112 replies to this topic

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

There is ZERO chance Sacha would have handled a bench role without causing problems. They got Redding, 12 years Sachas junior, for him. Redding was a 62 CB, a position of need, that had 30 appearances over three different levels of the USMNT youth teams. He was a AAA prospect that just didnt enjoy soccer enough to put the work in. The trade was worth the risk, if it worked, RB would have a CB starter for 10+ years.

The BIG difference between the Sacha trade and letting BWP go is they replaced Sacha with Kaku and BWP with... Barlow?

I love BWP. I think they should put a statue of him heel clicking outside RBA. Can you fault the team for not resigning a 34 year old coming off a 2 goals in 24 appearances season? I cant. But yea, they should have spent his DP salary on another DP striker.

I actually agree with most of this. With Sacha, they tried but failed, and I also wouldn't resign BWP. The problem is though, when you lose guys like Dax, Lawrence, BWP, Adams, Sims, without replacing them with equal talent (whether by not wanting to spend or failing to get value in a trade), you ultimately end up in position we are now. Hopefully with Thelwell, things will start to turn around.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I actually thought LA signed BWP on the cheap, but they didn't: https://www.sportekz...ayers-salaries/ . According to the above, paid 1.2 mil. BWP definitely played like garbage last year, so can't really blame FO for not keeping him, but looks like LAFC brass knew something ours didn't. It's another case though where we saved a lot of money, but didn't really do anything with it to upgrade forward position.

What they knew is that their ownership throws round money like it's nothing and they play a system and have the playmaking talent that would allow BWP to poach in the box. For us to spend big on a 34-year-old coming off nagging leg injuries in order to press in our system knowing that we have little margin for error in our budget? That would have been, at best, risky. 

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

What they knew is that their ownership throws round money like it's nothing and they play a system and have the playmaking talent that would allow BWP to poach in the box. For us to spend big on a 34-year-old coming off nagging leg injuries in order to press in our system knowing that we have little margin for error in our budget? That would have been, at best, risky. 

These figures turned out to be wrong, numbers from last year, we agreed later in the thread. The point is that we saved a lot of money, but didn't do much with it to replace BWP.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,676 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT
LAFC: 4, Vancouver: 0. 15th minute. BWP with a brace so far.

Moves into 6th in all time MLS goal scoring over Ante Razov, now chasing Kei Kamara (129), Jaime Moreno (133), and Jeff Cunningham (134). Probably will end his career 6th, but glad to see him move up.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

LAFC: 4, Vancouver: 0. 15th minute. BWP with a brace so far.

Moves into 6th in all time MLS goal scoring over Ante Razov, now chasing Kei Kamara (129), Jaime Moreno (133), and Jeff Cunningham (134). Probably will end his career 6th, but glad to see him move up.

Actually has a hat trick already. Good for him.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,287 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Two fantastic goals. 7 already (+1 in the Tourney).

Thanks, Hamlett.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,695 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, US, Russia

Two fantastic goals. 7 already (+1 in the Tourney).

Thanks, Hamlett.

The irony of us having no goals from forwards while this happens, is hilarious, yet tragic.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,005 posts

that first goal - spinning round kick to the lower left corner

edit - just watched more of the highlights and he did almost the same thing for 2nd goal but put it down the middle!

guess his adductor is totally healed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

congrats BWP!

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users