• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Yes because if you own a soccer team with one of the nicest stadiums in the country located 18 minutes from downtown Manhattan the smart thing is to move the team to Oklahoma. Everyone knows that.

18 minutes I wish. It took me 1:45 to go from East 60's Manhattan to the stadium. PATH on the weekends is a total clusterf.... This wasn't the first time either. I will drive next time I have vowed...so much for trying to be cost effective and environmentally conscious.  The ride back was constant waiting and multiple train changes as well. I left at 3:30 for the game and got home at 9:00. 

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

RB does sell more tickets than people use.

Sucks for Columbus fans.  The reality is any team there is going to be second to college football, which isn't great for a pro sports team.

And moving to Austin is totally going to solve that second fiddle to college football problem!
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

The advantage to being where we are is that there is zero chance we move, ever.  You don't leave NYC metro region, particularly the one club that has a soccer specific ground.  MLS would outright reject the move and take over the club before ever allowing us to move.

That said, I think if the Crew move this all but guarantees Cincinnati is into the fold.  It's a damn shame that rivalry would never take off though...could really help both clubs.

#RedBullOut

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

RB does sell more tickets than people use.

Sucks for Columbus fans.  The reality is any team there is going to be second to college football, which isn't great for a pro sports team.

RB gives away a ton of tickets.  Back in 15, 1/3 of the "paid" attendance was giveaways.

#RedBullOut

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
SUCKS for their US fan base: Hey your national team just shit the bed and your local team is leaving too!

Seems like a pretty silly idea to relocate to Austin. Why not move to one of the markets MLS is already interested in expanding to? If you want to avoid being stuck in the same financial situation go where there is a demand for the sport and drop a new stadium close to downtown in THAT market?

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hartford Athletic, USMNT
Would be the final nail in the coffin of the fortress that brought us dos a cero, as if Klinsmann didnt already wreck that for us.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

And moving to Austin is totally going to solve that second fiddle to college football problem!

True, but I've met people from Austin that don't care about college sports.  I've never met anyone from Columbus that doesn't live Ohio State football.  That's anecdotal though.

RB gives away a ton of tickets.  Back in 15, 1/3 of the "paid" attendance was giveaways.

Right, and in addition, all those $6 tix on StubHub weren't bought at full price.  There are still a lot of no shows from season ticket holders.  Maybe not more than the giveaways.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
This is a terrible thing to do. Columbus should stay in ohio. The issue with that market is that they do not have a regional rival. It would be cool to see columbus vs. Cincy or columbus vs. Cleveland. If the league wants a team in austin then they should do it but the league should not uproot a team like that. It will leave a black eye to the league when ever a team asks for a new stadium. Columbus was one of the first teams to give MLS a legit chance when the league was on the verge of brankruptcy. There should be some loyalty.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
I don't think cities should ever pay for stadiums to be built, it's a joke that it happens still in this day when these teams are spending more money than ever before. Some are saying no way and that's when they lose their team, st. Louis, San Diego and Oakland in the NFL are all recent examples. I just can't see the city of Columbus approving a downtown stadium that taxpayers would have to pay for so I think they are done.

I don't think we will ever move, people are way more dramatic about our attendance than they should be, especially compared to other teams in the league but we will go through a rebranding at some point, I don't think it will happen any time soon but I expect it in my lifetime and I expect half the fan base to bitch and moan about the new name and we'll add a 4th supporters section so we can chant 3 different names during games lol

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

As said earlier in this post, this can happen to any fan base and I wouldnt wish it on anybody. Even the Scum or Hartford City.

I wish this on Hartford "fans" everyday. Fuck them. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

This is a terrible thing to do. Columbus should stay in ohio. The issue with that market is that they do not have a regional rival. It would be cool to see columbus vs. Cincy or columbus vs. Cleveland. If the league wants a team in austin then they should do it but the league should not uproot a team like that. It will leave a black eye to the league when ever a team asks for a new stadium. Columbus was one of the first teams to give MLS a legit chance when the league was on the verge of brankruptcy. There should be some loyalty.

Chicago as the regional rival? KC does ok with no other team that close.  The US is too large for all teams to have rival teams within an hour or two.  Don't get me wrong, this sucks.  I have friends in Columbus that this will crush.

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
Things like this in professional sports piss me off. Teams are part of their communities and moving them is like ripping a piece out of people's lives. I would hate for this situation to happen to anyone (except DC.)

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Old teams don't draw well. New England, Crew, and DC for example all draw terribly. If we want the league to be a success, teams that draw less than 10k routinely need to move. 

odsum25

odsum25

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Supports:RBNY
As a longtime Austin resident, I hope that this happens. I'll happily schedule gigs and trips dowm there around Red Bulls matches.

I think that the attendance would be pretty good, in spite of UT football. The biggest issue in Austin is where the stadium would be. All of the sites that have been kicked around in the past didn't seem right to me.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

Old teams don't draw well. New England, Crew, and DC for example all draw terribly. If we want the league to be a success, teams that draw less than 10k routinely need to move. 

NE has a terrible stadium situation and awful owner and DC plays in a stadium that should've been condemned years ago. The scumbag Crew owner bought them specifically to get a team cheap and move them. I hope he drowns in a puddle of ebola. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the Crew own their stadium? Say they draw 13k a game, with the puny cap how can they lose significant money when the second biggest financial concern of a team (rent of building) is $0? It makes no sense.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users