Cosmos: New investors and a potential bid for NYRB?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
I would be kinda eh on this. Plus we would have people singing Cosmos in songs now to go along with Metro, Red Bulls, NY, NJ etc etc etc.

I guess green is still better then blue if this actually ever happens lol

Father Ted

Father Ted

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Why would an investment group buy the Cosmos and then buy RB?  Just buy RB.  Who cares about "Cosmos" besides the few hundred disgruntled Cosmos regulars?

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,355 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

I just don't think the team is for sale. 

RB knew they were going to be causing controversy when they branded these teams like this. They must have viewed it as a long game where eventually, this will be normalized and a nonissue. Children born today will think this is just how things are. Now they have a team competing for the title of a top European league.. and MLS was always a long term investment anyway. 

RB isn't going anywhere. This is just some potential investor's attempt to try and appear ambitious. 

There is no other play. No other angle to work, besides offering empty promises of buying an existing team, they have nothing. Garber just said there will be no NY3, so this is just about the only aspiration they could possible assert. 

It's not going to happen. 

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,355 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

Why would an investment group buy the Cosmos and then buy RB?  Just buy RB.  Who cares about "Cosmos" besides the few hundred disgruntled Cosmos regulars?

Exactly, what does the Cosmos name get you? A couple of hundred HARDCORES? Just buy the team and name them anything that isn't just some derivative shit.

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts
  • Interests:Candy Crush
  • Supports:Los Red Bull de Nueva York

Who needs these "hardcores" sitting next to us in the SW? I personally would not want to be sitting next to or near them.

FC Metropolis 7 Gotham City FC 0

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts
  • Supports:METRO

IMO, buying & renaming RB will not satisfy any fans of the recent reincarnation of the Cosmos.
I don't know that RB has current concern for any club other than Leipzig. IIRC, it sold players from Salzburg & is content to let RBS be a power in the Austrian league. With investment in a couple of impact players, RBS could have qualified for the Champions League & increased revenue by a minimum 20 million euro.

rbs has never made it into champions league group stage after 10 years of trying 

if and when rbny sells there won't be a rumor about it 

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,730 posts
  • Supports:My local MLS team

Seattle would protest if we became the Cosmos because Seattle invented the color green.

Loyal supporter of the 2013 and 2015 MLS Champions: RBNY/Metro
RBNY II aka "The Baby Bulls" are the 2016 USL Cup Champions!

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts
  • Interests:Candy Crush
  • Supports:Los Red Bull de Nueva York

This unrelated tidbit of news concerning the settlement of the tax dispute between RB and Harrison might be relevant to a sale of the team. Most likely not.

http://bigapplesocce...rticle_id=46675

FC Metropolis 7 Gotham City FC 0

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Honestly any name but Red Bull would be wonderful. 

RiverEnergyDrink

RiverEnergyDrink

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, C.A.R.P., NYR

I don't really buy it.  Why would you sell now when the expansion fees of teams 25 and 26 was set at 150 million and the fees for 27 and 28 will probably be higher.  The value of a franchise only seems to be getting higher. 

Also, you would turn more people off with another rebrand.  If someone buys, just be the red bulls or metro. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,664 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

rbs has never made it into champions league group stage after 10 years of trying

RBS was 3 minutes from qualifying this year, when a defender's deflection put an equalizer over its keeper. Should have been up by 2 or 3 when that happened.
Group stage starts at 12.7 million euro, plus 3 home crowds & some TV money. They may have zipped out like Zagreb, but any draws would have been 500K.
So, probably 15M.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Olesh

Olesh

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars Black

This sounds like a sales ploy by the current Cosmos investors more than anything else.

Right now they're looking at selling the brand for pennies on the dollar on the brink on insolvency. The brand alone without a team is worth very little. So creating the illusion that the brand is potentially link-able to MLS is an angle to make the investment palatable to buyers and maybe squeeze out a few more bucks.

At this point, MLS is really the only path to getting a return on buying the Cosmos. Otherwise, you're basically paying 4+ million extra start-up costs for a USL team and/or a t-shirt company, which seems like a steep ask.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts
  • Supports:Metro

IMO, buying & renaming RB will not satisfy any fans of the recent reincarnation of the Cosmos.
I don't know that RB has current concern for any club other than Leipzig. IIRC, it sold players from Salzburg & is content to let RBS be a power in the Austrian league. With investment in a couple of impact players, RBS could have qualified for the Champions League & increased revenue by a minimum 20 million euro.

True RB is really focused on Leipzig and pretty much only Leipzig now. They are the flagship franchise. RBS fans defintely aren't happy that they are sending the good players such as Keita and Sabitzer to Leipzig, treating as RBS as a farm team for the Bundesliga side. And seeing how Leipzig have started and how their squad is set up, they are gonna make the Champions league this year. 

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,730 posts
  • Supports:My local MLS team
If we became the Cosmos, we could be really obnoxious like the other MLS teams named after old NASL teams and start telling everybody that our team was founded in 1970. We could also tell everyone that we've won the championship 8 times in addition to our 2 Supporters Shields and assorted minor trophies. Of course, that would completely depend on us behaving like Cascadia douchebags.
Loyal supporter of the 2013 and 2015 MLS Champions: RBNY/Metro
RBNY II aka "The Baby Bulls" are the 2016 USL Cup Champions!

John Flushing

John Flushing

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts
  • Interests:www.metrofanatic.com
  • Supports:My Own Self Interests.

Metro FC please.

I second that.

"What shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users