48 replies to this topic

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
It appears that royer was the captain when they played Phoenix. Is this official?

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

in the BTS video, you see the long-time equipment guy put the armband on Royer. we'll see for sure in less than 10 days. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

It appears that royer was the captain when they played Phoenix. Is this official?

shit... that means he's gone next year

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

jerzyiroc

jerzyiroc

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Yup. He was officially the captain. Lade took the armband when he came in and Royer was subbed out. 

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I'm wondering if they are rotating through some guys to see how they handle it.  Royer isn't the worst option.  Good communicator. Always just assumed it wouldn't be him because he hasn't been here long.  But then again, so many guys haven't been here long.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

I'm wondering if they are rotating through some guys to see how they handle it.  Royer isn't the worst option.  Good communicator. Always just assumed it wouldn't be him because he hasn't been here long.  But then again, so many guys haven't been here long.

As I pointed out in "You got Lade", 80% of our field roster is 25 or under.

Above 25 besides Robles and Meara:

BWP

Collin

Lade

Royer

Felipe

Rzat....

Drop off Rzat as too new and those are your choices. Makes sense Lade got the armband in the 2nd half

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Robles, surely?

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Doesn't the team usually vote for the captain?

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Robles, surely?

He would be my pick as well but there is a school of thought that wants a field player with the armband.  

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Doesn't the team usually vote for the captain?

not sure. they do have a "leadership council" 

i honestly thought cuz he's marsch's guy from MTL, it would've been Felipe. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Since it's MLS and PRO is atrocious, we need a field player to keep them honest.
Lade is not a starter and hard to be taken serious by refs that tower over him.
Felipe has a reputation and yelling at the ref will not help him get the calls he typically gets.
Royer is the obvious choice, but would Jesse really focus on the younger guys and give Davis or Adams the armband? Probably too young for that right now, but wouldn't shock me.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Since it's MLS and PRO is atrocious, we need a field player to keep them honest.
Felipe has a reputation and yelling at the ref will not help him get the calls he typically gets.
Royer is the obvious choice, but would Jesse really focus on the younger guys and give Davis or Adams the armband? Probably too young for that right now, but wouldn't shock me.

Hard to argue against Royer.  Good enough on the field, right personality off the field, and at an age we can expect him to be here a while.     2 or 3 years from now if Adams and/or Davis are still here as starters, cross that bridge when we come to it.    Maybe by then its Kaku, or Long, someone else not even on the team yet.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Just about to write something similar.  I would give it to Davis, but I don't think he's an automatic to start.  I hadn't thought of him, but Royer does make the most sense.  That's assuming BWP doesn't want it.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

All good points.  Can't commit to Davis yet because we're not sure if he's going to start regularly enough.  Adams will start but is young and will be gone in a year or so.  

The two main guys who are going to get respect from an official will be BWP and Royer.  Royer seems pretty bright and also looks to have the respect of everyone on the team.  

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

Didn't initially think of Royer as an option but I'd be more than OK if that's the choice. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users