Agreed. Tollhouselikin' is my dude. 

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

He plays safe, which is understandable for a young player.

When they play with wingbacks and have 3 CBs covering behind they may want someone who is going to take a few more risks and be involved in the attack.

sometimes i wonder if it is because he is "playing safe" by getting the offensive midfielders more involved or he doesn't believe that the guys in the box can do anything with the ball. 

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT

just once Can you spell Tolkin correctly

My phone autocorrects to Tolkien, as I'm a big fan of the writer, and type his name more and I'm too lazy to change it.

We all know who I'm talking about given the context.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
https://southpark.fa...i/Tolkien_Black

'Tolkien Black, formerly known as Token Black, is a male fourth grader at South Park Elementary and is voiced by Adrien Beard. His name is a play on words referring to the politically-correct idea of the "token black guy" commonly featured on American television shows; it is revealed in "The Big Fix" that his name is actually Tolkien.'

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

My phone autocorrects to Tolkien

So does mine, and I never type that name.
I manually correct it, though.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
We just need a token to have the ball go from the left side of the field to the box.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Back on 4/20, some ppl were Tokin' on the way to the USOC game. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Years later we will learn that John Tolkin was actually Tolkin John. Somewhere, Peguero Jean Philippe (who still goes by Jean Philippe Peguero, but has removed the hyphen) will smile.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Tolkin was always a lock to make this feature but I'm more curious about whether you guys agree with Doyle and Bogert's assessment of him. They have him towards the bottom of "Tier 2", about ~10th on the overall list

https://www.mlssocce...rmor-candidates

MD: Once again, I think there are two sub-tiers here. The first six guys in this group could, potentially, blow up to the point they actually top the list. It’s not precisely likely for any of them, but it’s an outcome that’s somewhere out there in play.

I don’t think that’s the case for the last two guys in this tier, Tolkin and Flach, since the upside isn’t quite there. But what is, is on-field proof of their quality. Tolkin and Flach are already proven, week-in week-out starters for two of the better (or in Flach’s case, one of the very best) teams in MLS. So even though neither has the type of ceiling that makes fans drool, both have the type of floor that makes good coaches put them on the team sheet every single week.

TB: In my evolution in voting on these, I’ve come to value on-field proof of quality more than the elusive, seductive notion of “potential.” If Tolkin and Flach don’t get better from here on out (which, to be clear, they will get better) they'll have 15-year careers in MLS. That’s the floor!

This is pretty much right where I have Tolkin right now. Basically on the trajectory to be the next Sean Davis, maybe a little better. Someone who is constantly one of the better players at his position in MLS, never quite an all-star, maybe garners some lower division Euro interest every now and then that never comes to fruition. But if his career is going to take a major swing, its much more likely to be in the Euro direction and not the MLS bench direction.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
I see tolkin as a national team player and will be in europe soon. Besides robinson, we dont have another option at LB. The guys who played when robinson was not available have not impressed. Some will say that dest could be the back up but he is way more effective as a RB. As tolkin gets older and better offensively, I think he will own that starting position for the USA world cup. The advantage that he has over Robinson is that he is a more technical superior player. However, that part of his game is not yet strong enough to replace him since Robinson is a beast athletically.

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

I see tolkin as a national team player and will be in europe soon. Besides robinson, we dont have another option at LB. The guys who played when robinson was not available have not impressed. Some will say that dest could be the back up but he is way more effective as a RB. As tolkin gets older and better offensively, I think he will own that starting position for the USA world cup. The advantage that he has over Robinson is that he is a more technical superior player. However, that part of his game is not yet strong enough to replace him since Robinson is a beast athletically.

I think you're writing off Bello and Vines a little too easily.  Tolkin may surpass them someday, but you can't say that he's better than them already.  We've never seen Tolkin play at any level higher than MLS.  He doesn't get called up for the U20s, is he too old?

Tolkin's got a ton of potential and I could see him in the national team picture at some point.  He's in a great situation right now, where he gets 90 minutes every week and plays with some pretty good defenders next to him and a good keeper behind him.  

Since Dest, Scally and even Richards can all play LB, Berhalter may not take a true LB to Qatar other than Robinson.  After Qatar, we'll see what happens.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Still early for tolkin, also age eligible for 2024 Summer Olympics. He should be involved for that if the U20s qualify. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

I think you're writing off Bello and Vines a little too easily.  Tolkin may surpass them someday, but you can't say that he's better than them already.  We've never seen Tolkin play at any level higher than MLS.  He doesn't get called up for the U20s, is he too old?

Tolkin's got a ton of potential and I could see him in the national team picture at some point.  He's in a great situation right now, where he gets 90 minutes every week and plays with some pretty good defenders next to him and a good keeper behind him.  

Since Dest, Scally and even Richards can all play LB, Berhalter may not take a true LB to Qatar other than Robinson.  After Qatar, we'll see what happens.

I dont see what bello or vines add to the usmnt. They played a few games and I didnt see them defend well or add anything offensively against concacaf opponents. It was nothing terrible but I don't think their performances cemented their job as a back up.

I havent written them off completely but I would like to see what tolkin and gutman can add to that LB position against international opponents. I think quality wise they are at the same tier but i think tolkin and gutman can elevate their quality against better opponents.

At minimum, a look during the summer window.

Scally has potential but has not been consistent.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Supports:Metro
 But if his career is going to take a major swing, its much more likely to be in the Euro direction and not the MLS bench direction.

I like this take. It ain't hot, it ain't cold, it's juuuust right. 

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats
I didnt watch/listen, but apparently Berhalter named Tolkin as a possible candidate for USMNT left back backup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users