238 replies to this topic

odsum25

odsum25

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Supports:RBNY
I could see them signing a really young guy who can come off the bench for now, but who that they think could become a long term Kljestan or BWP replacement.

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I could see them signing a really young guy who can come off the bench for now, but who that they think could become a long term Kljestan or BWP replacement.

Young players with the potential to replace a Kljestan or a BWP cost an arm and a leg, aren't happy to come off the bench, and do not often come to MLS. Can't think of an example in recent years. Don't think that's realistic.

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Don't worry Ben Mines is coming soon enough.   :D

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,418 posts
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro
So Galaxy have the dos Santos while we trial for some MLS castoff.

Hey, at least NYCFC can't sign more DPs...

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,342 posts
  • Supports:Metro

So Galaxy have the dos Santos while we trial for some MLS castoff.

Hey, at least NYCFC can't sign more DPs...

Don't worry, MLS hasn't fudged the rules for a while. They are due.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

odsum25

odsum25

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Young players with the potential to replace a Kljestan or a BWP cost an arm and a leg, aren't happy to come off the bench, and do not often come to MLS. Can't think of an example in recent years. Don't think that's realistic.

I'm talking about a project player from Central America, a lesser South American nation, or Cameroon, but further along than an Abang, Ndam, or Douglas Martinez.

Someone currently playing on the level of a Murillo or Lawrence at the time that they were signed. A guy who has gotten a few caps for a smallish country, or is on the cusp of getting called up, who could develop into an all star. It's definitely easier to find a striker that meets those criteria than a 10, but it might be possible.

I don't have any names in mind.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,861 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Would love to have Duka for nostalgia ...

I'm still waiting for Danny Szetela.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

I'm still waiting for Danny Szetela.

I still have one of his Cosmos bobbleheads for you!
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I'm talking about a project player from Central America, a lesser South American nation, or Cameroon, but further along than an Abang, Ndam, or Douglas Martinez.

Someone currently playing on the level of a Murillo or Lawrence at the time that they were signed. A guy who has gotten a few caps for a smallish country, or is on the cusp of getting called up, who could develop into an all star. It's definitely easier to find a striker that meets those criteria than a 10, but it might be possible.

I don't have any names in mind.

Yeah, I understood the idea. Just saying that at the 10 or 9 position, the fees for those players are many multiples of the players at the back/wing back positions. You could say Veron was a decent comp. At 25 he cost 2+M. Add a few caps and reduce the age by a couple of years and you're in the region of Atlanta FC's Martinez/Villalba or Joel Campbell (a few years ago), DP signings for more than that, or on their way to Europe.

Don't get me wrong, such signings would be great! I just don't think it's realistic to be expecting that caliber of player to be signed by RB after seeing that we've gone with the likes of Royer/Damari/Keita in addition to BWP/Klestan in recent times.

odsum25

odsum25

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Escobar seems like a depth signing for the bench.

I don't think that Escobar is going to waltz into the starting lineup next week, but really? From your point of view was Kemar Lawrence (a 22 year old failed DC trialist) also a depth signing for the bench? He came in and started relatively quickly, had a great 2015, a rougher 2016, and has been the top performing field player this year.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,796 posts

I don't think that Escobar is going to waltz into the starting lineup next week, but really? From your point of view was Kemar Lawrence (a 22 year old failed DC trialist) also a depth signing for the bench? He came in and started relatively quickly, had a great 2015, a rougher 2016, and has been the top performing field player this year.

Grelladhino is trolling.

Smart signing. 

22 yr old international with good Gold Cup and qualifying experience for a decent Panama team.  Seems like Murrillo redux and everyone things he is a clear starter with upside.   

Someone we've gotten through the first half of the season with only 3 CBs and sit 5th but will strong play in the last month. Depth for now is fine till he is ready to compete for 1 of the 3 CB spots.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

ig101

ig101

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,218 posts
  • Supports:Metro

https://twitter.com/...622715685609472

maxmini

maxmini

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Corinthians

Escobar signing is a shot across the bow to Collin who forced a signing and showed up out of shape and has been injured all year.  I think it is his last year here.  He is needed now but they don't want to rely on an aging CB.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,664 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Escobar signing is a shot across the bow to Collin who forced a signing and showed up out of shape and has been injured all year.  I think it is his last year here.  He is needed now but they don't want to rely on an aging CB.

GIves him a half season to adjust to the league, which defenders typically need

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users