• Supports:Who do you think!

Posted 06 June 2006 - 11:55 AM

://www.yanks-abroad.com/content.php?mode=extratime&id=001917

#2 Jamie352

Jamie352

Player/Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts
  • Interests:Is there anything but soccer? ;)
  • Supports:Fire

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:49 PM

The thing I've found most obnoxious is that most brits I've met can't get past the fact that American's call the game "soccer" instead of football, despite all the facts and logic behind it... :rolleyes:

Good one from the Guardian.

http://football.guar...1786908,00.html

#3 creativedestruction

creativedestruction

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 06 June 2006 - 01:15 PM

I love this one:

if the US were a shoe they would be a Doc Marten – lacking finesse but with a simple message: "Do what I say or feel the force."

I think this will have to go on the BM website

#4 Steve the Arsonist

Steve the Arsonist

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts
  • Supports:Fire, Shef. Utd., Hbrg City Islndrs

Posted 06 June 2006 - 04:00 PM

The Euro sports press makes the U.S. sports press look more on the ball. Scary.

#5 Sandinista

Sandinista

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:13 PM

Through the grunting and the chants of "USA! USA!" I found myself humming Woodie Guthrie's Which Side Are You On? (the Billy Bragg version, naturally).

:pint:

#6 Jamie352

Jamie352

Player/Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts
  • Interests:Is there anything but soccer? ;)
  • Supports:Fire

Posted 06 June 2006 - 06:58 PM

The Euro sports press makes the U.S. sports press look more on the ball. Scary.

Yeah, but he's picked from such a wide variety of sources, many of which are one-time hack-jobs. Shit, the pub I was in tonight had a world-cup beer promotion going, with beers from lots of different WC countries and a blurb about each team. The US one was pretty good, actually, though it did mention that "if we get out of the group we could go far" which seemed to ignore the prospect of facing Brazil second round...

Anyway, I'm impressed that so many of those reports got it mostly right. It makes you wonder at the quality of the write-ups on teams like Togo. And to be fair, I've caught mistakes in daily articles in newspapers or internet sites throughout the season, mistaking a player's position or previous club or somesuch. Editing is apparently a lost art...

#7 chengb02

chengb02

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • Supports:Fire/Arsenal/GuoAn

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:01 PM

I agree with jamie, too often editing seems to be ignored and writers make stupid mistakes.

In any case, despite how funny some of those mistakes seem, I would rather have articles with mistakes than no articles at all, which is what we get in the US press.

#8 BenBurton

BenBurton

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 01:37 AM

The Fire are graeat.

-Ben

#9 iwishiweremingus1

iwishiweremingus1

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Supports:take a wild guess.

Posted 07 June 2006 - 03:34 PM

whoa. the guardian one is ridculous, he even fucks up the fact that billy bragg's cover of whose side are you on is not a woodie guthrie song but a florence reese song. what a snobby douchebag. although i sort of agree with some of the points.

#10 Sandinista

Sandinista

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 04:33 PM

whoa. the guardian one is ridculous, he even fucks up the fact that billy bragg's cover of whose side are you on is not a woodie guthrie song but a florence reese song. what a snobby douchebag. although i sort of agree with some of the points.

please tell me your kidding. it's an easy mistake to make and doesn't warrant calling him a 'snobby douchebag.' the fact he mentioned billy bragg or woody guthrie at all earns him points. i thought the article was pretty good overall.

#11 iwishiweremingus1

iwishiweremingus1

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Supports:take a wild guess.

Posted 08 June 2006 - 03:14 PM

yes and no. i'm the snobby douchebag for pointing it out, but you have to admit, when you're writing a snobby column, it usually does well to check up on shit that other snobby douchebags can use against you. it was a pretty decent article. i guess what really fails to factor in to everyone else's perception of america is the sheer amount of it. there's really a shitload of america. the tone of the article is what gets me, i guess i just felt like it didn't give enough credit to people who do care. on second readthrough, it is a pretty good article. anyone on here read john nicholson?

#12 modernpiracy

modernpiracy

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:peep the myspace<br />www.myspace.com/cameronjamick
  • Supports:chicago

Posted 09 June 2006 - 05:11 PM

i really like billy bragg, but come on.

a british person that is probably in his early/mid thirties name dropping billy bragg?

that's like checking the specials.

#13 Sandinista

Sandinista

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 01:54 AM

...anyone on here read john nicholson?

his column is why football365 is such a great site. he's one of the best football writers out there i think (at least one of the most entertaining)

i really like billy bragg, but come on.

a british person that is probably in his early/mid thirties name dropping billy bragg?

that's like checking the specials.

he worked it into an article about american soccer and dropped (albeit wrongly) woody guthrie too...i'd give him credit.

#14 BenBurton

BenBurton

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 09:09 AM

Am I the only one not impressed that this guys knows who Woodie Guthrie and Billy Bragg are?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users