62 replies to this topic

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador

Again, you are projecting doom and gloom. That's crazy talk and why be negative in your life all the time. Every team is a couple of injuries away from disaster. Petke is gone, sports and life is unfair. Let's complain about Obama while we are at it or maybe show that we support Obama screwing us over by complaining about Bush. You see where I am going with this? What we have now is good, let's not complain or cry for Petke or that "firing" exists in this world, even when our buddy Jimmy from accounting gets that extension. I mean the Petke shock is absurd because it was public last summer, even before Ali Curtis existed, that Red Bull management had sought interviews with Caleb Porter and Gregg Berhalter. I'm not being cautious when rooting for my team, I'm a grown man and can take losses. But these guys have something different going on. Enjoy it while it lasts.

I don't think if you noticed but everybody's post about Petke was moved because that was the Marsch thread. No one brought up Petke before you did. not being negative just cautious. Why can't I love the way this team is playing but also not getting carried away and being worried. Like I said before. I'm not optimistic but it doesn't meant I can't enjoy watching this team play now.

LONG LIVE METRO

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,233 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

I can enjoy the team now, support the players and support Marsch, but still not support the ownership and continue to remind them that I don't approve of how they fucked over Petke. There is no conflict in this. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Petke wasn't the best but he was also playing with someone else cards and learning on the job. Marsch has had years of experience.

One of those cards Petke had to play was Henry, not too bad of a hand.
And at this point Marsch has less head coaching experience (only one year in Montreal) than Petke.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,228 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

difference is, marsch prior to being a head coach, learned more from his mentors. petke didn't have much of a mentor when he was an asst coach, hehe.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

McSoccer

McSoccer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

difference is, marsch prior to being a head coach, learned more from his mentors. petke didn't have much of a mentor when he was an asst coach, hehe.

Yea, no one's going to compare Backe to Bradley, but I think you could argue Petke showed little to no growth as a manager in his second season.

onionsack

onionsack

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos

Yea, no one's going to compare Backe to Bradley, but I think you could argue Petke showed little to no growth as a manager in his second season.

By that metric a lot of coaches would be fired.

Win a trophy year one, come a goal away from playing for a championship in the second year. Two NY area coaches did exactly that last year, one still has a job. Which begs the question, what does growth as a manager mean? I think that is a piss poor metric to judge a coach on, some arbitrary and subjective observations.

Mike Petke

Year 1 - Wins Supporters Shield (best record regular season)

Year 2 - Eastern Conference Finals (loses by 1 goal)

Gio Savarese

Year 1 - Wins Fall Championship & Soccer Bowl

Year 2 - Semi Finals (loses by 1 goal)

Had the Cosmos fired Gio after last season (they gave him an extension actually) the fans would have been every bit as upset and pissed of as Red Bull fans (maybe less so due to Red Bulls past transgressions to fans). 

RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

break516beatz

break516beatz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Man United

8d4fGoq.gif

(Man this gif is getting some mileage.)

F U NYCFC

Our home, our club. You will always be #2 in NY/NJ

If you want to hear my ramblings on football and hockey on Twitter, give me a follow: @jeffreykleiman

McSoccer

McSoccer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

By that metric a lot of coaches would be fired.

Win a trophy year one, come a goal away from playing for a championship in the second year. Two NY area coaches did exactly that last year, one still has a job. Which begs the question, what does growth as a manager mean? I think that is a piss poor metric to judge a coach on, some arbitrary and subjective observations.

Mike Petke
Year 1 - Wins Supporters Shield (best record regular season)
Year 2 - Eastern Conference Finals (loses by 1 goal)

Gio Savarese
Year 1 - Wins Fall Championship & Soccer Bowl
Year 2 - Semi Finals (loses by 1 goal)

Had the Cosmos fired Gio after last season (they gave him an extension actually) the fans would have been every bit as upset and pissed of as Red Bull fans (maybe less so due to Red Bulls past transgressions to fans). 

I'm not saying it was fair to fire him. I'm just saying if you look at the talent he had (Henry, Peguy, BWP, Sam, Robles, Olave, Cahill) I think there's an argument to be had that he didn't do enough with it.
It's way too early to tell, but it currently looks like firing him was the right move.

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,739 posts
  • Supports:Bora Bora Metro

I'm not saying it was fair to fire him. I'm just saying if you look at the talent he had (Henry, Peguy, BWP, Sam, Robles, Olave, Cahill) I think there's an argument to be had that he didn't do enough with it.
It's way too early to tell, but it currently looks like firing him was the right move.

Did you just fall off the turnip truck?

The BIG PICTURE here is not so much about the merits of Marsch vs Petke as it is about the DEMONSTRABLE FACT which has been PROVEN TIME AND TIME AGAIN that Red Bull has no vision and no strategic thinking that isn't about how it can place its logo in front of as many eyeballs as possible. That means this: no coach's job is safe for more than a season at a time, and even worse, Red Bull can't even stick to meaningful criteria by which to judge the performance of its coaches. I have said, as have most people here, that Jesse Marsch is a damn good coach, but there is no fucking way Red Bull can be trusted not to fuck him over in the most sordid way possible.

╔╦╗┌─┐┌┬┐┬─┐┌─┐  ╔═╗┌─┐┬─┐┌─┐┬  ┬┌─┐┬─┐
║║║├┤  │ ├┬┘│ │  ╠╣ │ │├┬┘├┤ └┐┌┘├┤ ├┬┘
╩ ╩└─┘ ┴ ┴└─└─┘  ╚  └─┘┴└─└─┘ └┘ └─┘┴└─

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,233 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

The BIG PICTURE here is not so much about the merits of Marsch vs Petke as it is about the DEMONSTRABLE FACT which has been PROVEN TIME AND TIME AGAIN that Red Bull has no vision and no strategic thinking that isn't about how it can place its logo in front of as many eyeballs as possible. That means this: no coach's job is safe for more than a season at a time, and even worse, Red Bull can't even stick to meaningful criteria by which to judge the performance of its coaches. I have said, as have most people here, that Jesse Marsch is a damn good coach, but there is no fucking way Red Bull can be trusted not to fuck him over in the most sordid way possible.

Oh man, can I quote this?

NYC is Red

NYC is Red

Reserve Team

• PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Man United, US Soccer

I'm enjoying this high-tempo style of play. While Petke will forever be a club legend, i certainly don't miss his boring 4-4-2 formation.

McSoccer

McSoccer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Did you just fall off the turnip truck?

But this is THE FIRST time any GM or coach has come in with a real vision (not just some cliche "As Long As We're Breating" quotes) and actually implemented it.  There are huge differences between what's happened in the past and what's happening now.  We've always had one of the largest payrolls in MLS; our payroll now is more akin to an RSL or Sporting KC (low end DPs).  The strategies of past GMs has been to bring in big money DPs, name players from Europe.  Now it's to bring in players that fit a system.  The season has barely started, but so far Curtis and Marsch have implemented their system onto a roster not many had faith in and have gotten results.  Will it last?  Will the team's legs fall of in mid-July?  Who knows.  I think people would be looking at this a lot different if it wasn't so attached to the Petke firing.

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Rochester Rhinos, USMNT

But this is THE FIRST time any GM or coach has come in with a real vision (not just some cliche "As Long As We're Breating" quotes) and actually implemented it.  There are huge differences between what's happened in the past and what's happening now.  We've always had one of the largest payrolls in MLS; our payroll now is more akin to an RSL or Sporting KC (low end DPs).  The strategies of past GMs has been to bring in big money DPs, name players from Europe.  Now it's to bring in players that fit a system.  The season has barely started, but so far Curtis and Marsch have implemented their system onto a roster not many had faith in and have gotten results.  Will it last?  Will the team's legs fall of in mid-July?  Who knows.  I think people would be looking at this a lot different if it wasn't so attached to the Petke firing.

I like where your going with this. They are taking a new strategic approach to the game. I think what they are doing is similar to what happened in the movie Moneyball. 

Before Red Bull just threw money at big name players. The results were decent, especially with a supporters shield, but not  a home run.

Now instead of throwing money at players, the management is trying to build an actual team by filling in the blanks with lower paid but solid players. Lets see how this pans out. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,228 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

sadly, i agree.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts
  • Supports:Metro

If the end result is not an MLS Cup (they've made it clear they don't give a fuck about the SS, CCL, or USOC) and attendance/press continues to be dwarfed by Fake City, does anyone have confidence they won't blow it up?

You shouldn't, because they will.

They always do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users