107 replies to this topic

uptownbull

uptownbull

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • Supports:metro, barca, usa

No matter how fast a new team starts, an expansion team is still an expansion team for the first 3 years. That's all thats been exposed about LAFC. By season 4 the randoms and not-good-enough-but-will-do-for-now players should be cleaned out and upgraded. Also why I don't put much into the 7-0 beyond it properly humbling City's fanbase.

RED. BULL. OUT.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,694 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

thought they had played 12 games, not 10.

LAFC played 2 playoff games on the MLSiB phase.
4-1 W over Seattle, 1-1 with Orlando, lost on PKs.
BWP scored against ORL.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,694 posts
BWP scores against Portland in 4-2 victory:
2:43 https://m.youtube.co...h?v=ZziClv2Ai9g

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal
Up to 6 on the season, scoring every 111 minutes.

Good for him, and yet another indictment of Armas and Hamlett for failing to build a team that allowed him to produce.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,717 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Up to 6 on the season, scoring every 111 minutes.

Good for him, and yet another indictment of Armas and Hamlett for failing to build a team that allowed him to produce.

I'm OK with the "better to sell too soon than too late."  BWP was hardly a sure thing going into this season, in any system (and its usually a failure when you have to adjust the system to the players).   The shame is on not having his replacement(s)  lined up and ready to produce.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

jp917

jp917

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
This reminds me of when the team traded DeRo for Dax and he won the MVP that year

MTF

MTF

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 479 posts

This reminds me of when the team traded DeRo for Dax and he won the MVP that year

Dax for DeRo was a bit shocking when it happened, but we made out pretty well over the long term. Plus we already had Henry. BWP was let go without a replacement. He will do well this year, and would certainly have helped us, but hes past his MVP sell-by date.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

The reason why trades sometimes need time before theyre judged. Who wouldnt make that trade again?

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

I'm OK with the "better to sell too soon than too late."  BWP was hardly a sure thing going into this season, in any system (and its usually a failure when you have to adjust the system to the players).   The shame is on not having his replacement(s)  lined up and ready to produce.   

The key word here is "sell", which implies you get some value in return. That hasn't really happened in the case of BWP. Nor Sacha or Dax for that matter. Each of these players contributed a lot to their new clubs, while we got nothing of value back. So, in effect we didn't really "sell" too soon, we just lost value too soon.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,527 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

The key word here is "sell", which implies you get some value in return. That hasn't really happened in the case of BWP. Nor Sacha or Dax for that matter. Each of these players contributed a lot to their new clubs, while we got nothing of value back. So, in effect we didn't really "sell" too soon, we just lost value too soon.

We got good value for Dax, at the time $400k in allocation money was one of the highest valued trades in MLS history. That didn't last long as expansion clubs started to dish out allocation money like candy, but at the time it was a sizable return. And as much as I love Dax, he hasn't been the dominant player he was for us since he left.

The Kljestan trade was more suspect but we still got at least something. We took a flyer on two young guys, Rivas and Redding, who unfortunately flopped so hard we might as well have gotten nothing. That's the risk with young players sometimes though. And like Dax, Kljestan has regressed a bit since leaving.

BWP is the only one where we truly lost something for nothing. It was essentially a salary dump, but what good is that if you don't give that salary to another player...

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

BWP is the only one where we truly lost something for nothing. It was essentially a salary dump, but what good is that if you don't give that salary to another player...

Not sure what anyone should be expecting to get for a 35 year old striker coming off a season he had 2 goals in 24 appearances.  The real issue is your last statement, they never replaced him.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,694 posts

as much as I love Dax, he hasn't been the dominant player he was for us since he left.

I am not a metrics person, but:
https://www.whoscore...how/Dax-McCarty

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,527 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I am not a metrics person, but:
https://www.whoscore...how/Dax-McCarty

Not saying he's useless lol but even WhoScored has a drop-off in his rating after he left us

https://www.whoscore...ory/Dax-McCarty

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,694 posts

drop-off in his rating after he left us
https://www.whoscore...ory/Dax-McCarty

Drop-off? Career average 7.04. This year 7.02.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,717 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

We got good value for Dax, at the time $400k in allocation money was one of the highest valued trades in MLS history. That didn't last long as expansion clubs started to dish out allocation money like candy, but at the time it was a sizable return. And as much as I love Dax, he hasn't been the dominant player he was for us since he left.

The Kljestan trade was more suspect but we still got at least something. We took a flyer on two young guys, Rivas and Redding, who unfortunately flopped so hard we might as well have gotten nothing. That's the risk with young players sometimes though. And like Dax, Kljestan has regressed a bit since leaving.

As others have corrected, we got a lot of money for Dax, and history has shown the merits of making room for Adams.   

Sacha was a salary dump, and we won the shield the next season without him.    If anyone was willing to give us something more for him, we certainly would have taken it.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users