14 replies to this topic

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Agreed, I think they're making pretty good moves, but I still see no reason why they couldn't have kept Petke.

They didn't think he was good enough. Petke's greatest asset, his passion, was not what changed our fortunes last year - the formation change did that. And most believe that was a Henry or Fraser move. Petke was not a tactical genius or a great in-game manager. He cared, he connected with fans, and most importantly was a link to our Metro days. But in my mind that's not enough to be the coach.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

They didn't think he was good enough. Petke's greatest asset, his passion, was not what changed our fortunes last year - the formation change did that. And most believe that was a Henry or Fraser move. Petke was not a tactical genius or a great in-game manager. He cared, he connected with fans, and most importantly was a link to our Metro days. But in my mind that's not enough to be the coach.

He won more than any other manager we've had.  He's won more trophies than any other manager he had.  He's beaten DC in the playoffs more than any other manager we had.  That's enough to be manager for my club.  Good head coaches know how to leverage the information of people around them into results.  Listening is a sign of a good leader and indicative of someone who understands his limitations as a person.  Listening and getting results?  That's what a manager should do.

Backe had Henry too...he didn't do shit.

We're punishing success as a club and that is 100% horseshit. People like you trying to rationalize doesn't change the black and white facts.

#RedBullOut

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

He won more than any other manager we've had.  He's won more trophies than any other manager he had.  He's beaten DC in the playoffs more than any other manager we had.  That's enough to be manager for my club.  Good head coaches know how to leverage the information of people around them into results.  Listening is a sign of a good leader and indicative of someone who understands his limitations as a person.  Listening and getting results?  That's what a manager should do.

We're punishing success as a club and that is 100% horseshit. People like you trying to rationalize doesn't change the black and white facts.

Exactly.  It would have been very easy for Cuntis to sit Mike down and say this is what you do well, this is where we need to see improvement, and BTW we are bringing in a guy Marsch to replace Fraser, who I think can help you tactically and analytically.  And then, if it wasn't working, you consider a change.    Of course, you need to be careful about Marsch undermining Mike, but that's all manageable.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

Backe's first season was pretty similar to Petke's in terms of winning percentage (we played less games).

Who was Petke going to leverage this year?  Henry and Fraser are gone.  I know everyone thinks Red Bull is the reason Fraser is gone (and they're probably right with their 1 year offer), but what if Fraser left because he was tired of carrying Petke?  Petke was fires AFTER Fraser decided not to stay on.  Maybe Fraser stays and Red Bull lets Mike stay.  

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

Exactly.  It would have been very easy for Cuntis to sit Mike down and say this is what you do well, this is where we need to see improvement, and BTW we are bringing in a guy Marsch to replace Fraser, who I think can help you tactically and analytically.  And then, if it wasn't working, you consider a change.    Of course, you need to be careful about Marsch undermining Mike, but that's all manageable.

Backe had Petke as his assistant, maybe that held him back?

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

Someone commented on here the other day that Miazga was unhappy with the level of training he was receiving with the first team.  Everyone one assumes all the players had Petke's back, but maybe not.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Backe also had to contend with Marqua.

I didn't hate Backe, and maybe with the unbalanced schedule like Mike had, he would have won us a Shield that first year.   It was downhill from there. Petke did win the shield , and had a very good post-season the following year.    But Backe was universally considered to be just plan lazy, phoning it in until retirement.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

I didn't hate Backe, and maybe with the unbalanced schedule like Mike had, he would have won us a Shield that first year.   It was downhill from there. Petke did win the shield , and had a very good post-season the following year.    But Backe was universally considered to be just plan lazy, phoning it in until retirement.   

Wasn't a real fan of Backe.  Just acknowledging his success, what little he had.

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

Why do we keep moving threads where someone points out that maybe, for all his flaws and his total lack of interpersonal communications skills, Ali C gets a move right. The whole point of these boards is to discuss the team.  Why would we want to stifle dissenting viewpoints?  I'm all for a healthy discussion and debate.  We let Harraby Lad post here for ages and O'sack too and kept their threads on the main board well after they should have been moved.  What gives?

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

I guess I place more emphasis on a coach that's better "tactically and analytically" than one that has passion and a history with the team.  And that viewpoint is in direct contrast to 90% of the people on this board.  

If I was bringing in a coach in to help with tactics, I'd just make that guy the coach.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

I guess I place more emphasis on a coach that's better "tactically and analytically" than one that has passion and a history with the team.  And that viewpoint is in direct contrast to 90% of the people on this board.  

If I was bringing in a coach in to help with tactics, I'd just make that guy the coach.

You can also have a tactical genius who can't motivate players to perform.  Then you suck.

Backe's first season was pretty similar to Petke's in terms of winning percentage (we played less games).

Except Petke won something.  Our first trophy.

#RedBullOut

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

Backe had Petke as his assistant, maybe that held him back?

Oh give me a fucking break.   Jan Halvor whatever his name is was the lead assistant.  Petke was low level first year guy.  The following year he took over and won the damn shield.

#RedBullOut

Elder Statesman

Elder Statesman

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Supports:Metros

Petke is a very good identifier of talent.  He's a great motivator and also good at dealing with personalities.  Petke and Fraser made a great team because Fraser was a good tactician.  Red Bulls could have kept Fraser if they offered him a real contract like Toronto did.

zoomosapien

zoomosapien

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, MLS, US MNT
Really disappointed that this thread was created/moved just because of an unpopular viewpoint. I thought people could post freely as long as they are on topic regardless of opinion. Shame. Better watch what I say.
" I don't know you and you don't know the half of it " - Bono

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

AFAIK, Harraby owned/owns this website.  Also, HL & O-sack are actually known by many who post here regularly. 

OTOH, people who nobody knows, pop up with anti-Petke, or apologist-Ali/RBFO threads or threadjacks, which deserve to be redirected to the BTDH sub-forum, where they will hopefully die a slow & painful death.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users