64 replies to this topic

regulator

regulator

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
You really think our current owner - the north American sporting face of a global multi billion dollar conglomerate - will look at a guy fired because of a very public and borderline homophobic rant, and say "yeah that's the guy I want people to think of when they hear Red Bull" ?

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

You really think our current owner - the north American sporting face of a global multi billion dollar conglomerate - will look at a guy fired because of a very public and borderline homophobic rant, and say "yeah that's the guy I want people to think of when they hear Red Bull" ?

Sounds like Petke is a perfect fit for NYCFC when you put it like that. 

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
There's no point to really even discussing Petke coming back. He wasn't coming back to begin with and after why he got fired in RSL he's really really not coming back now.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Petke is not being given enough credit what what he's done here. He came even closer to making MLS Cup than March did against NE on the road, won first ever trophy (Supporter's Shield) and then got fired after just two seasons. His stint at RSL was pretty decent as well, going to Conf SF last year, which I feel was over-achievement given lack of roster quality. This year they were also on the way to make play-offs with him at the helm, and he got fired for underestimating politically correct reality we are in, not for poor coaching. If the Metro does let go of Armas, this is the opportunity to get a quality HC who already proved he can be quite successful with the club. I highly doubt there is going to be anyone better available.

my saying no is more due to what happened at RSL, but during his time here, I remember plenty of times we need guys on the field cuz the starters were gassed. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Now no, but time would have passed, and honestly who cares if he cursed at the ref say 6 months later. This has no bearing on RB global brand whatsoever. Yeah, it was a semi hot news at the time, earning him 3 weeks of suspension, but he served it and it's old news. Heck, he would still be the coach of Real even now if his assistant didn't prove really competent and won games while he was on suspension. The whole BS politically correct incident is blown out of proportion, and by the time Armas is fired it will be ancient history.

The fact remains though that Petke in just two years was one of the most successful coaches in Metro history and actually won first ever major trophy here and reached conference finals.  Everyone loves to suck Marsch's dick, myself included, but Petke did just as well. If you want competent coach to replace Armas, there is an option to get a guy who shouldn't have been fired from Metro in the first place, and if Metro brass has any brain, they need to seriously consider it.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

if Metro brass has any brain

You know they dont

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

odsum25

odsum25

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

I'll always love Petke for his contributions to this team as a player and as a coach, but did you read his non-apology apology? He didn't just "curse at the ref". I want him nowhere near this team, at least in a senior position. If he wants to work with the academy or do community outreach to earn everyone's trust again, I might be ok with it. (Assuming that he was hired with the understanding that he had a very short leash and he actually apologizes for his actions in a humble way.)

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

You know they dont

I suppose I am not holding my breath, but I just want to have a really good coach on this team after many years of failing assholes since the team was established - until Petke, then Marsch, both of whom proved probably the most competent in Metro history. And Petke was a rookie coach who after Metro success actually did quite well for Real with shitty roster. Looking at the team coaching carousel historically, instead of getting unknown ones, which will likely fail, here is a know commodity who succeeded for the team and outside of it. Sounds like someone worth giving major considerations to.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

He didn't just "curse at the ref". 

Yes, that's all he did - several times. No more and no less.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Welllllllllll he also wrote them a letter...

odsum25

odsum25

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Using a slur, of any type, is not just cursing at the ref. If it slipped out once, ok, but then to follow it up with a note sent to the officials' dressing room? That's premeditated.

If you did that at your job, would you expect to be fired? I sure would. And I'd expect it to haunt me at future interviews too.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Now no, but time would have passed, and honestly who cares if he cursed at the ref say 6 months later. This has no bearing on RB global brand whatsoever. Yeah, it was a semi hot news at the time, earning him 3 weeks of suspension, but he served it and it's old news. Heck, he would still be the coach of Real even now if his assistant didn't prove really competent and won games while he was on suspension. The whole BS politically correct incident is blown out of proportion, and by the time Armas is fired it will be ancient history.

The fact remains though that Petke in just two years was one of the most successful coaches in Metro history and actually won first ever major trophy here and reached conference finals.  Everyone loves to suck Marsch's dick, myself included, but Petke did just as well. If you want competent coach to replace Armas, there is an option to get a guy who shouldn't have been fired from Metro in the first place, and if Metro brass has any brain, they need to seriously consider it.

This is honestly embarrassing to read. If you really think Mike Petke is the best person available to manage the team given its current philosophies then I don't know what to tell you. 

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

I suppose I am not holding my breath, but I just want to have a really good coach on this team after many years of failing assholes since the team was established - until Petke, then Marsch, both of whom proved probably the most competent in Metro history. And Petke was a rookie coach who after Metro success actually did quite well for Real with shitty roster. Looking at the team coaching carousel historically, instead of getting unknown ones, which will likely fail, here is a know commodity who succeeded for the team and outside of it. Sounds like someone worth giving major considerations to.

First, Petke had a squad and he underachieved. When you have guys like henry, olave and cahill on your team than your expected to win at least, open cup, champions league, MLS or the supporters shield every season. In his last season he flopped.

Second, petke acts like a child and has a terrible temper. How many times does he have to get suspended? He gets paid to manage not being suspended

Third, using a slur multiple times is not cool. He is supposed to be a leader on the team. How can an organization have a leader that thinks its appropriate to use that language. Its embarrassing.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT
Still love Petke. Don't care what he supposedly said, basically hear it every soccer game ever anyway. Just wasn't worth it over a meaningless game.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Still love Petke. Don't care what he supposedly said, basically hear it every soccer game ever anyway. Just wasn't worth it over a meaningless game.

Just because you hear it doesnt make it right.homophobic slurs or slurs in general do not belong in soccer. Especially if your a leader of an organization who is trying to develop and attract youth players.

If you think that is okay, then i dont know what to say but seek help.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users