46 replies to this topic

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

You guys are still talking as if you are the intended audience of a coach's every comment to the media. You're not.

Is there a coach out there in any sport that gives reliable, honest, and critical analysis in every post game presser?

Again, the point is that if you're looking to build up confidence in a young guy, you can still say many things without calling white black. Saying BS that's just not true has no upside and does no one any good.

If you're implying that the comments were meant for Murillo, Armas could always mention hustle/reading the play/staying aware etc. Instead of making a point, he set himself up to be ridiculed and have his comments ignored.

I don't usually pay attention to public statements of coaches/GMs for precisely the reason you said (they're often just cliched and meaningless), but this one stood out for its disconnect to reality.

maxmini

maxmini

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Corinthians

You guys are still talking as if you are the intended audience of a coach's every comment to the media. You're not.

A coach's decisions speak loudly enough for me. So often they're either too strategic or just plain uncomfortable talking to the media to actually learn anything meaningful. What actually changes if he says Buckmaster is just OK instead of a lockdown defender? Nada...

If he was saying something to get to Murillo he could have said virtually anything...... except calling Buckmaster a "lock down defender".  I'm sure Murillo chuckled when he heard that.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

If he was saying something to get to Murillo he could have said virtually anything...... except calling Buckmaster a "lock down defender".  I'm sure Murillo chuckled when he heard that.

I assume his comments were for Buckmaster, not Murillo. An oil rig drill couldn't have gotten through Murillo's skull last season.

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

A coach's decisions speak loudly enough for me. So often they're either too strategic or just plain uncomfortable talking to the media to actually learn anything meaningful. What actually changes if he says Buckmaster is just OK instead of a lockdown defender? Nada...

Yes, you just emphasized my earlier point.

The players had to hear their coach calling Bucky a lockdown defender. Then just looked at each other in the locker room and laughed. And bother the player and their lying coach.

Lose/lose situation Armas created for himself.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Armas is bad with the media, but we all know that.  As a player I am guessing some of them laughed, but they also know what Armas was trying to do.  Thats a comment you tell a player 1v1 (i.e. "you have potential to be a shutdown defender in this league").  That being said the handling of Rece is the least of our worries about Armas.  I like his ideas of trying different things, but he has to show that he can get everyone aligned tactically.  Maybe togetherness will help.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT
Man I think I was legit the harshest Bucky critic here. Even in RB2 I liked rito and even kutler more.

Saying all that cutting him now is pretty trash. Should have done it the day after philly and give him a chance to find a usl team.

But him and Ivan whoever gave these guys deals needs to be fired.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

They liked him because they had to bench Murillo, Duncan was hurt, and had no other option but to like him

They didnt have to bench Murillo. On his worst day he still way better than buck. Armas made a huge error by taking buck over Michael in playoffs, and we paid the ultimate price for it. and even for this season, Michael just turned 24, Was there really no way to mend that relationship and keep him? Buck sucked for us and now doesnt have a job, while Michael is a starter for Anderlecht at 24 years of age. Armas just looks like a complete moron for starting Buck in playoffs over Murillo last year.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

They didnt have to bench Murillo. On his worst day he still way better than buck. Armas made a huge error by taking buck over Michael in playoffs, and we paid the ultimate price for it. and even for this season, Michael just turned 24, Was there really no way to mend that relationship and keep him? Buck sucked for us and now doesnt have a job, while Michael is a starter for Anderlecht at 24 years of age. Armas just looks like a complete moron for starting Buck in playoffs over Murillo last year.

The front office sucks.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Murillo didn't get a move after the World Cup, he pouted. Team put him on "Garden Leave". Simple as that. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

They didnt have to bench Murillo.

We don't know the full story but people are making it seem like Murillo became such a locker room cancer that Armas had no choice but to start benching him.

He desperately wanted out of MLS, not much the FO can do about that. It's just too bad Murillo wasn't mature enough to play out his last season here like a professional.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Olympic qualifying starts soon. If Duncan is missing and Egbo starts, who is the backup?

Bring Lade out of retirement?

(Not that I want Buckmaster out there, but still.)

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

Olympic qualifying starts soon. If Duncan is missing and Egbo starts, who is the backup?

Bring Lade out of retirement?

(Not that I want Buckmaster out there, but still.)

Muyl is the only other option on the senior roster I can think of, he's played wingback a few times.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Muyl has played RWB before, I guess he could play RB in a 4-2-2-2, or RWB in a 3-5-2 if need be

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

He was benched because he was an issue in training and was shutting off at times on the pitch. Sure, Murillo was still 10x better than Buck, but sometimes coaches have to send a message. There was a time Petke benches Henry for a half and the team responded afterwards. If Armas let Murillo walk over him and not bench him, that could open a door for other players to do the same. Things arent as black and white as youre portraying them.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

He was benched because he was an issue in training

Steve Gerard dropped Morelos yesterday for returning late from a vacation home. Rangers did not score and were eliminated in the Scottish Cup 1/4-finals.
https://www.bbc.com/...otball/51691668

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users