• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I trust White.  Give him a run in this game.  At the very least we are going to get very good holdup play.  I'd still bring BWP because if that game is tied in the 70th minute, get him out there.

----------White---

Ivan----Kaku----Muyl

------Davis-Adams

Lade Parker Escobar Murillo

Important to keep Parker in this game to deal with Kamara in the air.  Hell, even Waston on set pieces too.  

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Royer has proven that he can make good runs, find good spots, and finish. Added bonus is that he works very hard in the pressing game.

Play him up top and slide Etienne into his midfield role if you need to rest BWP.

Royer is such an odd player because he may be the worst finisher to score 10+ goals a season I've ever seen in MLS (assuming he gets there again this year). He scores some penalties, gets on the end of some set pieces, but most of the rest are scrappy tap ins like his most recent brace against LAFC. Hes a far cry from a guy like Grella who had ice in his veins any time he got near goal.

That said, the alternatives are so bad that sure why not give him a shot up there. He does the rest of the job well enough.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Royer is such an odd player because he may be the worst finisher to score 10+ goals a season I've ever seen in MLS (assuming he gets there again this year). He scores some penalties, gets on the end of some set pieces, but most of the rest are scrappy tap ins like his most recent brace against LAFC. Hes a far cry from a guy like Grella who had ice in his veins any time he got near goal.

That said, the alternatives are so bad that sure why not give him a shot up there. He does the rest of the job well enough.

He's an athletic Woly in that regard

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Going into this weekend, Royer was only underperforming his xG by 1.19. That's second-worst on the team (behind Adams), but it's a lot better than players like Almiron (4.82), Ola Kamara (2.34), Zardes (1.88), Elis (3.87), and Giovinco (3.95).

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

Going into this weekend, Royer was only underperforming his xG by 1.19. That's second-worst on the team (behind Adams), but it's a lot better than players like Almiron (4.82), Ola Kamara (2.34), Zardes (1.88), Elis (3.87), and Giovinco (3.95).

I think shot volume might be playing a role in those numbers, the more shots you take the more volatile your G to xG stat will be. Giovinco and Almiron shoot on sight, they have more shots than anyone else in the league by a ridiculous margin. Zardes and Elis are in the top 10 as well. Royer on the other hand doesn't tend to pull the trigger unless he's almost in the six yard box.

I could be letting the eye test fail me here, but I can't really recall many of his goals that I'd consider clinical finishing. Last summer he went through a stretch where he did start shooting more regularly from distance and the goals were pouring in, but even a lot of those were deflections/keeper errors.

He still works his ass off enough that it's not a crazy idea to give him a run at striker, especially when Etienne, White, and Abang are the alternatives.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Royer's game could work up top, but I don't think we have to go to that yet.

Abang showed some good things while here before.  I'm interested in him if he's got his act together.  And supposedly he does.

Also interested with White because I've seen him with the 2's and the kid has some positive attributes.   Unlike guys like Allen and Bonomo, his game will translate decently well.  Only question in my mind is whether he'll just be a career bench player, or actually make a legit impact.

Etienne should never play up top.  He can't finish.  Keep giving him occasional minutes on the wing and if he shows something that matters (outside of the occasional flashy play that usually doesn't result in a goal) then you up his minutes.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Royer ... scrappy tap ins like ... against LAFC.

Really? That first goal was amazing! And, how many times have we seen apparent tap-ins land in the stands?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

No one is EVER going to touch BWP (certainly not Royer) but if you look at how BWP scores many of his goals its by being at the right place at the right time.

Royer cant pants anyone 1 v 1 and cant score from distance but he finds the right spots to pop up and he puts in the pressing work.

Point being he is a somewhat similar type of goal scorer (a very VERY poor mans BWP if you will). So it would make sense to slot him in there over the other options (or NON options).

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Royer's game could work up top, but I don't think we have to go to that yet.

Abang showed some good things while here before.  I'm interested in him if he's got his act together.  And supposedly he does.

Also interested with White because I've seen him with the 2's and the kid has some positive attributes.   Unlike guys like Allen and Bonomo, his game will translate decently well.  Only question in my mind is whether he'll just be a career bench player, or actually make a legit impact.

Etienne should never play up top.  He can't finish.  Keep giving him occasional minutes on the wing and if he shows something that matters (outside of the occasional flashy play that usually doesn't result in a goal) then you up his minutes.

I doubt Abang will be ready until playoff time at best. White is completely unproven.

We know Royer can score goals at this level and he knows how the team wants to play.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Really? That first goal was amazing! And, how many times have we seen apparent tap-ins land in the stands?

https://mlsmultiplex...ene-miss-video/

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Royer as a striker? If BWP and Kaku aren't in the 18, so like this?

Royer

Etienne Rza Muyl

Tyler Davis

Taxi Long Parker Murillo

Robles 

Meara Collin Fidel Lade Ivan Casseres White 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

Royer as a striker? If BWP and Kaku aren't in the 18, so like this?

Royer

Etienne Rza Muyl

Tyler Davis

Taxi Long Parker Murillo

Robles 

Meara Collin Fidel Lade Ivan Casseres White 

See you're playing still trying to play chess here, I think what we really need to do is play a game of such chaotic checkers that Vancouver doesn't know how to react.

Robles and Royer at striker, Collin and Abang at centerback, Adams plays goal, we don't even put a midfield out there. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

If BWP and Kaku aren't in the 18...

BWP and Kaku should never be sat at the same time ever again. EVER.

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYR, NYJ
Does Kaku really need a rest? He is 23 years old and here are his minutes played over the last several games

I agree with taking care of BWP where and when we can, but I do not agree with leaving Kaku in New Jersey.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Does Kaku really need a rest? He is 23 years old and here are his minutes played over the last several games

I agree with taking care of BWP where and when we can, but I do not agree with leaving Kaku in New Jersey.

This is definitely something Armas is doing better than Marsch - keeping some key players fresher, by not having them go 90 every game.

Kaku is young and probably doesnt need the same rest as BWP, but he hasnt had an off-season this year. He came over mid-season for the Argie league, so Armas does have to consider that a little.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users