27 replies to this topic

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO

It's probably because the USMNT stink for the most part. If the USMNT was better than Brazil, then little Brazilian kids would be wearing USA shirts, but that's not the case, so little American kids wear Brazil shirts. Everybody loves a winner.

I hope no one gets offended but Americans love a winner. Most of these little countries, with maybe an exception of mexico winning cold cups regularly, have never won shit yet they continue to root for their team and with passion. I would imagine finding a Brazil jersey in Costarica or Honduras worn by a local is non existent and same can be said of Europe and wearing A German jersey. Same story with local teams who often always suck yet have generational fans because that is what people all over the world do, root for the local team. Yes they might love a winner from elsewhere too but that local pride is still strong. 

Hating on people because they don't root for their new/adopted country makes sense to me from an American viewpoint and makes complete sense to root for our country of origin from my Serbian viewpoint. I root for both but it is not really a competition who to root for if the two play each other. Funny how we heard talks about keeping politics out of soccer in the SW thread and now same people are bringing politics into the USA game thread. Admit it, politics is a huge part of sports like it or not, especially fandom. 

Just my 2 cents on this touchy subject for many of you.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

No wonder this split wound up in the Pointless subforum.
More internet keyboard warrior bullshit. Grow up.

Right, so leave the moderating to Metrofanatic. Debate substance or scroll to the next comment. 

Some of us have strong reactions to toxic rhetoric that is actively being used to hurt people we work with / care about / are. I have a friend that's an educational consultant in NY/NJ; he's already fielded several request from school districts this new year to train teachers and admins in how to best respond to all the racist shit that's now being written in and on schools. Can you imagine being an awkward brownish teenager in that environment, in this atmosphere? This is not just an abstract discussion topic for people who fully know the weight of those words. We should stand with them, vocally and unequivocally. Or at least not chide people who do. So I'm not going to affect some cool terse indifference when I see racist crap on the message boards of an explicitly anti-racist fanbase (we are, right? It's part of why I love ESC...).

If moderate white people policed their own more aggressively when they're off spouting regressive racist nonsense, less moderate less white people like me wouldn't be so reactive and on guard about the whole situation. Hell, we wouldn't even have had Raygun as a President.

Interesting how your strongest words of rebuke were used for the criticism of racism, not the racism itself. Equally bad, are they?

So you can keep calling me stupid and immature. But perhaps I'm not the only one with learning and growing to do.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Yup. Keep politics outta sports, but what are people talking about after the Costa Rica game? 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre
Build a wall jokes, landscaper jokes, jokes about the status of the vendors selling bootleg jerseys and grilled meats between the stadium and el tren. There were some real douches in the house that night.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
Maybe there were more Costa Rica fans at the game because they have a much better team than the USA? I mean, damn. They made the quarterfinals at the last World Cup. The USMNT suck right now. There is no other way to put it. I haven't even been watching the games on TV lately because it's so depressing.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

leave the moderating to Metrofanatic. 

It's not your board, so you can't stop me from expressing my opinion, or calling you on yours.

Some of us have strong reactions to toxic rhetoric that is actively being used to hurt people

You're not earning that merit badge here.

I have a friend that's an educational consultant

An oxymoron

I'm not going to affect some cool terse indifference

You should try. Works wonders.

you can keep calling me stupid and immature.

If you insist.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Metro4LIFE

Metro4LIFE

Electron Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,421 posts
  • Interests:Metro, Graffiti, Art, Hookers
  • Supports:Metro

Damn this thread is all over the place!

First its tough to get someone to root against their own country simply because they moved to a new one. I bet there were Mexicans, Peruvians, Argentinians, Salvadoreans, etc rooting for the US. And Im sure had it not been Costa Rica, the Ticos would've been right next to you cheering on the USA.

All these people you speak of though should be the MINORITY. There should NEVER be a home game for any of the CONCACAF or CONMEBOL countries in the USA. But I dont blame them. I blame Americans. You should be pissed at the white kid in Chatham, NJ for rooting for Brazil or Germany rather than USA. I see these same I-talians from Bayonne, coming out for Juve and not the US national team. Wheres your criticism for them? And Im not talking fresh off the Sicily boat either. Im talking Jersey shore types who cant even point out italy on a map.

THe second point in this thread seems to be about banter. I think that insulting each other is fine in normal circumstances but ever since this last election its just a bit different. You have to just cool it and let it be. Insult each other in other ways that doesn't have to do with race or politics. Maybe our political climate will cool down in a few years and we can all go back to calling each other trailer trash and gardeners and laugh about it. 

Also insulting Mexico is not racist. Mexican isnt a race. Its a nationality. Its just that in this country Mexican = brown person. But in reality Mexicans come in all races, as white as Donald Trump to as dark as Mamadou Diallo(the soccer player). Same for my country, Peru. Shit, we got asians in our heritage too, so how can you be a racist when you are insulting a whole country? You cant, youre just being an asshole. And in the context of football thats ok. Because guess what, that little brown gardiner Mexican, is probably just as bit of an asshole as you are. And probably understands its all in good fun. But I do think that in the context of what happening in the country its better to keep it cool.

Soy Del Metrooooo, Del Metro soy yoooooooo!

FootballClubMaps.com :: High Quality Football Posters from around the globe. Get yours today!

Savarese17

Savarese17

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

This is a bit of an overreaction as far as Costa Rica is concerned. I saw how they conducted themselves and am pretty sure if CR were not playing, they would be supporting the USA just like most of us. But you can't count on anyone to just ignore what's in their blood. What's interesting is that they were almost all not young people, unlike what you see with the Mexicans. People just assimilate differently, and Costa Ricans are not the problem. They care more about the game than people in America, and until that changes the hungrier soccer-loving people will attend these games and make more noise. On the other side, many Mexicans won't be a fan of the US and are deliberately antagonistic when it comes to the country they escaped to for a better life, and those should unequivocally be sent back because their loyalties lay elsewhere when the chips are down. I invite you to call the child of South American immigrant parents making this post a racist. 

But aside from all of that stuff, It is mostly a  problem with the US soccer culture, like this tweet:

https://twitter.com/...271380993196032

"The @LAGalaxy tried to sell me season tickets again and when I said no, I wasn't happy with the club, I was told I was a bad fan"

In most countries, cities, states, townships, villages, hamlets, your team is your team. This guy is complaining that the Galaxy have had their first bad season in like 10 years and all of a sudden withdrawing support. Is he REALLY a soccer fan? No. He is an American sports fan disguising himself as a soccer fan. Many people who claim to love soccer think they are big supporters of the game, but aren't really.  This guy was/is supposedly one of the big Twitter names in American soccer. The same type of guy like Grant Wahl, who is supposedly a soccer guy but would root against the United States vs Mexico in an important World Cup qualifier because of Trump. They are not soccer fans, they are opportunists or career-people. To use an extreme opinion, the USA could be bombing 20 countries (probably already secretly are), and I will still root root root for the home team because if they don't win it's a shame. A lot of these type of people, let's be honest, left-leaning softie types that represent the game in this country, won't because soccer is not their game. The same type of people who complain because Alexi Lalas isn't neutral, or the type of people who support Ian Darke doing USMNT games despite him looking at this as just another job. THAT is what we are dealing with, even with the most fervent supposed soccer-lovers in this country. Those people, when being 0-1 down in an important qualifier will not open their mouths and encourage their country's representatives, like those bone-chilling roars you hear for EPL teams when they are down 0-1 in the 87th minute and are bringing the ball across the halfway line. They are willing the ball into the goal. In the USA/CR game, not many people were willing the ball into the goal.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

Grant Wahl ... is supposedly a soccer guy but would root against the United States vs Mexico in an important World Cup qualifier because of Trump ...

Do you have a link establishing this?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Metro4LIFE

Metro4LIFE

Electron Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,421 posts
  • Interests:Metro, Graffiti, Art, Hookers

This is a bit of an overreaction as far as Costa Rica is concerned. ..... They are willing the ball into the goal. In the USA/CR game, not many people were willing the ball into the goal.

Im not sure what your point is. Because in South America people DO abandon their club all the time. But the difference is then dont just not show up(well some do) they end up rioting. To me thats 20x worse. Because you're costing your club money, your costing your club the opportunity to come back, and you end up doing more harm than good. Not buying a season ticket is a more civilized way to say the same shit. You're not abandoning your club as much as you're letting your wallet do the talking instead of your fist.

Second if you want to talk about the country aspect of this, its a totally different ballgame. The sport is just not at the level and as ingraned in the culture as it is in other places. In other places is not even about soccer really its more about national pride, because most of those countries are shitty in everything else. People lives are hard, the government is hella corrupt, you get robbed everyday, and you gotta hustle and scrape for every penny. So the one shot you got to be proud of your country is on the biggest stage, soccer.

America is the opposite. We put out so much crap, movies, tech, music, every single sport, that soccer is an insignificant event. Wether we win at soccer doesnt matter to us as a nation to be able to say we accomplished something. We've already accomplished so much that this is so small. So when we lose, hey its ok we still live in the greatest country in the world. When people in Venezuela lose they gotta go back to starving and dying. 

Of course Im making a gross generalization here but as an immigrant who lives in both worlds. I can see both sides.

Soy Del Metrooooo, Del Metro soy yoooooooo!

FootballClubMaps.com :: High Quality Football Posters from around the globe. Get yours today!

ElTriMetro

ElTriMetro

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,887 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Club America.

I was born in the US, but my first national team is Mexico. It's where my dad is from. It's my blood. It's my heart. It's how I identify myself. Do I root for the US? Yeah. But when it comes to soccer, it isn't the same. It's not the same passion, the same feeling I get when I put on my Mexico jersey and watch the national team. 

If you, or that fat fuck, or anyone else doesn't like it... FUCK YOU. 

"Red Bull on the pitch - Metro in our hearts."

#RedBullOut

ig101

ig101

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts

Ehhh...  We had no much reason to riot since day one...

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
Who works the most hours?
http://www.bbc.com/c...e-longest-hours.
Even when they are here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users