises recently and that's great to see but those players weren't going anywhere anyway (BWP, Sacha, Felipe) so why not do the same for Taxi. We have so many young academy products playing for dirt cheap already..

The majority of the money still goes to the team, but there is a $650k cap on the GAM a team can earn from a transfer.  But you can use the money past cap to pay for DPs.  I don't see Kemar going for much more than $1 million, so we would basically get the full $650k of GAM and a little bit of other money to use for stuff.

With Lade, Muyl and Powder in pipeline I don't think Kemar should get DP money or anything, but I would offer him ~$450k and see if that makes happy enough.  At the moment I dont think we should use a DP spot on him not because he isnt good enough, but we have decent wingback coverage and couple use that GAM to get even more.  But i wouldn't sell him this window, because I dont think the team is prepared right now with a replacement.  

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid
He's definitely underpaid and deserves a new MLS contract, at probably double the money he gets now. And if a Euro team does want him, he's a goner as we can't and shouldn't match what he'd get there.

Would obviously like to keep him until season's end, and then we get a couple of million for him. Selling now would be disappointing.

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats
Joevin Jones just signed a pre-contract with Darmstadt.

rzrhtr

rzrhtr

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

We aren't getting $2-$3M for Lawrence. Chicago was fielding $3M for Accam, a 26 year old striker who has excelled for three straight seasons. This is Lawrence's first breakout season as a left fullback.

Lawrence-to-Europe rumors first surfaced in 2015. I can't vouch for the veracity of those rumors, but they were out there.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Lawrence-to-Europe rumors first surfaced in 2015. I can't vouch for the veracity of those rumors, but they were out there.

Last season probably hurt that big time though.  He had some real glaring mistakes early on.  

Obviously the guy's a stud.  Hopefully Europe isn't calling for him.  If that's the case, then just give him a raise.  

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Supports:Redbulls
Jeeze why can't we just keep our talent? The dude is a proven commodity. Pay the money and have him retire as a Redbull.

If we expand his role he can be a poor man's Marcelo.

To compete in champions league we need world class talent.

If we need money to pay salary play some friendlies in Montego bay!

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

Jeeze why can't we just keep our talent? The dude is a proven commodity. Pay the money and have him retire as a Redbull.

If we expand his role he can be a poor man's Marcelo.

To compete in champions league we need world class talent.

If we need money to pay salary play some friendlies in Montego bay!

MLS is not an end point for highly talented players.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

If I'm running an MLS team, I'm almost never selling.  Lawrence would fetch at most $2 million (IMO), and I think the team itself would only get maybe half of that.  With the money behind every ownership group in the league, $1 million isn't really worth it; they can take that financial loss if it gives them a better chance of competing.

It's the same thought process behind Seattle holding on to Joevin Jones this season.  Sure, they could have sold him in January, but then they'd be way weaker in defense and would have crippled their title defense without ever setting foot on the field.  Now, they'll lose him for free in January 2018, but that's a worthwhile sacrifice.

The calculus changes when you start getting sale prices up into the Miazga - Jozy range, especially for a HGP like Miazga, because clubs take home more of that transfer fee.  Until you're approaching a $5 million sale though, it doesn't seem worth it to let talented players go.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I thought the positive to selling wasn't so much the actual money, but the chunk of allocation you get.  That's what makes it worth it.  You are basically operating with a higher cap than other teams and that's a tremendous advantage.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

I thought the positive to selling wasn't so much the actual money, but the chunk of allocation you get.  That's what makes it worth it.  You are basically operating with a higher cap than other teams and that's a tremendous advantage.

Sure, but there are so many ways to get there and, IIRC, the amount of allocation money you can get from one transaction is pretty limited.  Something like $650,000.  To replace a player who's selling for $2 million or something close is going to eat up all of that allocation anyway, so what's the point in selling?

Relevant to this sort of discussion: New England turned down a $1 million transfer offer for Lee Nguyen from an Israeli club.

https://twitter.com/...414792782278657

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users