101 replies to this topic

hoofit

hoofit

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

I might be callous or whatever but i really don't give a shit.  It's great when crowd #'s are high but 18k or whatever seems good when the 18k are into it.

That said, i'm doing my part to increase attendance.  Wife induced a few hours ago, labor should kick-off in the morning, so by this time tomorrow there'll be at least one new metro/red bulls fan.

Cheers.

MetroFever

MetroFever

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Attendance and no-shows isn't just a Red Bulls problem....it's all of the local teams (except ironically the Knicks).

I went to a Giants home game last September on a Monday night vs the Skins....an EXTREMELY warm night. The team has been around forever and there were still between 5-7K empty seats. Half of the fans left after the 3rd quarter during a rare big lead....why even show up to the game if you're going to leave THAT early (yes, we all have to go to work the next day).

The Nets in Brooklyn? Those few fans you hear on TV are corporate tix given away. Against mid-level and mediocre teams, the Barclays Center is a ghost town.

During the 1970's and 1980's , NY and NJ fans were diehards for their team, win or lose. Now the fans who actually show are more interested in posting a picture on Facebook DURING the game instead of actually watching it, while Seattle and Portland fans are cheering and chanting from beginning to end.

Different era, different times.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts
  • Supports:Metro
As always, it boils down to poor execution on the following:

"identity", "marketing", "branding", "community engagement"

2/4 are easy fixes. The other two require an ownership change. It is what it is.

#RedBullOut

Metromaniac01

Metromaniac01

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, US Nats, SMF

Lots of good points in here. I agree with MetroForever that this is a problem for almost every team in the area. I heard Fox and CBS broadcasters say stuff like, "We were told it was going to be a raucous crowd here at MetLife, but it's pretty tame." From TV it was easy to spot lots of empty seats for both Jets and Giants games all season. Someone else said the Devils fanbase blows too. That's a pretty accurate statement.

The whole traffic vs train debate is a real issue. Yea people take the train to Yankee Stadium but a lot of those people live within reach of the train. For some reason Red Bull has not been able to capture any fans around the Path or with easy access to the Path. Now with the NYC team a lot of those potential fans have been lost. The easiest or most obvious solution to me, is converting residents of Harrison and Newark into fans. Then move out to other NJ towns where fans could take the train to RBA.

That has not seemed to work at all and the team still seems to be most popular amongst folk in the NJ suburbs. The gameday experience and traffic is horribly foreign to these people and I am sure many had terrible days trying to get to the stadium and just decided forget it.

There's not one silver bullet to fix the problem. Casual fans need to be converted into serious fans that will make sure they get there early and will deal with traffic on the way home to see the team they love. More local fans need to be created. Could they sell $10 upper deck tickets to walk-ups with a Harrison ID? Cap it if you're afraid of losing revenue and want to create demand. As for the suburban families dealing with traffic and parking, that's a tougher one. Are there more parking lots that could be bought? Perhaps it'd be easier to direct fans to a lot a few miles away and bus them to and from RBA. What if they made a "happy hour" where in the 60 minutes before kickoff beers weren't a million dollars each? That might convince people to show up early and disperse the pre-game traffic.

I don't know what ideas are best and which are terrible but those took me about 3 minutes. It's not going to be one massive change that starts filling the stadium. Its small changes that one-by-one improve the game day experience. That will slowly build attendance until the place is noticeably more full.

Then we can complain about how RBA is nowhere close to being capable of handling a sell-out crowd. Out of control bathroom and concession lines that are borderline inhumane. I think we've got quite a few years before were dealing with that more than once or twice a season.  :cheers:

Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:My master's bidding
  • Supports:Sauron

I might be callous or whatever but i really don't give a shit.  It's great when crowd #'s are high but 18k or whatever seems good when the 18k are into it.

That said, i'm doing my part to increase attendance.  Wife induced a few hours ago, labor should kick-off in the morning, so by this time tomorrow there'll be at least one new metro/red bulls fan.

Cheers.

congrats.

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts
  • Interests:Candy Crush
  • Supports:Los Red Bull de Nueva York

Possible NJT strike may affect attendance at the next game.

FC Metropolis 7 Gotham City FC 0

The Falcon

The Falcon

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Can't force people to buy tickets and go to games.  18-20,000 is still decent.  Give it time.  The league is now 21 years old, which means young kids who grew up with the league are now of age where they can buy tickets and go to games themselves without dad needing to drive them.  And a lot of these kids played soccer growing up, still live in the area and are interested in going to games with friends or a girl.  This is a big future demographic for the team and league, if not already here.  Back to the attendance, my English Eurosnob friend said it when I would drag him to games, "in ten years, this place will be sold out every game."  Give it time.  Plus, we usually start of slow with attendance and pickup when hockey and basketball end and we're the only game in town through the summer.  Stay positive.   

Forza.

JayJeeMoNee

JayJeeMoNee

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,934 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USA, Everton, Barca

The team has two pretty huge things going against it that aren't going to change anytime soon that deter people and that's the name and the town of Harrison. The few times i brought someone new to the game they questioned why the team is named after a energy drink and why the traffic is so awful in and out of Harrison. The raised parking prices this year aren't going to help that second cause at all. 

At which parking lot(s) did they raise the prices?

#REDBULLOUT

My Metro fandom on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/JayJeeMoNee

"Forget returning to the Metrostars; we should be called FC Revolving Door and be done with it." - Voice of Reason II

"In between soccer games this weekend, I played 36 holes of golf with my dad. Playing golf, I realized, is a bit like watching the Red Bulls play. Both can have the tendency to feel like self-inflicted torture. You wonder why you do it at all. But when it’s over, you can’t wait to do it again. To New England we go, then." - Andrew Keh

"In the Church they say that suffering is good for the soul. I like to view my love for this team as being a spiritual exercise." - Steve B2

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

The whole traffic vs train debate is a real issue. Yea people take the train to Yankee Stadium but a lot of those people live within reach of the train. For some reason Red Bull has not been able to capture any fans around the Path or with easy access to the Path.

The PATH station at Harrison is a complete joke. With a single staircase in and out, it's a huge hazard and completely unworkable even at the current crowd size.

On Sunday, there was a 15-20 minute delay (great, on the 1st day of the season). As a result, there was a packed train that left JSQ around 12:15 that a bunch of people could not even get on. We took the next one which also got full 8-10 minutes later, and when it got to Harrison, the people from the previous train were still filing out and it took another 10 minutes on the platform to get outside.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,382 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

At which parking lot(s) did they raise the prices?

they don't own or control the pricing at any of the parking lots.  The city of Harrison raised prices on the lots closest to the stadium.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,382 posts

The PATH station at Harrison is a complete joke. With a single staircase in and out, it's a huge hazard and completely unworkable even at the current crowd size.

On Sunday, there was a 15-20 minute delay (great, on the 1st day of the season). As a result, there was a packed train that left JSQ around 12:15 that a bunch of people could not even get on. We took the next one which also got full 8-10 minutes later, and when it got to Harrison, the people from the previous train were still filing out and it took another 10 minutes on the platform to get outside.

Did you notice they actually have a good deal of the steel framing up for the new station?

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,664 posts
  • Supports:My local MLS team
I don't worry about attendance, because it's not my job to fill the seats at RBA. If Red Bull would like to pay me to do some marketing for them, then sure. I'll help them raise numbers. Until then, it makes no difference to me and it's Marc de Grandpre's problem.
Loyal supporter of the 2013 and 2015 MLS Champions: RBNY/Metro
RBNY II aka "The Baby Bulls" are the 2016 USL Cup Champions!

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,382 posts

I don't worry about attendance, because it's not my job to fill the seats at RBA. If Red Bull would like to pay me to do some marketing for them, then sure. I'll help them raise numbers. Until then, it makes no difference to me and it's Marc de Grandpre's problem.

I only worry insofar as having a full stadium - theoretically - makes us more attractive to top talent.  That said, I don't think we've ever lost a target for that reason, and there are plenty of Gideon Baah's in the world who are thrilled to come here, coming from 10,000 seat stadiums.  And I'd rather not have to see references to it on message boards... but I don't give a shit what the haters say long as we beat them on the field.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

MTF

MTF

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, USMNT

It's very true that attendance and no-shows isn't just a Red Bulls problem in the Metro area. There are just too many distractions and attending a professional game in person in NY/NJ is basically an all-day commitment (at least for the Giants, Jets, and for me as a Long Islander, the Red Bulls). As an Islanders fan supporting a team that hasn't won a single playoff series since 1993, I couldn't believe that the Devils couldn't sell out all those years when they were winning, not even playoff games until you'd get to the Finals! I used to say if you put the Devils team in Islanders jerseys and moved them to Nassau Coliseum they'd sell out no problem. The Rangers and Knicks are a different animal. MSG is a hub of NYC and with all the corporate money every game is sold out even if the butts aren't in the seats. The Yankees get a lot of tourist dollars, and for the NFL there's only 8 home games. Everyone else just needs to win. If the Red Bulls win an MLS Cup or two, they'd see their average attendance bump up.

matador

matador

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts
  • Supports:metro, USMNT

not really sure i buy the 'just win' argument.  is there really an army of soccer fans that are interested in MLS that would show up if we won an MLS Cup?  If people are following the league and that into it they'd probably be showing up for the 2 shields and 1 eastern conference final appearance in the past 3 years anyway.  seems to me that we have the same old 15k die hards and then the more casuals kind of just rotate in and out and fluctuate wildly, and its impossible to either turn them into die hards or to at least consistently draw more casuals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users