110 replies to this topic

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Charlotte got Shinyashiki from Colorado for 225K + potential 175K. Not a big scorer (just 7, 4, 4 goals in his three full seasons), but in a world where Hamlett spent 200K on a draft pick...

I just dread what happens if Fletcher does not start scoring / is sent back and our options are Klimala, Barlow, a rookie, and a ghost.

I dont think the draft pick made an appearance yet with rb2.

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I dont think the draft pick made an appearance yet with rb2.

ovonte has. Will Kuhn is doing another year of college and the goalie we drafted has played

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

ovonte has. Will Kuhn is doing another year of college and the goalie we drafted has played

Seth Kuhn, I assume.

Hamlett spent 275K on two college draft picks, one who is known to not be available until graduation, and another who they are trying to convert from a forward to a defender. Fine, who knows, they may work out, but none is gonna win Rookie Young Player of the Year. (And at this point, neither is likely to play in MLS in 2022.)

Shinyashiki won Rookie of the Year three years ago and was acquired for 225K (potentially more if he hits his targets, but that's fine). I don't know if he would be a good fit for this team, or if other forwards could have been available for a similar price.

I just question the use of funds.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Seth Kuhn, I assume.

Hamlett spent 275K on two college draft picks, one who is known to not be available until graduation, and another who they are trying to convert from a forward to a defender. Fine, who knows, they may work out, but none is gonna win Rookie Young Player of the Year. (And at this point, neither is likely to play in MLS in 2022.)

Shinyashiki won Rookie of the Year three years ago and was acquired for 225K (potentially more if he hits his targets, but that's fine). I don't know if he would be a good fit for this team, or if other forwards could have been available for a similar price.

I just question the use of funds.

yep Seth idk why I said will. I dont mind the money being spent on some potential shinyashiki is an average mls player at this point

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

Matthew Nocita hasn't received his military deferral waiver and has removed @newyorkredbulls from his social media accounts which is concerning given the amount spent on him.

O'Vonte Mullings has started to look decent in the right wingback role.

Giannis Nikopolidis was in the 18 for NYRBII once, as the starting GK, and was red carded in the second minute.

Seth Kuhn is going back to school.

I wouldn't call this draft class a success but there is a very, very small sample size.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
The key here is to ignore the draft all together, or at least stop spending GAM to trade up but with Hammy taking a front seat in the organization for the time being thats not going to happen.

Our academy kids can barely get a minute for the first team right now, and deservedly so. Sometimes youll get a Sean Nealis, or on a lesser scale a Tom Barlow.

With the 2s transitioning to 3rd division soccer next season stocking the reserves with draft picks seems kind of pointless. Better chance at a lower level to go academy heavy and hope someone starts looking the part.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts

Matthew Nocita hasn't received his military deferral waiver and has removed @newyorkredbulls from his social media accounts which is concerning given the amount spent on him.

O'Vonte Mullings has started to look decent in the right wingback role.

Giannis Nikopolidis was in the 18 for NYRBII once, as the starting GK, and was red carded in the second minute.

Seth Kuhn is going back to school.

I wouldn't call this draft class a success but there is a very, very small sample size.

How long do we own the MLS rights for Kuhn and nocita?

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Hysterical.   What a waste.  

I'm still optimistic about Ovante. 

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I'm not one of those that has written off the draft entirely, but spending anything other than GAM that's literally going to expire that week is wasteful. It's such a crapshoot outside of the first few picks that there's no possible way to predict the guy you just spent $200k on will pan out any better than the guy you could have gotten for free.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I'm not one of those that has written off the draft entirely, but spending anything other than GAM that's literally going to expire that week is wasteful. It's such a crapshoot outside of the first few picks that there's no possible way to predict the guy you just spent $200k on will pan out any better than the guy you could have gotten for free.

The draft isn't anything like it used to be, but a top 7 pick should quickly be on an MLS roster.     

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts

How long do we own the MLS rights for Kuhn and nocita?

MLS rights are owned for one year from the draft. If the team couldn't come to terms, the player is eligible to play in any non-MLS affiliated USL team, NISA, overseas.

@CurseofCaricola

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

MLS rights are owned for one year from the draft. If the team couldn't come to terms, the player is eligible to play in any non-MLS affiliated USL team, NISA, overseas.

So what if, after a year, another MLS team wants him.  Do they have to acquire his rights from Red Bull, or is he an MLS free agent?

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts

So what if, after a year, another MLS team wants him.  Do they have to acquire his rights from Red Bull, or is he an MLS free agent?

They would need to acquire his rights. To be a bit more clear, the rights are held until December 31st of following year. So Nocita or Kuhn couldn't play for another MLS team until the 2024 season, unless we waived their rights.

In the past, there were also agreements with players that were drafted that ended up with the MLS team that prevented them from playing on the MLS team until they were eligible (Lema, Metzger, etc...). I don't see that anywhere in the rules this year but given the Michael Knapp situation, likely still a thing.

@CurseofCaricola

richbatt

richbatt

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

The key here is to ignore the draft all together, or at least stop spending GAM to trade up but with Hammy taking a front seat in the organization for the time being thats not going to happen.

Our academy kids can barely get a minute for the first team right now, and deservedly so. Sometimes youll get a Sean Nealis, or on a lesser scale a Tom Barlow.

With the 2s transitioning to 3rd division soccer next season stocking the reserves with draft picks seems kind of pointless. Better chance at a lower level to go academy heavy and hope someone starts looking the part.

Agreed. In 2020 they traded up to get Seagrist, passing on defenders Alistair Johnston, Tanner Beason and Nkosi Tafari. In short, the team can't draft, so stop spending money there.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
I am not against spending on the draft if we have good intel on a player.

I dont think the draft is dead. You will still get decent players. The Canadian national team was basically built off of the MLS draft system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users